Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 13:39   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 C
Thoughts on Liveaboards for Atlantic Crossing

I am new to this forum and will greatly appreciate some thoughts on the best options for a used monohull that combines the comforts of a good liveaboard with the stability and qualities (safety record) required for Atlantic crossings.

To me, comfort, stability and quality are more important than speed.

I am currently looking at used Benetau Oceanis 44’ and 46’.
viben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 23:19   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Thoughts on Liveaboards for Atlantic Crossing

have you sailed before?
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 23:44   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
have you sailed before?
+ where are you based? What is your budget?

Your initial thoughts are ok for sizing but... a center cockpit is better and more secure (for us at least)

GL and welcome here.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 03:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, viben.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 04:10   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I sail a Bene 393 and its fine for ocean crossings. A 44 or 46 would be even better.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 04:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

To some extent you will have a bunch of us coming in and telling you our boat is what you need

But to make much sense of this really, experience and budget to buy and maintain is important.

mid 40's boat is not a small boat, I'd suspect just by you asking that question, you may not have a lot of experience. I was looking mid 30's myself as I did not have experience either, and more than mid 30's is a lot of boat for an inexperienced person like myself, but is plenty big enough for a couple to be comfortable. I ended up a little bigger than I wanted cause the wife really liked this one, and I got it at a very good price, but still think mid 30 ft boat would have been fine for us.

Safety wise, a whole lot has to do with the competence of the crew. Best, most sea worthy boat there is can be sunk by incompetence, but a very competent person can safely take a coastal boat places I will never venture.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 06:00   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Viben,

This kind of question will bring a multitude of responses, many of them conflicting.

An atlantic crossing with say, the ARC, is generally a bit of a milk run. So the real question isn't is a Beneteau 44 good for that, but rather what are you adding to the stock benny to make it blue water?

ours is a 40 ft jeanneau. We've added (because we plan to circumnavigate) a watermaker, a targa bar, radar, ocean going life raft, extra set of sails, Epirb, personal epirbs, an SSB radio, a sat phone and many, many other things.

Do you need all that to cross the atlantic? no.

Most production boats will cross the atlantic, assuming you pick your season with care, are a careful and conservative sailor and make sure your boat is in good condition before heading out

Helps if you are a seasoned sailor.

Tell us a bit more about yourself and your plans. ARe you experienced? how many will there be on board? 1,2,4,6,8 people? All those things make a difference

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 07:21   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Viben,

Speed differences will be marginal unless you buy a racer. Then comfort will be marginal. Many people get bored on a passage whether it lasts two weeks or three weeks. If speed counts, fly out and charter a boat where you want to sail it.

Space onboard is not only in how long the boat is but also importantly in the beam. And the layout is of paramount importance: many smaller boats are better laid out and so more live'able and comfortable (than some big boats).

Very many 40'+ boats will be very safe to cross oceans in the right seasons and on the right routes. Also quite a good number of 30'+ boats and a handful of sub-30' boats too. Generally, the bigger the boat the safer it becomes BUT there are other aspects too like the design, the maintenance, etc. and last but NOT least - your sailing skills.

Not too long ago I was onboard a Rustler 42 and in this size range I would make an ad hoc claim this is a very well laid out boat, comfortable in the marina and easy at sea. Given my personal preferences, a boat like this is very close to the liveaboard / offshore adventure ideal.

Boats like Rustler 42 are sort of mid-way boats and you will find roomier, lighter and faster boats as well as heavier, narrower and slower boats in the same length-range. It is only up to your personal likes and dislikes to tell you which one is good for you.

If you get a bit more specific, people will be able to give you somewhat more specific tips.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 07:26   #9

Thanks to all of you. Since you are asking: I am located in Canada. I have sailed quite a bit - but I am far from an expert. I still have a lot to learn. My most exciting experience was a North Sea crossing (Norway to Shetland). However, I have never owned my own yacht.

The plan is to spend a year or longer, full-time and starting moderately, doing the US southeast and the Caribbean, before embarking on the Atlantic.

My initial budget for acquisition and upgrades is $150K.

As they say, my boat is the best boat – until I buy another boat. Hence, I appreciate if you recommend your own boat. I am sure you already put a lot of thought into it before buying, and with use, you know whether or not she lived up to your expectations. However, if you could add some rationale (the reasons why), it would be great.

More general comments about criteria - or features and qualities to look for - will also be appreciated.
Old 19-02-2016, 08:28   #10

Boat: Beneteau 49

I am selling a Beneteau 49' 2007 registered in the US. I have sailed several times from NY to the Caribeans with this boat, and found her well suited for offshoresailing.
I can send you the full description of the boat if you are interested.
The boat is stored out of the water in Grenada.
Princessoftides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 09:14   #11

Boat: Bavaria 44
Send a message via Skype™ to sailing mike

Hi Viben, you might think a 40ft boat is not a small boat, but half way across the Atlantic it feels small....
You might look at an Oday 40, which is a Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40. From the 1980's. A good sea boat, tough and quite comfortable both at sea and moored. By the time you've re-fitted for the voyage. You should still be well within budget.
A bigger boat by volume. Similar style to to Sun Fiz in layout. Well worth looking at is a 1994 Bavaria 44. Fast, very good sea motion and very comfortable.

Good luck
Mike
sailing mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 10:09   #12

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

You need a brand new Amel 55..
Or is it "I need a brand new Amel 55"..
Either way. One of us need one.
Or a swann.. Either one of us needs a new Swann..
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 10:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessoftides View Post
I am selling a Beneteau 49' 2007 registered in the US. I have sailed several times from NY to the Caribeans with this boat, and found her well suited for offshoresailing.
I can send you the full description of the boat if you are interested.
The boat is stored out of the water in Grenada.
How much are you asking?
Old 19-02-2016, 10:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing mike View Post
Hi Viben, you might think a 40ft boat is not a small boat, but half way across the Atlantic it feels small....
You might look at an Oday 40, which is a Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40. From the 1980's. A good sea boat, tough and quite comfortable both at sea and moored. By the time you've re-fitted for the voyage. You should still be well within budget.
A bigger boat by volume. Similar style to to Sun Fiz in layout. Well worth looking at is a 1994 Bavaria 44. Fast, very good sea motion and very comfortable.

Good luck
Mike
I am familiar with the Bavaria, but had not even heard of Oday. Did a quick Google and understand the history. Seems to be some very good deals out there. Anyone having experiences, thoughs or reviews to share?
Old 19-02-2016, 11:05   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viben View Post

(...)

My most exciting experience was a North Sea crossing (Norway to Shetland). However, I have never owned my own yacht.

(...)

My initial budget for acquisition and upgrades is $150K.

(...)

More general comments about criteria - or features and qualities to look for - will also be appreciated.
I think, possibly, given your experience and your budget, you may consider a sub-40' boat.

I say this because, to a beginner, a smaller boat can be easier to sail and run - the forces may be smaller, the systems may be fewer, the cost may be lower too. There are countless very decent bluewater capable boats in the 30-40' bracket. The balance time, energy and funds can be used towards a longer off the grid experience or else as your re-settlement fund for the moment when you find you have had enough of the wet, salty thing.

On the criteria, I would look for at least the following:
- good design,
- well built,
- ability to make you dream of sailing away,
- sail well (if a sailing boat),
- motor reasonably,
- no issues (if buying s/h),
- well matched with your personality, your skills and your sailing plans.

Have fun dreaming and shopping, learning, then sailing,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, liveaboard