Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 05:21   #1

Buying First Boat in Croatia VAT Paid - Process - Timescales

Hi,

There are a lot of threads out there about buying non VAT boats in Croatia but I would like to know the process for a Brit purchasing a 40 ft boat in Croatia that is British Flagged, Moored in Croatia, I think its a Brit Owner through a Dutch Agency.

Looking at costs and rough time scales.

+

Any recommended Insurance company

Thanks Dave
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 22:48   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Buying First Boat in Croatia VAT Paid - Process - Timescales

We purchased our boat in Croatia but in charter and then paid VAT on leaving charter.
Try to avoid conducting sale under Croatia law. Its opaque to non Croatian speakers and adds expense due to having documents translated and notarised etc. Having said that, it went ok for us.
Have a survey with the boat lifted out. Particularly important if boat has ever been chartered. We took a UK surveyor down, not too expensive by Easyjet.
You may want to consider having a buyers broker.
We insured with Pantaenius who for us were cheapest and have a high reputation.
Good luck
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:08   #3

@Rapanui

Did your surveyor, or is it the norm for the Surveyor to ask you to supply a captain for the sea trial ?

Also how long did the process take after you decided yes this is the boat for me?

This boat has not been chartered I think its a brit owner.

Regards

Dave
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:25   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We did not do a sea trial, I never have in all the boats we have bought. If you have the boat lifted for a survey, then that would be an opportunity to have a sea trial detour to check the machinery. If it is a production boat that is all you really need. In that case, the current owner would be the obvious choice to skipper. Failing that, I guess the yard doing the lift could supply a skipper.
As to how long it takes, usually the logistics for arranging the survey, getting the report and arguing over survey items discount takes the longest. Have always made an offer subject to survey against an agreed equipment list. Once the final price is agreed the actual sale can complete quickly although ours took longer because we had to notorise documents in Croatian etc, but that still only took a few days plus secure posting of documents. Say all in from initial viewing of boat to completion about 2 months, but it could be much shorter.
You obviously need to be satisfied that your money is secure and does not vanish before it reaches the vendor, so look into the broker and things like escrow or buyers broker.
Registration could be an issue, if it as SSR and staying thus you will need the owner to cancel his and start yours. For part 1 I dont know. You may need to take advice on what you do about the Safety and Navigation vignette and sojourn tax, you dont want to be caught without it.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inet-projects View Post
Hi,

There are a lot of threads out there about buying non VAT boats in Croatia but I would like to know the process for a Brit purchasing a 40 ft boat in Croatia that is British Flagged, Moored in Croatia, I think its a Brit Owner through a Dutch Agency.

Looking at costs and rough time scales.

+

Any recommended Insurance company

Thanks Dave
Hi,
interesting... a brit flag boat in Croatia and Non VAT boat.
Does the title of the boat have to be transfered under Croatien law if the broker/company of the seller is croatien ?

Thxs
Old 09-07-2017, 13:37   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
Hi,
interesting... a brit flag boat in Croatia and Non VAT boat.
Does the title of the boat have to be transfered under Croatien law if the broker/company of the seller is croatien ?

Thxs
I bought 4 charter yachts from a Swedish charter company based in Croatia.
They were sailed to Greece and Greek flagged for charter using a well known Greek agent in Corfu. The deal was made in Sweden and the funds transfered to Sweden. The last boat we brought out was on the eve of the war, we skipped away without any customs documents which caused a big problem with Greek customs. A lot of grovelling with the customs man 4am in the morning and he gave us a temporary transit log. With regard to VAT, the boats remained in charter therefor no vat. The whole process took about a month.
Why not do the sale in the UK? I have a UK flagged yacht in Greece, no problems so far BUT BREXIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, cal, Croatia