Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 19:19   #1

looking to buy a 1997 lagoon

hi all

i'm looking at a 1997 lagoon 37 to possibly buy. what are the problems i should be looking for when looking at the boat ? i've had mono hulls before but never a cat...

all comments welcome..

thanks
grego
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 20:11   #2

Boat: Hans Christian Christina 40
Re: looking to buy a 1997 lagoon

Hi Grego,

I had a Lagoon 40 rafted up alongside me in Tenerife, there was a lazy swell coming into the Marina and one of their mooring cleats pulled straight out of the deck.

After traversing the Panama Canal I was anchored in the Playita anchorage a Lagoon 40 departed from the anchorage but returned after hitting a log which forced their Saildrive up into the hull causing a breach. They had to beach the boat to stop her sinking further.

When I was in Bundaberg a storm swept through the Marina. One large Lagoon broke free from the hammerhead pontoon and hit another Lagoon 38 knocking it off their hammerhead pontoon, the smaller Lagoon then bounced off another pontoon causing a breach. This Lagoon had to be hauled up the beach to save her, it was an insurance write off.

My opinion of Lagoon's is based on these experiences and I would say they all belong in a sheltered Lagoon. Sorry for the bluntness but you did ask. Good luck though!
Whisper 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 05:21   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
hi all

i'm looking at a 1997 lagoon 37 to possibly buy. what are the problems i should be looking for when looking at the boat ? i've had mono hulls before but never a cat...

all comments welcome..

thanks
grego
The 37 I believe is a TPI model made in the US, they had a balsa core and were well made. Most of the ones I have seen required extensive refits. Ensure surveyor does a thourough job and that the surveyor isn't a hack. Check their credentials don't take their word on face value.
They were known for salon window leaks, and any deck hardware penetration if not maintained would create some issues.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 14:54   #4

thank you for your quick responses... i've read that the windows leak.. i guess any water intrusion will rot the core.. and i agree a good surveyor is required and one that knows cats..... any other lagoon owners out there have any suggestions or comments ??

thanks
grego
Old 27-04-2019, 14:59   #5

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Better buy a 48 feet monohul of you need the space .
They are bad boats made cheap for charter .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 08:44   #6

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

If you are looking at that size, I would look at seawind 1000’s or 1160’s too. Same size and from owners I know and personal experience they are good, seaworthy boats. I have not been on a lagoon 37, so cannot comment.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 09:12   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Better buy a 48 feet monohul of you need the space .
They are bad boats made cheap for charter .

Wow. The TPI boats were some of the best boats made by Lagoon ever. The 37 and the 42 were all or mostly vinyester resin and were ahead of their time in that regard. The interiors were also more yacht grade finished than the cheaper laminated stuff used today. You may have some issues but after all they are 25 years old. I like em.
Old 28-04-2019, 10:59   #8

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordharley View Post
If you are looking at that size, I would look at seawind 1000’s or 1160’s too. Same size and from owners I know and personal experience they are good, seaworthy boats. I have not been on a lagoon 37, so cannot comment.
I think you just commented despite not being able to comment. Oddly it was a comment about totally unrelated vessel. 😇
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 11:51   #9

Boat: Privilege 37

I looked at one about three years ago and came very close to buying it. IMO a very well built boat and heavy. Agonized over the survey because top of cabin came out pretty “wet”. One off or inherent...I don’t know. Ended up with a Privilege 37.
sosumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 12:09   #10

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

Good catch. Now we are both making comments with no bearing to the thread!
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:08   #11

Any light 30 year old balsa cored boat will have issues. Even my TPI monohull.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 14:02   #12

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I have a TPI Lagoon 37. Sails pretty well. With wind and kevlar main, we see consistent 8.5 to 9 knots. She can point as well. As far as issues with the boat. Walk around the deck and there can be soft spots forward of the main berth hatches. We had soft spots that have been filled with epoxy ($200). I recaulk my main windows every 2-3 years for leaks. Currently have only 2 leaks. Extremely large aft head on port side. The smallest head on starboard side. Love the straight shaft drives and repowered with Beta 20's. Installed a genset in the aft starboard berth.
Engines are inside (a big plus). The port engine is very easy to get to. The starboard engine displaces the guests in that berth to check oil and fluid.

Most of the work has been performed by me. All the hatch lenses had to be replaced at $300 each. I think we have 10-12. I cut them out and replaced them all for $300. These boats have true water tight compartments. We can take a hole in the front 8 feet or aft 6 feet and still float. As far as quality, These are built rugged and flex much less than the newer Robertson Caine boats (cracking main saloon windows-not good) Sail better than the new lagoons of same size. They offer a great foundation for my forever boat. Great for 2 couples or a family of four. Mast height goes under 65' ICW bridges. (55'). Definitely recommend a code zero on endless furler. We also have a huge spinnaker that basically wraps around the boat from bow to opposite stern. Would I like another boat- I guess the 42 TPI but this boat is plenty of boat and is holding its value very well. I am guessing the value will still depreciate but not much. I couldn't replace it for this amount. We have a hardtop- a must.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 19:37   #13

thank you all for your comments..... am seriously considering making and offer..

thanks again

grego

Tags
lagoon