Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2019, 05:57   #1

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42
East Coast Catamaran haul out - Where?!

I’m looking for suggestions for a yard where we can haul out our Lagoon 42 for several months. Insurance policy states north of Cape Hatteras.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 06:13   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: East Coast Catamaran haul out - Where?!

You can use the search feature of this site to find that information. Use the search parameters "cotemar catamaran haul out"
Old 24-05-2019, 20:09   #3

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42

I did search before I posted, but without knowing an unknown users name, the search results were useless.

Unfortunately, after contacting them all, half of the yards shown are closed. Any up to date recommendations?
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 20:21   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Maybe send a private message to cotemar. He seems pretty connected with multihull yards and brokerages so he may have newer info.

You can haul out in the hurricane zone, it just costs to do so. For Palarran it's $4300 per year. I couldn't sail North out of the zone, haul, and store, for less, let alone the time commitment.
Old 25-05-2019, 09:22   #5

Boat: Boatless

Different insurer for starters :-)

BoatUS had no limitations on our last policy. On our 50’ cat same story with Jackline but that was awhile ago.

Short of that a few calls will locate the yard you need. Just keep asking the same question.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 09:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

There is a yard on the Sassafras River, off the Northern Chesapeake, that has been known for hauling cats, for years. I don't know if they do storage, but imagine so. Used to be the only game in town.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 10:10   #7

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Here are some options in the southern Chesapeake:

Cape Charles Yachting Center - can haul up to 25' beam (we're 24'10"). New ownership but same staff. DIY ok, in fact perhaps best to do it yourself. Talk to Rob and tell him we sent you as there have been some policies to discourage one of the tenants but not enforced otherwise. And watch out for the DIY daily charge.

Cobb's in Norfolk - great folks, good work, DIY ok, check your beam, but should be OK (too narrow for us). We spent six months there are loved it.

Deltaville Boatyard - Travelift is the same as Cape Charles, but the well is narrower so say 24' beam max. There are others around Deltaville. Active Captain will get you some contact info.

Severn Yacht Center - can haul cats with narrower beam than ours. Check to be sure about your boat. Good folks, reasonable price while we were there.

Cheers,
Old 25-05-2019, 12:24   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Maybe this will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat_haul_out.pdf (52.5 KB, 787 views)
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 13:50   #9

Try Jayne's Maritime on Cockerell Creek on the Chesapeake bay.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 15:53   #10

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

The one up the Sassafras is in Georgetown, MD. Hauled and stored there summer of 16. Have a 26' beam so guessing a 42 would be fine (might want to add beam to your original post).

Did some work myself and no hassles. Only down side was the boat was full of some kind of Japanese stink bugs when I came back. They got into everything and it took a few months to get rid of them. They actually didn't stink and were not that hard to catch - just took a while to find all the nooks and crannies that they found.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:24   #11

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

The yard on the Sassafras river is Georgetown Yacht Basin, very safe in every sense of the word, very capable crew to attend to any repairs needed and friendly to DIY. Prices are reasonable compared to other yards. Hauled out for the fourth time this last winter, ready to cruise once again.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 05:31   #12

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Bumping the thread with a couple updates.

Two yards in Annapolis have recently added or improved their catamaran haul-out:

Multitech Marine at Pier Seven Marina (latter apparently owned by catco) just added an under-bridgedeck hydraulic lift machine that can take 40-63 ft cats, with up to 34 ft beam. They just posted a demo video here: https://youtu.be/nZaw-hPbDHE also https://www.multitechmarine.net/news...ulic-lift.aspx

Also, Port Annapolis (very nice marina where we kept our boat for a number of years) has added a 75-ton Travelift that can handle cats up to 26 ft beam. See https://www.portannapolis.com/portfo...aunch-storage/
IAmGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 06:15   #13

Georgetown yacht basin, just changed hands. The recently promoted repair manager is a great guy and really knows catamarans rigs and GRP repair systems. The lift will take a 30ft beam so all sorts of cats have been pulled there some real high performance ones too. We had a Lagoon 450 hauled there last 5 summers, it was a DIY yard with courtesy car (for US drivers License), swimming pool, bar and small hotel attached. Main disadvantage is 30min drive to big super markets and hardware. The chandlery is not too pricey and they will order parts in for you faster than you can do on line. The mechanics are competent but not necessarily the cheapest in the bay. The river there is often fresh and I liked to stay on a mooring ball there for a couple of nights prior to get a good flush on engines generator and other salt water lines. If you are going to antifoul there and hang around it would best to use a paint good for salt and fresh. The Sassafrass river is a popular summer power boat hangout with many boats pulled up on sandy sections of the shore with kids swimming etc, there are no wake zones near the mooring field. I know this sounds like an advertisement but we truly had great experiences there for last few years.

https://www.facebook.com/georgetownyachtbasin/
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:30   #14

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

I've been updating Cotemar's information continuously. I've just uploaded it to the Miscellaneous Document section of the Library. In response to those who believe it is unnecessary, the lift capabilties (width and length) vary considerably as to what boat beam and LOA can be lifted. Some facilities will not suffice for bigger boats (I can personally attest!).
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 15:54   #15

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

I'm not seeing any action from the moderators on the pending addition of my list to the Library so I'm just attaching it here for now. I update it periodically.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat Haul Out Atlantic (JM 201126).pdf (247.7 KB, 416 views)
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, east coast, haul out