Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 22:34   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Purchasing considerations: East Coast vs West Coast.

In developing and using my do-the-boat-classified-searching-for-me web app (which I promised would be released months ago, but I assure you it will be made available very soon) I've noticed some unsurprising geo-spatial trends among boat models.

For example, I really like the Cape Dory 28/30s, but almost all examples are on the East Coast -- or at least in the Atlantic. Which makes sense, as they were manufactured in New England. It's the same story with other boats I like, such as the Alberg 30, Contessa 26, and Tartan 27.

That's not to say there aren't examples of boats in this category on the Pacific side, but it certainly may be that "the right boat" will end up on the Atlantic side.

I'm on the west coast right now, but my plan is to take a small boat around the world. I'd like to put ~10K down on the boat, and up to 15K in refit. I've quit my job, and am not tied to any location. My preference would be a west coast purchase, because.. you know, I'll be heading that way. But I'd consider an east coast purchase and a trip through the canal for the right boat.

For someone like me, how much should the location of the boat factor into my decision? Any travelling I do to see a boat would either be tacked onto a visit to a friend, or only after I've had the boat looked at by proxy.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 17:11   #2

Boat: 10' surfboard
Re: Purchasing considerations: East Coast vs West Coast.

I am in a similar situation, and for what it is worth, I have elected to limit my purchasing to my loca areal. (California)

Being incredibly lazy, I am doomed to limiting my exposure to any boat that is less than well maintained.

Again my laziness blocks me from traveling all over the country to look at boats that may have potential.

In my infinite lazyness I flat refuse to attempt a long voyage from the sales dock, especially outside the country primarily because I do not enjoy the thought of being towed to whatever is the closest excuse for a marina, and spending months and huge quantities of money in a place I have no connections or knowledge of waiting for parts etc...

With a big lazy stripe running down my back I can't be bothered preparing a boat for the area I want to sail in if it is set up for another location, for example, need antifoul on a great lakes boat, want a dodger, but it has a bimini and a BBQ for texas, deep keel works up your way, but I want to gunkhole...

Swooning from the laziness syren song, I shudder at the work I would have to do to prepare and pay for a boat wider than 9 feet to be transported to the place I want to be.

With a genetic predisposition towards unconscionable laziness to the point where all I want to do is play the ukelele and drink rum rather than barking obscenities red faced with bloody knuckles while doing sailboat yoga maintenance I can't be bothered to buy a boat from a person who is unknown to the local marina friends I have who know all, see all groundings, sinkings and other mahem.

Riddled with bone chilling and breathtaking lazy streak going back generations, I have put in my dues buying a used car in LA and homes in colorado, and frankly everyone is a hustler, and descriptions are always rosy. I can't imagine going the distance to look at a steaming heap. There is a hammock and a rum bottle needs my attention.

As much as I love the Pearsons and Tartans, I will settle in my astounding laziness for boats in my local area that are plentiful and common as chickens on Kuai. May not be my favorite brand, but it will do. Condition trumps manufacturer and style in our budget range. I am just way too lazy to do it any other way!
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, purchasing, west coast