Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2019, 14:16   #1

Importing tax on sails

Hello to you all,
Does anyone know how much the taxes are for importing sails into the States? Particularly to Florida?

Appreciate your help!

JBas
JBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 14:43   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Importing tax on sails

There are no taxes on sail imports, and no STATE taxes on any kind of imports. Imports are a federal matter, and they may apply TARIFFS and IMPORT DUTIES to anything that comes into the country. And they will vary depending on WHERE the goods are coming from.
And if it isn't shipped by postal service, you'll need to pay a brokerage fee as well. If you're getting sails from China, ship 'em China Post, the rest of the world still subsidizes China as a developing nation, to their overseas postal rates are a joke.
Right now a lot of tariffs are under argument for change. Ask a vendor that oyu may be dealing with, if they say "We don't know" they're neither sailmakers nor clerks, find another one.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 14:49   #3

Tariffs and Import Duties are Taxes; and yes they vary by country of origin
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 08:19   #4

thanks for your reply’s, possibly coming from Thailand, does anyone know a ball park percentage ? Or yacht in transit procedure ? They’ll be going to a freight forwarder then overseas. From what I hear the yacht is transit isn’t always
Possible.
JBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 10:15   #5
cruiser

Call Fedex or DHL and they can calculate the amount.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 10:27   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

"Sails of textile materials" is HTS code 63063000 which is zero duty from Normal Trade Relations counties. I imagine Thailand is NTR but you might check. I think you may need formal clearance depending on value.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 11:54   #7

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

No tax or fees on sail brought from Thailand to Florida. Other than shiping fees. Rolly Tasker = good sails.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 00:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

The Europeans are complaining about Trump's trade policies, but I hate to say it, he's right.

Everything I order from the US and have shipped to Germany is taxed again 20% on the cost of the item and and and the shipping costs.

Still, sometimes it's still cheaper to buy, ship and pay the duty than to buy the same item from a European chandlery.

I especially feel sorry for the Brits, everything is in £s. Ouch!
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 01:43   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
The Europeans are complaining about Trump's trade policies, but I hate to say it, he's right.

Everything I order from the US and have shipped to Germany is taxed again 20% on the cost of the item and and and the shipping costs.

Still, sometimes it's still cheaper to buy, ship and pay the duty than to buy the same item from a European chandlery.

I especially feel sorry for the Brits, everything is in £s. Ouch!
Since German GST is 19% why do you think this import tax is wrong. You pay it on items purchased in Germany. I can't see how you can connect this with Trump being right on trade. If you import the other direction into a US state in most cases you are supposed to pay the local use-tax on it.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 02:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Since German GST is 19% why do you think this import tax is wrong. You pay it on items purchased in Germany. I can't see how you can connect this with Trump being right on trade. If you import the other direction into a US state in most cases you are supposed to pay the local use-tax on it.
Excuse me? We are discussing the fact that foreign made sails are not charge customs duties when imported into the US. My cousin sent me a nice set of German kitchen knives made in Solingen. I had to pay 19% again.

I don't believe one has to pay state sales tax on imported items whether from another state or country. Unless that state has a branch of the firm in it.

This is not a forum to start a discussion on fair trade.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 02:56   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Excuse me? We are discussing the fact that foreign made sails are not charge customs duties when imported into the US. My cousin sent me a nice set of German kitchen knives made in Solingen. I had to pay 19% again.

I don't believe one has to pay state sales tax on imported items whether from another state or country. Unless that state has a branch of the firm in it.

This is not a forum to start a discussion on fair trade.
You brought up the Trump political comments, not me.
And yes in most states you are legaly required to pay use-tax at the same rate as sales tax if the sales tax was not collected. In practice this is ignored by most people except for large purchases like cars and boats.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, sail, sails