Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 15:17   #1

Sail 22' up Columbia in Portland, OR

I need someone to help me move recently purchased 22' Santana short distance up river on the Columbia in Portland, OR. I have no experience sailing or boating and am not feeling confident with current motor situation, I'm just not knowledgeable AT ALL. Looking to do this around end of January.
tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 17:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Sail 22' up Columbia in Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanni View Post
I need someone to help me move recently purchased 22' Santana short distance up river on the Columbia in Portland, OR. I have no experience sailing or boating and am not feeling confident with current motor situation, I'm just not knowledgeable AT ALL. Looking to do this around end of January.
I would be willing to lend a hand. From where to where?
i3.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 17:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3.friend View Post
I would be willing to lend a hand. From where to where?
I still need to settle in a slip, but am looking at the marinas around ne 33rd & marine dr. Boat is presently docked at a houseboat around N. 40th & marine dr. I'm concerned about the present motor. I don't think it's appropriate for this boat, but I have no real knowedge. I just want to get a slip and get the boat moved and then will assess different motor, etc. It has a Minn kota vantage 24 volt 80# thrust electric trolling motor. I'm also pretty sure I need to look into a couple batteries, as the ones on boat I don't believe are coming with. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and under informed, but I'm doing this so I can learn.
Old 07-01-2017, 17:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I still need to settle in a slip, but am looking at the marinas around ne 33rd & marine dr. Boat is presently docked at a houseboat around N. 40th & marine dr. I'm concerned about the present motor. I don't think it's appropriate for this boat, but I have no real knowedge. I just want to get a slip and get the boat moved and then will assess different motor, etc. It has a Minn kota vantage 24 volt 80# thrust electric trolling motor. I'm also pretty sure I need to look into a couple batteries, as the ones on boat I don't believe are coming with. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and under informed, but I'm doing this so I can learn.
Well i would have no problem helping out. I also have some slip recommendations I am moored at pirates cove marina. Feel free to pm me with questions. Sailing is somewhat new to me but boats, mechanic work and everything in between i have been doing since i was a child.
Old 07-01-2017, 18:03   #5

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Sounds like fun. I would help.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 18:05   #6

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Captains Moorage is a great place really nice people. I kept my Cascade 42 there for years.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:04   #7

Let me know, I can bring our dink to use as a bumper boat or tow it has a nice new 20 hp engine just in case. Brian 541 760 5957 I know that area pretty well also.
rescueguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:19   #8

Boat: Former Privilege 48
pirate Re: Sail 22' up Columbia in Portland, OR

Quote:
You might check into the Sailing in Portland Meetup group for some qualified crew for your sail and future sails. Any one else looking for crew, check it out.

https://www.meetup.com/Sailing-in-Portland/
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:08   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

This is what I love about Sailing on the Columbia. Every one is so helpful.
I'll help too if you want. I'm at McCuddys Marina on Hayden Island.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 14:53   #10

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I'll pass on the trip but happy to do the shore shuttle for you.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I'll pass on the trip but happy to do the shore shuttle for you.

Greg
Thanks for your reply and offer. I'm reviewing my optiins, seems I'm in very deep over my head and need some time to figure it all out and find the optimal solution. I'll be in touch if i need some help at dock. Thanks again, my response has been heartwarming
Old 09-01-2017, 09:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks for your reply and offer. I'm reviewing my optiins, seems I'm in very deep over my head and need some time to figure it all out and find the optimal solution. I'll be in touch if i need some help at dock. Thanks again, my response has been heartwarming
If u want get out and sail with me anytime feel free to message me. Im going to do a circumnavigation of sauvies island soon for fun
Old 09-01-2017, 10:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
This is what I love about Sailing on the Columbia. Every one is so helpful.
I'll help too if you want. I'm at McCuddys Marina on Hayden Island.
Yes, I've been so impressed by the level of response and offers to help. It's a large reason I've chosen to take up sailing as my new 'hobby' although I have a feeling it will become much more than a hobby. In our modern society unless you're affiliated with some church group there aren't many places left where there's any sense if community left. The sailing world seems to be an exception and is part of the draw for me. The response I have received tells me I was not wrong and I'm very much looking forward to getting started and meeting some of you out there. Only thing that sucks right now is being delayed by our lovely weather. Kinda had a feeling when I started looking at boats in August that we were about due for one of these extreme winters, but that too shall pass. Once weather clears and I'm able to formulate a plan I'll be in touch. Thanks again for responding
Old 09-01-2017, 10:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
You might check into the Sailing in Portland Meetup group for some qualified crew for your sail and future sails. Any one else looking for crew, check it out.

https://www.meetup.com/Sailing-in-Portland/
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into them once this weather clears and I can proceed with a plan
Old 09-01-2017, 10:09   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

I move boats year round. We are inland so only severe weather would postpone this. I also have a 18 avon with a 90 HP Yamaha outboard that can tow this at speed with no problem. PM me if you wish to discuss.

Run a non-profit here in PDX called go-sail.org that can introduce you to lots of other folks that are learning like you are.
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, portland, sail