Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 10:43   #16

Boat: 1989 Hunter Legend 37
Re: Help with tips for improving radio sound quality

An external speaker made a tremendous difference on my boat. It was inexpensive, but running the wiring did take some effort.

slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:05   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
While a mismatch will attenuate signal strength, it can't affect audio fidelity.

I can tell you this statement is not correct. A bad mismatch at the antenna connection to the radio can cause the audio to be distorted. A typical example is a broken circuit caused by a lightning strike. The radio will seem to work but the sound quality is bad. It is uncommon but not impossible.

If there is a lot of static in the background it could be the radio is damaged. It could also be that the coax is damaged. If you find that you have to turn the squelch feature way down to hear most other boats then that is telling you something is wrong with the system.

FM radios use a squelch circuit because when the signal level is low the receiver makes a lot of noise. The noise decreases as the received signal gets stronger. This is called “quieting” and can be measured. The signal level needed for full quieting is usually specified in dBuV. A lower number is better.

transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:10   #18

Things that have worked for me.
External Speaker... Yes the Motorola Public Service Remote Speaker is great.
DSP Noise Filter
Headphones
Sudafed and clearing my ears/Eustacia tubes
I would think an audio band pass filter could also help.. These are often part of the DSP noise filter.
A good noise filter might run you $150-300 but can be made to be removable and transferable to other usages.

Note: some individuals can hear and 'fill' the received message like a magician.
other people (like my wife) cannot and WILL NOT hear any signal with noise on it.
She never liked it when I was working weak signal on the ham radio. she never liked the un-squelched radios. I usually could hear right through it all.
KG7IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:14   #19

Search Tip: Try Motorola Amplified HSN on ebay to see a large selection of the external speakers. You will see unamplified if you drop the word.

KG7IL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio