Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 02:01   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Cruisers' Wiki

Has anybody asked for help posting updates on the Cruisers' Wiki site and basically being told to go elsewhere, we're not here to help you? Is it really worth my time updating this site for cruisers or should I just go and autocopulate?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 02:14   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Cruisers' Wiki

Aren't you in luck... I was just on my way out the door....

Well no....apart from a few years ago when they were doing site maintenance and I brought the roof down around them... I've had no probs...

The Chile stuff is essentially my bit.... I just wander in every now and again and update stuff as I become aware of changes..

They do have a 'sandpit' thingo where you can see how stuff works...and what havoc your changes are about to cause....

So... what exactly is the prob?
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 02:19   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Pete, not sure what "autocopulate" means.

As you can see from my signature, I did add a fair bit for several towns/harbours. I found that some kind of mod(erator) was looking over my shoulder, gave advice and guided me somewhat. However he changed himself a few things without asking me, and inadvertently some of it being incorrect. I had to correct that again. He had googled information from being in Europe, and I was local.......the power of google and being a mentor/moderator...... He and I disagreed on a few things, since then I lost a bit of interest. But I am sure when I have more time, I will start adding more information. I did most of the adding when I was home, recovering after a motorbike accident.

My advice: start writing things, someone will jump in to help you!!
Or read through some destinations, see a layout you like copy that to your page. Take it from there.
Old 28-03-2018, 02:26   #4
cruiser

Autocopulate is a Cruisers' Forum safe way of saying go elsewhere. I spent a considerable length of time researching and writing an update for a port they were screaming out for in formation on. I'm a reasonably intelligent guy but their instructions for including an uploaded photo were incomprehensible and when I politely asked for assistance or for someone to actually post the photo for me I was told to go ask elsewhere, they couldn't help me. If they don't want to help people keep the site up to date they should at least remove the help function or include a caveat "we don't care".
Old 28-03-2018, 02:29   #5

I think NoTies has already put a fair bit of info on the Vanuatu page....

The only input on your page apart from you seems to have been Istopolis (sp) who runs it.. a thankless job I'm sure...

My only concern is that.. as happened to me.. some one can come along and insert text into what you said... I still think it is superior to noonsite
Old 28-03-2018, 02:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Autocopulate is a Cruisers' Forum safe way of saying go elsewhere. I spent a considerable length of time researching and writing an update for a port they were screaming out for in formation on. I'm a reasonably intelligent guy but their instructions for including an uploaded photo were incomprehensible and when I politely asked for assistance or for someone to actually post the photo for me I was told to go ask elsewhere, they couldn't help me. If they don't want to help people keep the site up to date they should at least remove the help function or include a caveat "we don't care".
Re uploading a photo.... first did it a long time ago... yes it is a bit fussy... I just cut and paste an old photo and stick new stuff in the guts

Manana I'll have look at Vanuatu and see how I can help....
Old 28-03-2018, 02:38   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Pete, I will PM you with the mod/mentor's email address, even though I disagreed with him on content and format (what he wanted me to do), I believe he tried to do the right thing and he was very knowledgeable.

Thank you for the explanation for auto-copulating, I thought it was something like that. Funny, that I never posted photos, and the photo my mentor posted is 15 years out of date and new marina has been built on that spot........
Old 28-03-2018, 03:31   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Folks, this is a concern and I will take it up on your behalf.

A minor point, I have removed the swear words from this thread, I know people are trying to help and feel frustrated but I would like to keep the language suitable for your grandmother or daughter to read.

Lets see if we can make some improvements to help people update the Wiki.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 12:53   #9

Uploading a photo.... I hadn't done this for a while but added one a few minutes ago.

Go into edit mode.

Click on 'upload file' on the left... choose the file/photo you want to upload, making sure its not too big.

Name the file - with .jpg at the end of the name you give it.

Fill in the boxes on the form.

Click 'upload file'.

Go to the section you are wanting to edit... click 'edit'

Paste this {{Image right| xxxxx.jpg| caption for photo<br>''Photo: Credit for photo''}}

File in the details

Click 'preview'... check that it worked

Click 'save'.

Job done
Old 28-03-2018, 13:22   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To ALL who have contributed to the Cruisers WIKI (CW):

I thank you for taking the time to add the content you did so far.

