Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2017, 13:12   #1

Navionics - $9.99 or $399

I can download the iPhone Navionics Caribbean app for $9.99 or, from the Navionics site, I can download the Caribbean module for $399. What's the difference, beside $389.01?

Thanks.
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 13:24   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Navionics - $9.99 or $399

When you say module do you mean chip for plotter?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 14:03   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Resolving detail will be a limitation.

For example following a depth contour using your depth reading is going to be an exercise in frustration on an iphone. On a 12" Zeus2 screen its a breeze.

What is your use case?

If you're only checking where you are, distance to or looking for landmarks then the iphone might be good enough.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 14:15   #4

Sorry for not being clearer... I'll be chartering a boat with Navionics at the helm. I want to explore and practice, on an iPad, or maybe my phone. What's Navionics offering at $399 that's not included in the $9.99 app?

I appreciate the help.
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 14:16   #5

Im just going through this process. On my last boat I had a c80 raymarine chartplotter, plus navionics on tablets and phone and open cpn. My new boat has a older raytheon system installed, great condition BUT to install the navionics charts that I will require over the next 5 years will be in the order $2,500. Im decided to go the tablet option and download the exact same navionics charts for much less.
I would probably prefer to have all the charts on the plotter but I just cant justify it, my experience with navionics is that the charts are identical, a fraction of the price and for the savings I make I can have redundancy by having several tablets and a phone with alot of money left over. As time went on I found my self using the tablet/phone route more and more.
Btw it was my plotter that screwed up on my last boat. In a perfect world I'd have them all.
Just my opinion.

Old 17-01-2017, 14:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmCA View Post
Sorry for not being clearer... I'll be chartering a boat with Navionics at the helm. I want to explore and practice, on an iPad, or maybe my phone. What's Navionics offering at $399 that's not included in the $9.99 app?

I appreciate the help.
Nothing.

Old 17-01-2017, 14:20   #7

Sorry mate, ignore my responses, I think I've misinterpreted your question.

Old 17-01-2017, 15:19   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We had an E-120 Chart Plotter on our sailboat when we were cruising. I also have an A-65 Chartplotter on the powerboat that replaced her.

In 2012, we bought our first IPAD and installed Navionics as a back up to the E-120 when we were cruising. At the time, they didn't talk to each other, but it was a great back up and did everything we needed.

We bought the Power Boat 3 months ago and the A65 has a Blue Tooth option, which allows you to control the chart plotter remotely from the IPAD. That is a separate Raymarine software, but makes it nice to use the larger screen.

I find that the IPAD and the Chartplotter Software to very different animals and think the IPAD version is still a little clunky, but a great backup if the Chartplotter fails. I also use the IPAD Navioncs for pre-planning boat trips.

The IPAD version is updated anytime you connect to the internet and you can make changes to the Navigation Aids or any other bookmark (Fishing & Dive Sites) and share them with the rest of us. Because of that the information on Marinas, etc if very accurate.

Also the IPAD verision only downloads charts of areas you want. So for instance you buy rights to all the US Charts, but you only download charts you are using to save HD Space.

The basic Navioncs Software is $9.99 and then you choose and purchase the areas you need charts for. For instance, US Charts cost around $50 a year and is renewed annually.

The $399 you are talking about is a chip sold for the Raymarine Chart Plotters, which has many more bells and whistles that will only run on a Chartplotter.

I used the Android Version of Navioinc on my Cell Phone for a little while, but got frustrated. It is much better if the display screen is larger...

Good luck.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 04:36   #9

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

i'm a great fan of Navionics but I also have trouble getting my head around all the different plans and chart functions.
But I can say with some confidence to the OP that the two "options" you refer to are for different devices.
The cheaper is for the app and chart for your phone or tablet only. The second more expensive is for an SD card containing your chart for you chartplotter. Otherwise the displays are essentially the same.

The chart gets automatic updates for a year for that price. You get to keep your last chart and update but have to pay again if you want to continue updates for your phone.

I cant explain why there should such a big price difference. Nor can I explain why here in Australia we often have to pay 5 times for software that others in the US have to pay. Grrrr!!!!
Old 18-01-2017, 08:24   #10

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

If you get Navionics for iPad, make sure it is the version for iPad and NOT Navionics for iPhone. The iPhone one (which I accidentlly downloaded) will run on your iPad, but part of it is solely in portrait mode and not landscape mode.

I found the Appstore quite confusing on this matter - hence my error - so take your time!

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 10:39   #11

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Navionics is pretty restrictive in the usage of downloaded maps: they cannot be share among devices. So if you have the iPad version, you need to buy the maps for the iPad. If you also have an iPhone or any Android tablet/phone as a backup, you also need to purchase again the maps for the area you are thinking sailing. And if you have a plotter, you will need to purchase that map on a chip again for the plotter. This end to a lot of $. No wonder why Navionics is making so well. And, this is not the end of it: when you will need an updated map, you wil have to pay again for 50% of the full price past the first year.

There are alternative options that will cost you far less. On my iPad - iPhone, I am using iSailor. You can share maps, and updates for the last 3 years are life time free, at least up to now. iSailor uses Transas vector chart. Transas electronic maps equip a lot of commercial vessels so this guaranty long life time to me.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 12:27   #12

Boat: Swanson 38'
Smile Re: Navionics - $9.99 or $399

Fantastic. This is why I like belonging to this group – for the wealth of continuing information I receive. I have just been trying to decide how and what models of Navionics I go for on my Mac system. I now have all the information I'll need to make a correct decision...thanks so much guys!!!
Bonito38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:25   #13

Boat: Albin 25

Sticking with iNavX on iPad, even though my on-screen vessel does hop around a little! But my brain has adjusted to it and now it just seems to work seamlessly up and down the St. Lawrence River. I have 3 or 4 backup free apps on my Android phone but they are all weird and I can't get them to act in a useful manner. There is one that always starts off the coast of Africa and doesn't seem to want to come over to Canada!
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:34   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

There are several free navigation programs out there. I prefer SeaClear but many prefer CPN. Raymarine also has one. I NOAA charts it, it's easy to set up. Otherwise you need to source charts for Canada. I would not spend 10 cents for Navionics on a small screen. You cannot read the extra information. Invest in a $60 laptop and a $15 dongle and you have an excellent navigation system on a big screen.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:26   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmCA View Post

I appreciate the help.
Try the Navionics web app. https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...%60yuyBobii%5B
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics