Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 02:28   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Catalina Morgan 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
T4Blood, I read through Gyrodude's post, and I'm kinda underwhelmed by some of the comments relative to its being a good bluewater (or any other) boat; I must admit to being a bit surprised by the following:

Only being able to point at 60 degrees when close hauled.. Does not say whether this is true or apparent, but either way IMO this is really poor performance, and would not be acceptable to me.

Secondly, burning 1.5 gph at 6 knots is pretty poor economy, especially when windward sailing performance is so poor. Kinda sounds like a poor match between engine and prop... maybe.

His comments about the galley are a bit inconclusive, but one interpretation is that they worry about safety in cooking at sea, and avoid doing so. Again, not a good outlook for a passage making vessel. Perhaps the comments reflect inexperience rather than a design fault... hard for me to tell.

Just a few issues, but ones that matter to me, and perhaps to you!

Jim
I agree Jim, and was also surprised. My 470 will point alot higher than that, also the 75hp yanmar running at between 2000-2200rpm is sucking less than 2.5l/hr this is with a max prop.
I do not know how the 440 is constructed, but I'm very confident that the 470 is very solid regarding Bluewater, ive crawled around all over it, drilled holes through the hull and deck in several places and are more than convinced that bluewater isnt an issue.....btw I have to tell myself that as I leave tommorow..lol.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 23:08   #17

Same questions to a different owner

•General build quality
Catalina is a production boat. Compared to other production boats, I would say it is very good, but its not an Island Packet, if you get the drift.

•Sea keeping ability
Excellent

•Pointing and sailing ability i.e. % of apparent wind speed.
Depends in rig. I had the in mast furler. Sailed very well, but because of lack of battens in the rig, pointing was diminished, under 40 degrees. Would recommend the in boom rig, which most 440s have.
Motor speed (most economical)
I use to run it about 2400 rpm's and she used about 3/4 gal/hour
•How does she hove to.
Well
•How does she handle big waves
well
• i.e. surfing, does she tend to broach ?
not at all
•General motion under way.
I'm sailing 30+ years. Best riding boat I have sailed.
•Heavy weather capability
Excellent
•Airflow / ventilation at anchor.
Very good
•Any osmosis issues.
Had barrier coated.....no issues.
•Any general shortcomings from your perspective or inherent to the design
No access to the fuel or holding tank, without taking the whole salon floor up

•Factory build quality?
Good....I's a production boat. Poor bedding of all chain plates. Had to have re-bedded 1st sailing season, which Catalina paid for.
•Galley size with respect to cooking especially under way.
Excellent
•Fridge and freezer sizing. (adequate for an ocean crossing).
Good
•The actual size of the “store room” for real cruising needs .
Excellent. This boat has tons of storage space
•The fried / freezer insulation – is this adequate as per the original fit.
Initial fridge was not good. Had to have replaced 2 times, which Catalina paid for. Eventually getting a system where the condenser and motor were separate from the box. Box did not have good ventilation.
Galley storage (Enough for a atlantics crossing)
Good
• Were you happy with the tankage (Fuel and water)
Yes. Electric head uses a lot of water to get the waste to the holding tank, because of the travel distance. If I had this boat again, I would install a Vacuflush head, which would solve the distance problem.
• The accessibility of service items / engine
Impeller very difficult to reach. Suggest installing a "Speed Seal", which will greatly simplify the changing process. The Speed Seal comes for UK, as I recall, Just Google "Speed Seal"
•Generator
Depends on location of install. If amidship, access is very good, except for a main bearing which calls for a 1000 hour service. Genset will have to be removed to access the Main bearing. Some later 440's had the genset installed in the stern, which might give better access.,
bilge pumps etc.
Excellent
•Cockpit security at sea.
Excellent
•General liveability (especially from your wife’s perspective)
Excellent
•Knowing what you know now would again do the same purchase.
Yes
•Is the ventilation enough for the back cabin.
Never slept there, but had several guests that did and never complained.
•Which cabin do you use when under way ?
Forward.

Sail handling in general
•Ease of reefing her.
Depends on the rig. In Boom, reef on any point of sail, Excellent, in Mast, into the wind only. This one of the advantages of the in boom rig.
•Could she be single handed.
Did, many times.

She was a great boat. For sure the best riding boat I have sailed. She gives a great ride with NO pounding, in weather....EVER!
GYRODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 14:19   #18

Wondering if anybody knows the STIX and AVS figures for the CM-440. Kinda hard to find...
gryphon466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 17:00   #19

Boat: Marshall 22

I am comparing Island Packet 420 to Catalina Morgan 440. It appears that engine access may be a problem on the Catalina. For those of you who own the Catalina Morgan 440, can you tell me about the engine access?
Cruisingcouple2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 18:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingcouple2 View Post
I am comparing Island Packet 420 to Catalina Morgan 440. It appears that engine access may be a problem on the Catalina. For those of you who own the Catalina Morgan 440, can you tell me about the engine access?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/440875229280709

There is a Catalina 440 FB page that has about 340 members. That might be another place to get some info. Just remember everyone is proud of their own boat to an extent.

I cant find it now but previously I saw an owner talk about getting the 2006 version or newer. Something about the location of the tankage or genset or something in 05 model caused an imbalance in some of the 440s

Im guessing all the IP 420s used the newer 316 or 316L stainless in the chain plates but do your research.

If you mention Catalina or IP on this board you will usually get some strong opinions either way lol.
sddmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, morgan