Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 17:52   #1

Help. Catalina 27 - rolling furler help

I recently took over a 75 Catalina 27 from a friend. I am definitely a novice & took it on knowing it was a project. I've started along & have some good help, but I would love some help identifying a few things.

1) Where is the simplest place to find a manual I can print?

2) The previous owner was a liveaboard with no interest in sailing, the fore stay snapped due to wrapping around the halyard, etc. Luckily, we were now able to get it down the jib & furler safely yesterday. He already had a new forestay line.
2a) Can I trust that the forestay should e 34' or 34'10" from what I've seen online? The previous forestay is not too accurate as it snapped.
2b) Is replacing with StaLoc's wise? It could be better for future DIY replacements and I've heard good things. I have the people & friends to do this on our own.
2c) Can you help me identify this furler (pic attached). I cannot make out anything but a faint yellow C or R & this logo.

3) The diesel sat for some time but we could jump it. Would love help on knowing it's exact place to find the plate. I could only find the gearbox plate & by my diesel guy & I's best guess it's the Lister Petter AC1W. . (gearbox pic attached).

4) It seems like the current halyards are wire. Is that normal for the Catalina? I want to replace them with braided line for many reasons. Any advice on this.

Thank you for putting up with all of this.
Weberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 18:01   #2

Re: Help. Catalina 27 - rolling furler help

Here's the plate in Italian on the gearbox for the diesel. It's the only one i've found as of yet.
Old 13-07-2017, 20:59   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

No pix appeared on your posts, so try again! Can't help you with actual length, but the Sta-Loks are a good investment if you plan to keep the boat a while. If not, it will be cheaper to have swaged terminals installed by a nearby rigger. Problem is, you gotta have the length spot on if you go with swages... no second chance. But with Sta-loks, if you err on the long side, shortening is easy and essentially free.

Jim
Old 13-07-2017, 23:22   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Weberish! If you put photos on the desktop of the computer and then use the paperclip (attachment) directly above this box, it will allow you to browse and it is usually easier, for me anyway, to find the photo to post that way.
Wire halyards were common in the old days but not now. I'd change those for sure. I use low stretch dacron (poly) but for those who want no stretch there is Dyneema. You just have to know for sure that the sheaves at the mast head are good for that and that the line you choose is sized properly and not too large for the sheaves. (I made that mistake.)
Sta-locs are good. I have a Norseman fitting on the forestay and no turnbuckle (THAT one had to be measured right!) but those are not made anymore. There is another called "Hi-Mod" which are supposed to be good too.
Manual:https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...anual-c-27.cfm
The engine I am GUESSING is a Volvo MD7A and it most likely will need some work before it is ready to go, if it has just been sitting for a long time. Corrosion in the cooling lines, since it is raw water cooled, will keep it from running long even if you get it started.
Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 05:04   #5

Pics should be attached. Thanks again. I'm pretty sure the engine is in this vein of engines due to Petter Marine being on the ignition plate & from our best observations, I thought it looked similar to this[URL="
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	151891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	151892  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	151893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	151894  

Old 15-07-2017, 07:33   #6

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Welcome to Catalina sailing. My Dad had a 27 of similar vintage. They are a beautiful vessel with classic lines and warm and inviting interiors. You may want to save a few sites in your favorites.

Catalina Direct carries has a long list of parts and resources. Their technical expertise is invaluable and they are very helpful when called.

Catalina Direct:

There is a yahoo group for Catalina 27s

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IC27A/info

Trailer sailors are very resourceful

https://forum.trailersailor.com/forum.php?id=3

And the Association forum

International Catalina 27/270 Association

And this

Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Enjoy
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags