Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 13:26   #1

Crew arriving via air (Bahamas)

Hi everyone,

I am planning to fly to the Bahamas on a one way ticket, then join my partner on his sailboat and go cruising to the Caribbean from there.

Therefore I will be entering the country via air and leaving by sea.

Now, I have read the immigration information regarding this on their website but was wondering if someone has a personal experience with the crew joining in this way.

Thanks a lot for any info or tips regarding this!

Monika
simcimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Crew arriving via air (Bahamas)

Have done it but it was a long time ago. I think I recall you have to keep the little card they stamp and give you coming it to hand in on the way out.

Happens a lot there so shouldn't be a problem.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:30   #3

... there is a small risk that the AIRLINE will not take you to the Bahamas on a oneway ticket (because they will have to pay your outbound flight if immigration denies you). If you want to be sure to get in book another, refundable return and cancel it once you are in the Bahamas.

Otherwise get at least a 'letter of intend' from the boat / captain that you will leave the Bahamas by sea on date xx.yy. and have a copy of the cruising permit of the boat with you.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:30   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

I did exactly that last spring and it was not a problem. The organizer of the trip had given me a copy of the boat’s Bahamas cruising permit and a letter stating that I was crew leaving the country on the boat.

Only (very minor) hassle was that the immigration officer appeared to be a trainee who had never seen this before, but after she went and discussed it with a supervisor it was all good.
Old 03-02-2018, 13:32   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

And in response to Skipmac’s comment, they gave me the tourism card to fill out and give back to the “cruise ship” crew when leaving - the delivery captain wasn’t interested.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Monika.

What Carsten said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44   #7

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I did exactly that last spring and it was not a problem. The organizer of the trip had given me a copy of the boat’s Bahamas cruising permit and a letter stating that I was crew leaving the country on the boat.

Only (very minor) hassle was that the immigration officer appeared to be a trainee who had never seen this before, but after she went and discussed it with a supervisor it was all good.
Same here, sent a copy of cruising permit and letter via attachment to email. The crew printed it out, showed the desk and they were allowed to board.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:50   #8

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Did it last May - no problem. One way ticket to Treasure Cay. Nobody cared about the "stub" paper, but I suppose you could mail it to Bahamas customs to be absolutely legal. I didn't.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:20   #9

You guys are awesome ... thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

I'm planning to have a copy of the cruising permit with my name on it + the letter from the captain. With a plan B) (for whatever reason - I mean BOATS haha) I'd buy a refundable ticket before I leave to be sure to get in.

I might be overly stressed for no reason but I'm just trying to avoid mistakes and enjoy the sunset from the cockpit at the end of the day instead of being send back to the frozen lands of Europe
simcimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Generally not a problem. Supposedly airlines don't like to except passengers on a one-way ticket to a foreign country because the airline fully responsible for all costs if the receiving country declines to admit the passenger (say a criminal record pops up, etc.) and he/she has to be held (locked up) by immigration until they can be returned on the next available flight, which in some places might be a week or more.

Just in case I carry a "crew letter" on the boat's letterhead, which I made up on a Word
.doc, that states I (and maybe other crew) are transitioning out by boat.

In the Bahamas (and most countries) they give you a little slip of paper that your are supposed to turn in when you leave. The last time I left Bimini on a boat the skipper wanted to leave at 00dark30 before immigration had opened. When I got home I mailed the little slip to the Bahamas government agency with the details of our departure and saved a copy. This is just in case I go back to the Bahamas and their immigration's computers show that I never left. Or, I've been there long enough to apply for citizenship.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:53   #11

Boat: CS36T

I echo what Carsten said. I ran afoul of this rule and was denied boarding my flight at the gate in Fort Lauderdale. Being a bit panicked at the time, I made the mistake of buying a non refundable ticket (actually two tickets - one for me and one for my wife).

I later tried to get at least a partial refund from the airline, but they adamantly refused. Lesson learned. $500 lost.

I always prepare a letter signed by the captain for my crew in such circumstances, but I couldn't figure out how to write one for myself.
fguptill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew arriving via air (Bahamas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fguptill View Post
I echo what Carsten said. I ran afoul of this rule and was denied boarding my flight at the gate in Fort Lauderdale. Being a bit panicked at the time, I made the mistake of buying a non refundable ticket (actually two tickets - one for me and one for my wife).

I later tried to get at least a partial refund from the airline, but they adamantly refused. Lesson learned. $500 lost.

I always prepare a letter signed by the captain for my crew in such circumstances, but I couldn't figure out how to write one for myself.
Ask the marina to send you an email saying you have to move your boat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, Bahamas, crew, immigration, one way