Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 10:10   #1

Insurance for Atlantic crossing

Hi! I'm about to do the Atlantic crossing this November and I'm looking for an insurance. The yacht is not mine, therefore I'm looking just for an insurance that covers the personal medical emergencies and ocean rescues.

I've seen a lot of different ones but I can't really understand what amount of expenses my insurance should cover and additional services I should look into.

Anyone had experiences in a similar case an can help me? and maybe can recommend specific insurance companies?

Thanks a lot
fra.bia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:23   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Insurance for Atlantic crossing

fra.bia,

Try these guys. They insured our Atlantic Crossing this past May into Hurricane season.

Kent Urbine
The Pegasus Group
1350 County Rd. One#270
Dunedin, FL 34697

336-280-4312 Phone
336-510-9442 Fax
thepegasusgroup@outlook.com Email
www.thepegasus-group.com
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 07:03   #3

Good afternoon Fra.Bia

A couple of sailors, myself included, have been asking questions about insurance for an Atlantic crossing after following the story of Dove II - a Hanse 531 which had to be abandonded off Barbados before Xmas due to a lost rudder. The sailor's insurance did not cover the loss but it has not yet been said why.

May I ask if you were successful in obtaining insurance for your crossing and what the restrictions on the policy were?

Thank you for your help and best wishes
SailMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 07:28   #4

Without digging deep in the story of the Dove II, I suspect they had just a liability insurance as most boaters.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Without digging deep in the story of the Dove II, I suspect they had just a liability insurance as most boaters.

See I'd bet they had insurance, but it didn't cover the crossing.
I'd bet they didn't get insurance due to the cost, which is from my understanding pretty high.
My current insurance only covers me I think 50 miles offshore, I have it that way as its cheaper and if I will go further than 50 miles, I just call the insurance Co and they change it to what I need and of course bill me, but being a weekend warrior and only having a two week vacation once a year, I don't need more.
I can see if maybe that if they were in a relatively new to them boat and maybe if they had not been insured for years and are now wanting insurance to cover a crossing it may be prohibitively expensive, so if so you have two options, don't go, or take the risk.
I would have taken the risk myself.

I can only hope that a large sum of money is not owed on the boat.
Years ago I used to race SCCA SSC, which was Chevrolet Vega's and Renault R5's. I remember a guy that had totaled his R5, he was standing by the wreck and he told me, just think 30 more payments and it's mine. He had full coverage insurance as he had borrowed money on the car, of course it didn't cover racing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:43   #6

Embracing on a jurney/race which is not covered is like not having any insurance. BTW I haven't seen a policy with pricing yet suitable for the case (probably manufacturing failure, happens in the high seas during ocean crossing).

Heard rumors, that you'll easily pay 4% of the boat's price, which is quite ridiculous, it assumes one total write-off in every ~25 passages. I don't think there is 1 in a hundred...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, insurance