Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 22:04   #1

Greetings from Sydney, Australia

Hi,

I have just signed up on the forum and doing the obligatory introduction of myself.

My name is Andrew and along with my partner Deb, we hail from Sydney Australia. Our boat, a 1976 Compass 28 is currently moored at Booker Bay on the Central Coast of New South Wales. La Mouette is a 1976 GRP full keel production yacht, mainly built as a "family cruiser". We have had the boat for almost 2 years and whilst not exactly a project boat, it has kept us busy.

Our ultimate goals are to prepare La Mouette for the cruising lifestyle. The work has pretty much just begun and currently the engine is out of the boat and up in Newcastle getting rebuilt and fingers crossed, it will be back in the engine bay and chugging away before Christmas. Unfortunately, a solid, reliable engine is pretty much requisite due to the currents and tides of the channel we are moored in.

I have been following the forum for a while and now that I am a member, I hope to engage in discussions, learn lots of stuff and meet some like minded people.
cheers
Mouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 22:40   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Greetings from Sydney, Australia

Welcome aboard Andrew & Deb,

I hope they finish your motor in time for the holidays, that would be really good.

By the way, where, exactly, is Booker Bay. We've cruised a lot along the NSW coast, and I don't recall seeing it on Open CPN.

Ann
Old 08-12-2016, 00:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Welcome aboard Andrew & Deb,

I hope they finish your motor in time for the holidays, that would be really good.

By the way, where, exactly, is Booker Bay. We've cruised a lot along the NSW coast, and I don't recall seeing it on Open CPN.

Ann

Its' a bay in the Brisbane Water, on the north side of the Hawkesbury River. Opposite the Barrenjoey Light.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Andrew & Deb.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:52   #5

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Hi Andrew,

Good to see you on the forum. Compass 28 is a great boat.We are down at Pretty Beach.
Ann - Booker Bay is just near the Rip Bridge.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greetings from Sydney, Australia

Welcome to CF folks...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Ann
Directly downstream from the Rip bridge, in Brisbane water.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 15:05   #8

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

G'day Andrew, good to see you join the forum. I saw a C28 about 6 months ago when I was coming off the hard stand at Machans Marina and seeing your attached photo I think the one I saw was yours.The colours are a pleasant change from blue.
I often anchor in the basin at Gosford, Bunnings being only a short dinghy trip up Narara Creek.
With there being only two of you the Compass, having such a stellar reputation & without the weather helm of the C29, can take you anywhere in the world. But probably you know that already. I know it isn't my boat but I hope yours has tiller steering.
Cheers Man.
Brian.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 19:07   #9

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, Booker Bay is in the middle of the Brisbane Water Channel and La Mouette is berthed at the Central Coast Marina (formerly Machin's Marina). The suburb of Booker Bay is pretty much half way between Woy Woy and Ettalong.
Old 08-12-2016, 19:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
G'day Andrew, good to see you join the forum. I saw a C28 about 6 months ago when I was coming off the hard stand at Machans Marina and seeing your attached photo I think the one I saw was yours.The colours are a pleasant change from blue.
I often anchor in the basin at Gosford, Bunnings being only a short dinghy trip up Narara Creek.
With there being only two of you the Compass, having such a stellar reputation & without the weather helm of the C29, can take you anywhere in the world. But probably you know that already. I know it isn't my boat but I hope yours has tiller steering.
Cheers Man.
Brian.
Hi Brian
If you had your boat up on the slip at Machin's Marina (now renamed Central Coast Marina), you would most likely would have seen my boat in one of the pens. The more I have to do with the Compasses, the more I am appreciating their qualities. The fact that they are a full keel boat and really seaworthy, more than outweighs their negative characteristics, such as not being able to go in reverse - mine does indeed have a tiller and I think I much prefer them to a wheel.
cheers
Andrew
Old 08-12-2016, 19:33   #11

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouette View Post
Hi Brian
If you had your boat up on the slip at Machin's Marina (now renamed Central Coast Marina), you would most likely would have seen my boat in one of the pens. The more I have to do with the Compasses, the more I am appreciating their qualities. The fact that they are a full keel boat and really seaworthy, more than outweighs their negative characteristics, such as not being able to go in reverse - mine does indeed have a tiller and I think I much prefer them to a wheel.
cheers
Andrew
Hey Andrew. You mean that reverse gear doesn't even select?. If you mean that reverse gear performance is mediocre then there plenty of boats with that problem. If you mean gearbox failure then come Xmas all that should be remedied. I go to Machans for fuel occasionally, maybe I saw it then. A C28 with burgundy covers and lee cloths is an attention grabbing thing.
I'm on the water 24x7 x 7 years and at 70 years whatever grey cells existed are getting slooo.
Reading between the lines, casting off is more a matter of years rather than decades. Where do you see the boat in 5 years? I'm off to Tassie in Jan, God willing.

Cheers
Brian.
Old 08-12-2016, 19:47   #12

Brian,

Actually, I had the opposite problem - reverse gear was good but the clutch was slipping in forward. The engine is currently up at Minards in Newie getting a rebuild as there were a few more things wrong with it than just the clutch.

I was referring to the characteristics of full keel yachts not going astern very well - they tell me you have to get it up to about 5 knots in reverse before you can actually steer the thing - not game to do that in the marina!

As for the casting off - I don't have decades as I am currently in my '50s!

cheers

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Hey Andrew. You mean that reverse gear doesn't even select?. If you mean that reverse gear performance is mediocre then there plenty of boats with that problem. If you mean gearbox failure then come Xmas all that should be remedied. I go to Machans for fuel occasionally, maybe I saw it then. A C28 with burgundy covers and lee cloths is an attention grabbing thing.
I'm on the water 24x7 x 7 years and at 70 years whatever grey cells existed are getting slooo.
Reading between the lines, casting off is more a matter of years rather than decades. Where do you see the boat in 5 years? I'm off to Tassie in Jan, God willing.

Cheers
Brian.
Old 08-12-2016, 22:17   #13

You know Andrew, most single screw boats reverse down to port. And usually by 'kicking', meaning a good bootful in reverse ( with some appropriate rudder ) for just a few seconds (3 or 4, every boat's different) will not only give you some aft way but will also send you one way or the other, depending on the prop being either a leftie or a rightie. I'm guessing that you've not yet enjoyed an obedient gearbox and if that's the case, when you get her running again, in no time you'll perfect the skill of doing 360's within about 35ft.
Maybe you're already adept at "kicking". If so then forgive the ramble.
Cheers.
Old 09-12-2016, 15:42   #14

Welcome aboard Mouette, and good luck with outfitting La Moulette, I'm interested to see how it goes for you here on the forum.
Diesel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:42   #15

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouette View Post
Brian,

Actually, I had the opposite problem - reverse gear was good but the clutch was slipping in forward. The engine is currently up at Minards in Newie getting a rebuild as there were a few more things wrong with it than just the clutch.

I was referring to the characteristics of full keel yachts not going astern very well - they tell me you have to get it up to about 5 knots in reverse before you can actually steer the thing - not game to do that in the marina!

As for the casting off - I don't have decades as I am currently in my '50s!

cheers

Andrew
Mere youngster at that tender age - or am I just an Old .... Some of us can barely remember our 50s - except that was the time we bought our C28.
Will we see you at Vaucluse for the regatta? 3rd and 4th February ?
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, sydney