Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 03:19   #1

Cavalier 32 for circumnavigation?

I have a Cavalier 32 (one of the first ones built in Sydney) and I absolutely love it. Am considering my options for the future tho - whether I stick with this boat or 'upgrade' to a slightly larger boat.

I am a single hander and the plan is to continue to build my experience sailing on the east coast of Australia and then head off within the next 8 years to live on board and cruise the world indefinitely.

The question is, would the Cavalier 32 be enough for me to circumnavigate the world with (perhaps with some modifications)? Or should I upgrade? And if so, what to?

Greg
lakey214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cavalier 32 for circumnavigation?

Personally I'd go with what you have..
You seem happy with her.. her rig will be good on the E-W circuit running mainly downwind.. they have a great rep just go over the rig well and check your rudder shaft, provision and go.. upgrade as you go if and when you need it.. you'll be sailing through areas cheaper than Oz..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:55   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Cavalier 32 for circumnavigation?

Tough boats, saw one in Hobart that had just about completed a eastabout run around Cape Horn and from NZ singlehanded. Lost his rig somewhere in the indian ocean and made it to Hobart with no issues. I think there have been a few issues with chainplates on them mentioned recently on here. But that is to be expected on any older boat.
Old 16-12-2018, 06:49   #4

Hi Lakey, Can't believe that we are in the same boat, literally. My Cav32 was also meant to be my transition boat, to get some runs on the board. However I have been so impressed with her performance, I was considering her as a keeper. I am also in the middle of working on the steering area, Found I couldn't drop the rudder without pulling the prop-shaft. All of this led to a voyage of discovery and cost. Almost finished the refit through. New Prop-shaft and redder shaft seals, ($$$) new quadrant cables etc. A compelling motivation to also keep her longer. Refurbish of the rudder etc. BTW you may be able to help me out. I was about to post a cry for help.

Cavalier Lady is fitted with a Bukh DV20 diesel; most were. While working on the switch panel, it fell to the floor disconnecting all of the pins on the back of the key ignition switch!! I don't have a clue which colour goes on which pin. I searched the net and the best thing I can come up with is that the white wire likely goes on pin number 30 (the pins are actually numbered). This is also likely to be the power feed. If you happen to have a Bukh DV20, I wonder if I could impose on you (and anyone else reading this) to take a pic of the back of the ignition switch with the wires attached. It seems that the factory wire colours are the same globally.

Cheers, also happy to chat Cav 32's till the sun comes up. Keith
Cavalier 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 12:21   #5

Hi Keith.

Yep, I have the Bukh DV20!!

I am leaving Sydney for Lord Howe on Thursday so I may not have a chance to get a pic, but if I can, I'll send you one. ����

Happy sailing!

Greg
Old 16-12-2018, 12:26   #6

Here is a pic of "Manolin"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181208_165831.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	182342  
Old 16-12-2018, 17:47   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier 32 View Post
If you happen to have a Bukh DV20, I wonder if I could impose on you (and anyone else reading this) to take a pic of the back of the ignition switch with the wires attached.
I found this one in my archives. I sold the boat several years ago so can't take any fresh ones.

As for suitabilty for circumnavigation, I believe it would handle the task well. A good, sturdy seaworthy boat. I would prefer something larger for comfort, storage and speed, but if you are happy with what it has, then go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavalier switches.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	182365  
Old 16-12-2018, 18:22   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier 32 View Post
....... I was about to post a cry for help.

Cavalier Lady is fitted with a Bukh DV20 diesel; most were. While working on the switch panel, it fell to the floor disconnecting all of the pins on the back of the key ignition switch!! I don't have a clue which colour goes on which pin. I searched the net and the best thing I can come up with is that the white wire likely goes on pin number 30 (the pins are actually numbered). This is also likely to be the power feed. If you happen to have a Bukh DV20, I wonder if I could impose on you (and anyone else reading this) to take a pic of the back of the ignition switch with the wires attached. It seems that the factory wire colours are the same globally.

Cheers, also happy to chat Cav 32's till the sun comes up. Keith
If you don't get it sorted easily and if you want to start a new thread, it won't be hard for us (the collective CF brains trust) to work it out for you.

Just include the number and colours of the wires and details of the ignition switch (i.e. how many positions does it have, is there the start function part of the switch etc) - maybe a photo or two.

For the OP, my take on the Cav 32 is that the vessel is fine for your intended use. You have to decide how much room you need to be happy i.e. how much stuff you need to be content at sea. It varies a lot from person to person .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 20:37   #9

Boat: Vancouver 27

There are a lot of boats smaller than yours out there! +1 that speed, comfort and storage could all be good reasons to go bigger if that's something you decide you want. No valid secondhand answers in my book.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation