Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 10:42   #31

Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
I've heard some horror story's about jeanneau, basically once you hand over your money then your own your own.
Their yachts have never appealed to me, I've looked at them but i can't get excited. Maybe quite a sweeping statement but why buy something you don't like.

The sense range Ive tried to like but again I can't. We went on the brand new sense 57 the other day and I wasn't overly impressed tbh. Poor wood workmanship, the deck plates were creaking really bad and I also thought there seemed to be a lot of wasted space back aft. I understand they tired to move all the machinery away from the cabins but it just seemed like it didn't work. My own personal take on it. Ohh and it was nearly 600000 pounds, yikes. A mono trying to be a cat! We

I think builders are going down the more light, open plan look, like a stylish modern penthouse flat. Minimalist.
The 588 will replace the 575 so I've been told, interestingly it's the same hull as the moody 54ds.

There is also a new Hanse out soon, 538 with a dinghy garage apparently!
I find your comments quite interesting. Your a new boat shopper and you have certain ideas as well as impressions that certain brands have made on you. I'd be very interested to hear more about what you have looked at and what your impressions were as you moved along in your due diligence period. You are not crazy about Jeanneau's and you don't like the Benni Sense series. What else have you looked at in your price range and what are your comments on them??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 12:40   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I don't see it s problem to 'hate' Jeneau & Sense but love Oceanis, and say, Lagoon.

All 4 are made by CNB - Beneteau.

Each design group can try for inovation and be backed by the big group company because if one makes a mistake the other will be on a winner.

Great example is Jeaneau's 54 which was steeeeeets better than the Beneteau 523 and the newly old 55, but now the new Beneteau 55 is streets ahead of the Jeaneau 54.

CNB still cleans up if the person decides they want a catamaram as they own Lagoon...

This next year I think the Beneteau 55 will take customers from the 42/44 ft catamaran because of those large windows below.

A 55 is a substantial boat. It's big, safe, fast, goes upwind... and now you see out like a catamaran at a similar price.

Remember also that a 42 cat in most marinas in Europe costs the same as a 55 foot mono because the slips are not by length but length x beam.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:48   #33

I agree Mark, although I think hate is a strong word, more like, I'm not willing to put my hard earned down on certain boats because who'd buy a boat they don't like.

Robert I'm not sure what angle your trying to come in on here. I'm not going to write about every boat I've looked at as quite frankly I'd have to write a lot which is only relevant to my situation and not anyone else's. My reasoning for chosen certain brands would differ to the next person.

We have chosen and researched each boat as you would any other large item one would purchase, be it house, car or holiday home. Fit for purpose, reassurance from the brand, reliability, asthetics, price, residual valve after 3 and 5 years, sailing ability, options list and independant reviews.

What is left now are the test sails and weeks charter on each vessel to determined overall suiter.
Although, like I said previously my gf has already chosen without hesitation her top of the pick and would be aboard tomorrow if she had the choice. Me, I'm still 30 percent undecided.

Have you sailed a oceanis 55 with a shallow draft?
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 21:17   #34

Quote:
I agree Mark, although I think hate is a strong word, more like, I'm not willing to put my hard earned down on certain boats because who'd buy a boat they don't like.

Robert I'm not sure what angle your trying to come in on here. I'm not going to write about every boat I've looked at as quite frankly I'd have to write a lot which is only relevant to my situation and not anyone else's. My reasoning for chosen certain brands would differ to the next person.

We have chosen and researched each boat as you would any other large item one would purchase, be it house, car or holiday home. Fit for purpose, reassurance from the brand, reliability, asthetics, price, residual valve after 3 and 5 years, sailing ability, options list and independant reviews.

What is left now are the test sails and weeks charter on each vessel to determined overall suiter.
Although, like I said previously my gf has already chosen without hesitation her top of the pick and would be aboard tomorrow if she had the choice. Me, I'm still 30 percent undecided.

Have you sailed a oceanis 55 with a shallow draft?
I'm not interested in you bad mouthing any boats but I am interested in your ideas of what you like. Boat building is really not about boat building, especially in the higher production builders, it's really about marketing and that is what interests me. I'm always interested in the processes that buyers go through however if it's something you'd rather not discuss on a forum, no problem, I understand. I was even somewhat surprised that you preferred monos as multi hulls are all the rage these days. No I have never sailed a Beneteau 55, I haven't even seen one in the flesh but your thread caused me to look at some reviews as well as look at new and used models available out there. Interesting design, I can see why you have an interest. All I have ever owned has been monohulls but if I was going to try something new, which I'm not, I think I'd try a multi just for the change. I did sail on a 53 ft Hanse and it sailed very nicely.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 18:20   #35

By the way, Hanse will continue producing the 575. Their main distributors around the world requested to continue manufacturing this great sailboat after more than 175 units sold.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tribusue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:42   #36

Boat: Valiant 40

Maybe I'm old school but 5'1" draft on a 53' boat strikes me as too much of a compromise to performance. If you're going to be spending 100% of your time in the Bahamas, then that's perhaps a consideration but if you want to go far and wide go for the deeper 6'3" draft, which in fact is pretty moderate as it is.

