Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 02:48   #1

Australian registered vessel Leaving NZ?

As an Australian registered vessel, my yacht was allowed two years to remain in NZ. I'm wondering, what if... I 'clear out' of Auckland, sail east , then south, between the Chathams and Stewart Island, then south around Stewart Island...before heading westward across the Tasman, back home to Ozzie?

The question is, ' what if' I then choose to head north and land again in Auckland? Some odd sailing type circumstance that led to being prudent to return?
That time to do all that would obviously have taken several to three weeks or more.
Is this considered " leaving and re-entering"?
Do I get another two years?
SteelCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 04:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Australian registered vessel Leaving NZ?

IANAL, but I doubt that the NZ authorities would see it that way. If you haven't cleared in and out of another country in the interim, I suspect that they would not restart your clock.

"
An extension beyond 24 months may be granted for emergencies, and such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Should permission be given, Customs may require one of the following:
  • the vessel is imported permanently, and Customs charges are payable and non refundable; or
  • a cash deposit or security to cover Customs charges. This will be returned or released, together with interest, provided the vessel leaves within the agreed date."
and even if you do a quick trip to Aus and back, you may still have problems.

"Many visitors on yachts and small craft return to enjoy New Zealand. The TIE process applies each time you arrive in New Zealand provided your movements are not used as a means to extend the TIE period.
If your TIE period is about to end and you plan to return to New Zealand soon, a TIE may not be granted upon your return. Please consult with Customs for other options prior to leaving New Zealand."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia