Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 06:46   #1

Boat: Malö 40 Classic
Lofrans Cayman Pawl function

I have a 10 year old Lofrans Cayman in my sailboat, and have ordered the maintenance kit in order to "keep it as good as new" :-)

However, I have some questions about the features of this windlass, as the documentation is not very impressive.

The windlass has the ability to use the gypsy for chain and a drum on the opposite side for rope. If I am to use the rope drum I guess I have to either losen the clutch in order for the gypsy not to move the chain, or to remove the chain from the gypsy. Is this correct?

The windlass has a pawl (see enclosed picture) that is bolted to the windlass housing, and I don´t understand the function of this pawl, as I´m not able to move it. It looks like it could be used to lock the gypsy, which would be very useful, as there are no other locking mechanism that I´m aware of. When the anchor is out, I take the load from the windlass, but when I´m sailing with the anchor hosted, there are no locking mechanisms. That means that if the clutch disengages during sailing, the anchor will drop dow. Is the pawl ment to have this functionality, or must I try to fix this another way.

I highly appreciate any comments on this.

Regards,

Bjorn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1497.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	126718  
bbrevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 07:26   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Lofrans Cayman Pawl function

Yes, you need to remove the chain from the gypsy in order to winch the rope portion of your rode. At least I would, seems like keeping both chain and rope on the windlass could result in a bit of a tangle.

The pawl is probably designed to lock the gypsy. I would normally cleat off the chain rather than rely on the windlass, either clutch or pawl or both.
Old 22-06-2016, 08:08   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The Lofrans Cayman Pawl will work properly if you take it apart and lubricate it.
Salt make it inoperable over time.
When the pawl is properly lubricated it will move freely and be able to lock your gypsy.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:15   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

As FSMike posted, that pawl is probably to lock the chain wheel when you release the clutch to use the rope drum. That would require the pawl to move, which you say you cannot do. So it is likely corroded and needs to be freed up.
Yes, Lofrans provides the minimum in documentation. I had a Royal manual windlass for years and found the documentation useless. However I did find that the support from Imtra very quick with a response to a question. Imtra is in the US, I don't know who provides support in Norway. Whoever it is I would ask them about the use of the pawl.
Due to the poor documentation I learned the hard way to ask first before loosening a machine screw on the windlass. I loosened a screw on the top of my Royal. thinking it might be a lubrication point. Instead I unsecured the entire gear assembly inside the housing.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 09:21   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrevig View Post
...When the anchor is out, I take the load from the windlass, but when I´m sailing with the anchor hosted, there are no locking mechanisms. That means that if the clutch disengages during sailing, the anchor will drop dow. Is the pawl ment to have this functionality, or must I try to fix this another way.

I highly appreciate any comments on this.

Regards,

Bjorn
You should secure the anchor in it's place anyway if it's on the roller underway.. A bolt, pin or whatever that works.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 11:06   #6

Definitely have the anchor and chain secured underway, and don't depend on the chain wheel clutch to do this. No would I depend on most chain stoppers.
I latch the chain and the anchor in place with a shackle that is thru-bolted to the deck.
Old 22-06-2016, 23:59   #7

Boat: Malö 40 Classic

Tank you all for valuable input.

I look forward to being able to move the pawl in order to lock the gypsy after having installed the maintenance kit and provided proper lubrication.

I will also see if I can find another way of securing the anchor when underway, if the use of the pawl to lock the gypsy is insufficient? On my Malö the anchor and windlass is below deck, and there are no easy available attachment points in that compartment.

BR Bjorn
bbrevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 05:33   #8

"On my Malö the anchor and windlass is below deck, and there are no easy available attachment points in that compartment. "

Bjorn,
I assume by below decks you mean in an anchor well on the foredeck. In any case that sort of storage mitigates the concern about securing the anchor with something other that a windlass pawl or chain stopper. As long as the anchor can't move around in the locker and the locker has a positive latching hatch cover, you should be fine. I had assumed you kept your anchor on deck in a roller as I and a lot of others do.

John

Tags
fun, lofrans