It sounds like you've walked around on a cat but never sailed on one. DEFINITELY charter one for a trip. They present two extremes; amazingly comfortable accommodations and a generally smoother ride coupled with the experience of driving a truck rather than a sailboat. It's weird and not to everyone's taste.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53   #37

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I just looked at the Bene55 video on their website.. the in-hull windows are a major benefit to the interior!

Sent from mTalk
Although I agree with your comment, my pontoon neighbour had a port stoven in by a big wave in a Bene 473. Unless it's built differently on the 55, BEWARE!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 11:30   #38

Quote:
The hanse 588 is just amazing, we were properly blown away by it, the build quality and fittings are of a very high standard
Do you mean build quality, or quality of finish? There's a big difference.

For example, is the keel attached to a structural grid? Does it have a flange where it joins the hull? Is there more than a single row of keelbolts?

Is it built with a hull liner moulding? Or is the furniture tabbed to the hull?

Does it have a crash bulkhead at the bow? Any other watertight bulkheads?

Are interior water supplies and drains routed through standpipes? Or just through skin fittings like most boats?

Is there a watertight bulkhead fwd of the rudder stock, so that rudder failure doesn't sink the boat like it sunk the Hanse 371 Megawat?

Are heavy-duty storm covers supplied for those hull windows, so that the boat can be made watertight even if one of the windows fails?

I am not trying to be hard on Hanse. Most other production boatbuilders wouldn't shine too well in such questions (and mine are only a tiny sample). I'm just pointing out that most of the really important aspects of build quality do not readily catch the eyes at a boat show
TwoLegged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:24   #39

I am going to look at one on Saturday so I will find out.

Water tight bulkheads are not on a Oceanis or many standard yachts, last boat I was on that had that option had a gun on the front a submarine on the back and I had to wear anti flash and rig of the day!
Old 22-12-2016, 08:35   #40

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Beneteau oceanis 55

Did you by chance ever check out a Passport Yacht? Also before you eliminate cats check out SV IMPI. Their L440 is spectacular and they're all Over the world.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:24   #41

I've sailed on a 2016 Oceanis 55 as well as a 2015 Oceanis 45.

The 55 is big, really big compared to the 45, winches, lines, sails, systems, etc., equals more work. Both sailed well even with in mast furling. We did not have any issues docking without the joy stick but the bow thruster did come in handy at times.

The crew I sailed with pretty much agreed the 55 was too much boat and preferred the 45. While I do not own a boat, sailing on both reinforced my thoughts that 45 is about as big as I would want to go, especially short handed, of course I'm not 25 anymore either.

Both are nice boats, have fun.

My 02 woth
sailbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:16   #42

Thanks for your comments fella's. I have been watching Impi for over a year now, I even messaged them and had a chat with the guy about certain things. Their 440 is lovely. We haven't discounted a cat by any means, the new Lagoon 42 is in our top 3, been on one twice now, beautiful boat. We are just having the dillema that many sailors have, trying to pull away from a mono hull, hence why we have a mix of the two in our list.

Viewed a 55 the other day, was very impressed. The back deck is huge, loved the position of the winches, the 45 degree angle steps in to the saloon, the saloon itself and the master bedroom. I know its not everyones taste but I thought it was quite some vessel, I'd happily live on and sail one of those around the world. I have also been following sailing vessel Zatara on utube in their 55, they seem to be doing alright considering when they started they didn't know the pointy end from the blunt end!

Anyhow the search continues, not rushing in by any means.

BTW what depth keel did the 55 have that you sailed? Can you remember?
Old 22-12-2016, 12:42   #43

Quote:
No children just us and all our friends and family and watersports equipment, hence needing a big boat.
I would caution about breaking one of the cardinal rules of boat buying:

"Don't buy a boat for your friends and family".

Friends and family will come out for the first visit. If you remain local, the first year will feel like people are on the boat every other weekend. That will wind down. Soon guests, especially non-boaters, start to feel like their in the way.

Your data says UK, where are you planning on cruising? Will friends and family be flying long distances to visit frequently? That is probably doubtful.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:53   #44

The 55 we sailed has the standard or deep keel, I believe it 7'7".
sailbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:54   #45

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

How about a Passport Yacht?

Tags
beneteau, oceanis