Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 20:51   #1

Navigation data

Hello all. I have been using Nobeltec 4.1.357 since 1995 while cruising in the Caribbean.

As I recently bought a Simrad 3G radar I have started using OpenCpn 4.8.4 and am really impressed with the radar overlay and the radar display also showing AIS targets. What a great way to align the radar!

I would not call OpenCpn "plug and play" due to its many sophisticate features but I am reading the manual and have had help from an experience OpenCpn user.

The one thing I would like to suggest is that the Navigation data be in one window, you can chose what to show, and place it in an order and spaced that makes sense to the user.

In Opencpn, between the Route Window and the Dashboard window, all the info is there but it cannot be manipulated in the order that the user wants them to be.

I have attached a picture of my Nobeltech "Console" with the items I have chosen from their long list similar to Opencpn.

Thanks for the opportunity to make suggestions.

Allen
sv Honalee
Puerto Lindo, Panama
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Nobeltec Console.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	175149  
svhonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Navigation data

Options->plugins->Dachboard->preferences.
You can choose as many dachboards as required and add any instrument to any dachboard. Then on navigations screen mote them around as desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svhonalee View Post
Hello all. I have been using Nobeltec 4.1.357 since 1995 while cruising in the Caribbean.

As I recently bought a Simrad 3G radar I have started using OpenCpn 4.8.4 and am really impressed with the radar overlay and the radar display also showing AIS targets. What a great way to align the radar!

I would not call OpenCpn "plug and play" due to its many sophisticate features but I am reading the manual and have had help from an experience OpenCpn user.

The one thing I would like to suggest is that the Navigation data be in one window, you can chose what to show, and place it in an order and spaced that makes sense to the user.

In Opencpn, between the Route Window and the Dashboard window, all the info is there but it cannot be manipulated in the order that the user wants them to be.

I have attached a picture of my Nobeltech "Console" with the items I have chosen from their long list similar to Opencpn.

Thanks for the opportunity to make suggestions.

Allen
sv Honalee
Puerto Lindo, Panama
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:37   #3

Thank you for your reply but note that the "Select instrument to add" does not have the following options:

TTG
ETA
RNG
BRG
XTE

But does have:

SOG
COG
VMG

When you track to a waypoint a window opens with:

ETA if the head of the column says "Route" or XTE if the head of the column says This Leg"

BRG
VMG
RNG
TTG

My point is that you have to look at two windows, that look different, and not in a logical order in my opinion as I could do with Nobletec.

See picture attached.

Thanks,

Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenCpn Nav data.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	175177  
Old 10-08-2018, 08:00   #4

Boat: naver 29

If you know your way around A computer then have a look at openplotter and some of the node red dashboards some user's have built
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:48   #5

Thank you for your comment.

My reason for switching from my beloved Nobeltec is the radar window, also showing AIS targets and overlay.

Again, I am just saying that the navigation data is all available on OpenCpn and it would be nice to have it in one window, instead of two, and be able show them vertically in any order the user wants.

Thank you.

Tags
navigation