Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2017, 20:34   #1

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop
Propeller fouling on the mooring in Thailand!

My 36 foot aluminum sloop is on a mooring in Chalong Bay, Phuket, Thailand. I have to dive under the boat once a month to scrape the barnacles off so that the boat can be used. I have heard of many ideas for preventing barnacles from fouling the prop. First I have a 16 inch 3 blade fixed blade propeller.

1. Put a thick black plastic bag with a plastic tie wrap on the shaft. The downfall with this is one time my mooring dragged in a bad storm while I was stateside and the guy looking after my boat had to dive under the boat with a knife and cut the plastic tie wrap in the storm so they he could move the boat. I may go back to this now that I have 3 anchors set in 3 directions with a stainless ring in the middle joining them so that it will now take a 100 mph wind to drag now!

2. When I haul out next year, I will break the piggy bank and buy some prop speed or equivalent. I hope that stuff will last 2 years!

3. I have heard that a mixture of bees wax with Tefgel can be smeared on the blades underwater after each sail but it is a bit costly and the last thing I want to do is go diving under the boat in the polluted Chalong Bay at the end of one week cruise!

4. I have heard that if I buy ladies nylon stockings, I can slide one leg over each blade and when I put the prop in gear, all the barnacles will slip off the blades with the stockings. Has anyone tried this?

Hopefully some out there might have a better idea because I am dreading spending my Sunday under the boat with gloves and a putty knife!
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 20:57   #2

Re: Propeller fouling on the mooring in Thailand!

I like the stockings idea. But, will you be able to find them afterward to not pollute?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 22:09   #3

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Tether the stockings with some string and pull them aboard when they slip off the prop; the tethers must be arranged so they don't get fouled in the prop.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 09:39   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Some years ago there was a removable prop bag being sold. It was called the "Prop Pak" and I'm not sure if it's still in production or not. But here are a couple links I came up with during a brief Google search:

https://www.facebook.com/prop.pak.7
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, propeller, rope, Thailand