I have read several pages and found the content helpful, informative, and easy to understand.

I was often surprised by the amount of helpful content, links, and detail I found in some entries or topics.

My impression is that the CW is somewhat antiquated and could be much better, but whether that could be done easily or remain using the wiki software is not something I know.

My general impression is that some of the content was added a long time ago, but that does not necessarily make it obsolete information.

I do think more illustrations and photos would add to its appeal and possibly bring more visitors to it.

Also, as I recall, it was the CW which led me to CF.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 13:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
To ALL who have contributed to the Cruisers WIKI (CW):

I thank you for taking the time to add the content you did so far.

I have read several pages and found the content helpful, informative, and easy to understand.

My impression is that the CW is somewhat antiquated and could be much better, but whether that could be done easily or remain using the wiki software is not something I know. My general impression is that some of the content was added a long time ago, but that does not necessarily make it obsolete information.

Also, as I recall, it was the CW which led me to CF.
I find it a superior model to Noonsite but maybe thats just me.

If done correctly and if people do make the effort it is simple to update.

Only issue I have is when someone actually changes sentences within something I have written instead of adding a new para... such as 'In 2018 the quarantine situation had changed......' and possibly deleting the old info.

At the bottom of the page you can see who has contributed and- if people can be bothered - when a contributer last visited the area.
Old 28-03-2018, 13:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I find it a superior model to Noonsite but maybe thats just me.

If done correctly and if people do make the effort it is simple to update.

Only issue I have is when someone actually changes sentences within something I have written instead of adding a new para... such as 'In 2018 the quarantine situation had changed......' and possibly deleting the old info.

At the bottom of the page you can see who has contributed and- if people can be bothered - when a contributer last visited the area.
I don't use Noonsite much, but do prefer the CW format.

I edited my previous comment to include this:

I do think more illustrations and photos would add to its appeal and possibly bring more visitors to it.
________

I do think online resources such as CW, CF, and Noonsite can be invaluable.
________

I did enjoy reading your content about cruising Chile. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 14:29   #13

I don't go looking at places on CW I don't plan to visit but just had a random looksee at Fiji.. a place one would think plenty of people pass through.

The first page is best described as turgid and overly verbose.... with no pics.... and straight up I spotted a simply error... Michael Homsany moved to Samoa years ago.... no info at the bottom re when updated and last visited by a contributor.... and the port sections all lack even basic details.

Now that is a pretty popular cruising destination... so are people all just expecting someone else to do the work?

I don't know....

Steady, I hope that on your travels you check, confirm, and tick the box at the bottom of the pages...

If everyone did that it would be a brilliant resource.
Old 29-03-2018, 00:58   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Uploading a photo.... I hadn't done this for a while but added one a few minutes ago.

Go into edit mode.

Click on 'upload file' on the left... choose the file/photo you want to upload, making sure its not too big.

Name the file - with .jpg at the end of the name you give it.

Fill in the boxes on the form.

Click 'upload file'.

Go to the section you are wanting to edit... click 'edit'

Paste this {{Image right| xxxxx.jpg| caption for photo<br>''Photo: Credit for photo''}}

File in the details

Click 'preview'... check that it worked

Click 'save'.

Job done
No disrespect at all for your attempt to help but I get as far as edit then can't even find the "upload file" thingy. I'm not a computer code writer or a website developer and so, if there is a help function, I have the obviously irrational desire to be helped. If they can't provide any help other than to tell me to ask someone else (which hasn't worked in this case) then I don't really know if I can be bothered. I asked for help through the site and it wasn't forthcoming from Lori. He/she told me to look elsewhere. With this sort of poor attitude I'm tempted to walk away from what they were asking and delete the info I spent time researching and posting but there's probably something in there that I agreed to that they now own what I posted.
Old 29-03-2018, 01:46   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

In a commercial world you may expect have a quick answer to your problem, but then you will have probably paid for that sort of support.

However, CF and I suspect the Cruiser Log forum moderators are enthusiastic volunteers who have day jobs, families and their own boats. I certainly do, so all I would ask is you bear with us.

I will see if I can do a screen shot for you this evening after I get home from a hard days work, unless one of the other forum members is able to help out sooner.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, cruise