Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 08:41   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS
Re: Beneteau USA Factory Delivery Problems

I suspect your boat was sidelined in favor of completing boats that were sold through brokers working for charter companies like Moorings.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 11:49   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec H View Post
I suspect your boat was sidelined in favor of completing boats that were sold through brokers working for charter companies like Moorings.
The boats sold for charter in the Caribbean aren't usually delivered until Sep/Oct.
Old 31-05-2016, 11:54   #18

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Just a question of curiosity. Did you record the HIN of the hull they showed you and said was yours when you went to the factory in March? If you did I hope it's the same as the one they deliver to you. If it's not you might have legal recourse to collect the out-of-pocket expenses based on them doing a "shell game" on you.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:36   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I believe it's striking season in France. Usually runs from May to the end of August.
That regards Beneteaus made in France or US?

To the OP: When there is an abnormal delay it is normal to ask to the dealer and the dealer to the factory about a compensation and normally some extras are offered with the boat and that will make everybody happy.

Have you talked with the dealer about a compensation for the delay?

Some friends of mine that bought recently a Salona 38 were subjected to an unusual delay and ended up receiving a lot of extras as compensation.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:48   #20

If this was happening in Australia I'd have another worry that no one seems to have thought about which would be are Beneteau going broke.
Sure they have big flash factories around the world and sell heaps of boats but are they making money?
With our sluggish economy we've had the normal collapse of companies but in Australia's instance especially in manufacturing there are a multitude of companies showing all the signs of slowly going bust.
Like laying off staff, slow delivery along with pricing discounts that seem ridiculous. How are they selling so cheap?
I hope this isn't the case with Beneteau for your sake.
I'd be setting up a facility where all monies for the boat are held by a third party where the manufacturer is guaranteed getting paid on delivery as well as you are guaranteed getting your money back if they don't deliver.
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:57   #21

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonem17 View Post
If this was happening in Australia I'd have another worry that no one seems to have thought about which would be are Beneteau going broke.

Beneteau is a public company, and financial data is readily available. They are making money, though not as much as in 2008...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:39   #22

Not sure about the USA factory but in France the production line moves quite quickly, the 40 to 50 ft line in cholet moves one boat width every 2 or 3 hours and the line is around 30 boats, so if you saw your boat with the top on it should be half way down the line and only days to the water tank, so after that the keel is attached and all the minor defects are sorted it's only a few weeks to completion.
Did you see the hull number marked on the boat with a large marker pen, in the French factory there is no missing that, the hin number is very difficult to see.
I wonder if either your hull has had a problem, or they are changing hulls on you, request another factory visit and ask for the hull number of your boat.
I actually have a Jeanneau but they are made alongside beneteau's at the Cholet factory near Nantes.
Hope everything gets sorted.

Regards

Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 19:12   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

I bought a 2013 B Oceanis 41 from the factory in 2012. She arrived timely in December, and was in the water by February. Sorry your experience wasn't as pleasant.
BillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 19:35   #24

I just have one question: do you want a boat build to a time deadline or do want a boat built carefully and correctly?
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 20:35   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
I just have one question: do you want a boat build to a time deadline or do want a boat built carefully and correctly?
And I have a question for you: do you really think that the delays are due to them taking extra time to do an especially careful and correct job? These boats, as described above, are built on an assembly line, sorta like a toaster. The delays experienced reflect some change in the delivery schedule, something like another customer with more clout getting the hull he was scheduled to receive, and his being sent back to the end of the waiting line.

Shabby practice IMO, no matter what the excuse offered. I do not blame the OP for being pissed off... I sure would be!

Jim
Old 01-06-2016, 04:00   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I ordered my Oceanis 45 in early November. Delivery to Annapolis was mid March. The dealer finished the add ons and launched her April 7th.

I did visit the factory. Their delivery date was pushed back a few times. I don't believe I was bumped back in line; there were actual production delays. I think this is easy to track because the hulls are numbered. I know I got the same hull that was half way down the line when I was there. I think it would be really hard to pull one out of the line and put it back in later.

When you do get the boat there will be minor issues that come up. I believe this will be true with all boats. Take the time to go through every compartment, even ones that are screwed closed, and inspect everything. All of the issues I found were quickly addressed by the dealer.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:16   #27

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec H View Post
I believe that the purchasing team at TUI/Sunsail/Moorings does not need a broker to deal with Beneteau.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:21   #28

Jim Cade, I realize that beneteaus are built on an assembly line, very much like a toaster. And I don't expect that a lot of time or care goes into knocking one out. There is a reason why the serious cruising community refers to them as 'bent-in-twos" or "bent-up-toys" but there is always the possibility that a hold up on a essential component has stopped the line. Why does everyone always have a conspiracy theory? "Some rich guy bribed the company to build his first!" Etc.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:38   #29

Quote:
Jim Cade, I realize that beneteaus are built on an assembly line, very much like a toaster. And I don't expect that a lot of time or care goes into knocking one out. There is a reason why the serious cruising community refers to them as 'bent-in-twos" or "bent-up-toys" but there is always the possibility that a hold up on a essential component has stopped the line. Why does everyone always have a conspiracy theory? "Some rich guy bribed the company to build his first!" Etc.
I don't think it's as much about being late but rather the rude way this company treats it's customers. If you know you are not planning on completing a boat for 4 weeks why would you give the person 3 days notice of this fact.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:44   #30

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Bendy-toys is another one. We bought a 36.7 back in 2009 but it was already 90% complete at the factory. At the time we ordered the only thing left was installing the options. I place blame here on the broker, they already have their commission so why should they exert any effort? I had a similar experience from the San Francisco Beneteau dealer, the problem being the owner. About all the poster can do at this point is try and get some dealer concessions to compensate for his extra expenses.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, delivery