Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 10:00   #16

Boat: Ceol na Mara ~ Catalina 27
Sheets to the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Skip the survey it is a waste of money. You are only talking about a less than two thousand dollar investment. Go out and sail and fish, have a blast and spend the survey money on beer.
By the way, Morgan Paul, thanks for the sage advice! The rest of our band will be glad to hear it, too!! :cubalibre
Old 07-02-2008, 02:58   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inishowen View Post
Heck & high water ...
FWIW: "Heck" is where those who don't believe in "Gosh" go.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 13:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: "Heck" is where those who don't believe in "Gosh" go.
Darn right!
Old 14-02-2008, 15:38   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It's a starter boat and you guys sound like you have the cluebird sitting on your shoulder and are not a deer in the headlights.

You have identified the source of previously reported troubles and understand what they imply. The only deal killers on a $2,000 foot boat are delaminations, severe osmosis, a cracked mast, a rotted structure, completely shot standing rigging or running rigging or shreded sails.

This stuff is not that difficult to discover. Take a good hard look at it and pull the trigger.

You'll have fun!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 18:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It's a starter boat and you guys sound like you have the cluebird sitting on your shoulder and are not a deer in the headlights.

You have identified the source of previously reported troubles and understand what they imply. The only deal killers on a $2,000 foot boat are delaminations, severe osmosis, a cracked mast, a rotted structure, completely shot standing rigging or running rigging or shreded sails.

This stuff is not that difficult to discover. Take a good hard look at it and pull the trigger.

You'll have fun!

Thanks, Dan! The "cluebird"s name is Tuki. She's a Dusky Conure (parrot), who will go sailing with us when the weather is warm enough.
Old 25-06-2008, 11:34   #21

Boat: 1974 Catalina C-27 TR
the warpage in the counter area may be due to the placement of the jack stands.I would let it sit in the water for a couple of weeks to allow th hull to return to its original shape before redoing the cabinetry.
cspacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:29   #22

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
I hope you have as much fun with yours as my wife and I have with ours. We own "Sugar & Spice" Catalina 27 hull number 53! Vintage 1971 (Same as me!) Its a stable easy to sail boat, it our weekend getaway and play room for the kids. Almost everything you need can be found at Catalina Direct, and parts are affordable. (relativley speaking of course)

Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0563.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	4053  
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 18:43   #23

Boat: 1974 Catalina C-27 TR
you may want to consider rebuilding the atomic 4 ,the fuel consumption is minimal and its a dependable engine.The distributor is a general motors 4 cylinder distributor and points and condensor are available for about $12.00 at any auto parts store ($43.00 from marine stores),the water pump is simple to change.I have had issues with the bulk connector for the engine harness but it was smple to wire around the plug.I also had to install an electric fuel pump as the mechanical pump is no longer available but this also allows me to turn off the pump with the engine runing and run the carb dry preventing gum and varnish buildup in the carb bowl.The ignition and fuel systemscan be repaired easily on the boat.An electronic ignition kit is also available which is more reliable than points but when points fail they are easy to repair and diagnose,electronic ignition....not so much.Always try to carry spare parts,belts,oil,hoses and clamps.
I have a 1974 C-27 Tall Rig and I love the boat!!! It sails well on all points of sail and is easy to single hand.Mine has wheel steering which I like better than a tiller. changed the interior lighting to LED lighting.
My boat was recently rear ended by another boat while moored in the slip and the stern pulpit is damaged.Does anyone on the forum know where I can buy a new one? Catalina direct no longer stocks them.
cspacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 15:38   #24

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
I spoke to the folks at Catalina Yachts here in California and they said if I provided the measurements they could get me a bow pulpit. ($360) I would think they could do the same for your stern pulpit. Give them a call.
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 06:52   #25

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Hi,

Another vote for skipping the survey, and 'just buy it', with a small caveat...

If you're committed to repowering with a new inboard, you will likely be wise to get a professional survey. The cost of repowering (professionally) will certainly exceed the cost of buying a different C27 of that vintage that doesn't need to be repowered.

My father lost use of his inboard on a similar sized boat to the C27, and repowered with an outboard. The outboard as worked out great for him. Much cheaper maint in cost and time, plus in winter the whole engine is removed and put in a warm garage for storage.

I vote to just buy the C27, use it as is for a few years (don't venture anywhere dangerous or into bad weather), and don't worry a bit about resale value. Every year, regular maint costs alone will probably come close to resale value anyway. You'll probably end up selling for a 'token' price (a grand or two) no matter what you do to it.

Best,
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 21:36   #26

Re: Heck and high water....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inishowen View Post
Brad, thanks again for your advice and suggestions. Actually, this we consider this our "learning" boat, which we will sail for a few years, after which time we want to upgrade to a small schooner. We love schooners, and consider one of these to be our ideal boat. (We're hoping to find one of Ted Brewer's pocket schooners.) When that time comes, we will sell the Cat 27 for whatever we can get for her, or perhaps donate her to the Sea Scouts.

The galley damage on the Catalina 27 was due to some leakage at the window, which has since been caulked. Sorry, I wasn't real clear concerning the rainwater damage. I can understand why you were concerned about that. but the water didn't get that high from the other leak.

As far as the outboard engine goes, personally, I like the idea of keeping it. Seems a lot more convenient to take it off and throw it in the van to haul away for any needed repairs. I'd rather have the challenge of learning to sail the boat properly in a chop, as you suggested. I figure it doesn't pay to be a motor-weenie, in any case, since you never know when you might be suddenly "motorless" with a mechanical break-down, whether with an inboard or outboard.

Hopefully between our lifelong sailing friend who is going along with us for a look at the boat this weekend, and discussions with the previous owner, we'll have a better idea of what it will take to fortify our little sloop for the Spring. Personally, I'm ready to burn my socks NOW!!!
Just to ease your mind the 9.9 outboard (even if it an old 2 cycle) is probably worth $500 to $1000 with even a single 5 gal fuel tank. Most outboards are 4 cycle by law if fairly new. If it is a long shaft which most guys with a sailboat would buy then you have less chance of the prop coming out of the water. If the deck is solid and no dry rot go for it.
apper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 22:16   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Catalina 27 (1974)

Hi Apper - Welcome aboard.

FYI the message you replied to is like 6 years old.

Seems to be a lot of old thread revivals on the forum lately from newer members.

Just a heads up to check the last post date to make sure you want to reply!

Cheers!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 09:19   #28

Boat: Tanzer 27

I think you should buy my boat... An 82 Tanzer 27... Solid as they come, centerboard boat.. Fresh (this year) LED lighting, cushions, curtains, bottom paint, refinished interior, stove and propane line. Among some other things... I bought her to learn on before i purchased a bigger boat... Sails are practically brand new as well... I have a 2011 15 hp Yamaha on the back... Previous owner removed the inboard and the prop along with the shaft... Expertly done...

I love the boat and would like to see her go to a good home... If you're interested PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-07-2014, 11:37   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Keep the shaft and propeller, many of those were converted to two cylinder Unviersals which fit nicely in the space the old atomic 4 took up. You can find them complete with transmissions on the net fairly cheaply and lots of parts are available since there based on a Kubota tractor engine.
Outboards are nice but can tend to come out of the water if going into a steeo edged chop, the inboard is a much nicer option if you can do it. Use the outboard for now, look around the internet for a used universal, many 30's came with them and many owners swapped to the 3 cylinder since the 2 was marginal for the 30, the 2 is perfect for the 27.
You can pick the motor up by hand, it's that compact. SMaller and lighter the the atomic 4.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:38   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

The 27 is just a fun boat to sail.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina