Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 06:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran
Boat for big family (steel boat choice)

Good morning everyone !
At the moment our big family is looking for a boat for traveling with budget around 200k. And one of choices we considering the 50’ steel custom Motorsailer built in Holland at DeVries yard in 1985. As we can see the boat is in good condition but there is a lot of rust outside over the hull. Before we make survival we’d like to have a clue about around budget to repair and necessary upgrades. What do you think of cost to remove rust and paint the boat? Is is possible to do it at yard for not so expensive (any tips)?
Or it’s better to refuse the general idea to buy this kind of boats and to look for something modern production boat?

Thank you for advices!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	191AE60E-0BD3-43FB-9C4C-BFB189D5D14B.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	163657   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA926001-2E46-481D-88E5-D81C32D2D9A4.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	163664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1F70A75F-67D4-42ED-98B0-AD421FD2A66E.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	163666   Click image for larger version

Name:	9184FF24-AFF5-46E3-8514-CE1E710BD4D3.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	163667  

Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boat for big family (steel boat choice)

Howdy!

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you.

I have looked at all of the photos I could find online of that boat. Including the ones you posted up above. I happen to like Pilothouse motosailors as a type of boat, and I have always admired steel boats, and studied their issues because I thought of buying one for myself some day. I also heed the advice of steel boat owners, though their opinions can be mixed. But I have not owned one, so you may take my comments below with a splash of saltwater.

You are concerned about rust you see on the exterior.

I ask "What Rust?"

In other words, what you see on the outside of that boat (as shown in the photos) is minimal for a large STEEL boat of that age. In fact, it is "de minimus" or negligible compared to most steel boats.

The rust or corrosion you need to worry about is what is NOT visible on the exterior, because it is hidden inside the hull.

The truism is that "Steel Boats Rust (rot) from the inside out." The point is that the rust that is truly detrimental (and worrisome) is what is inside the hull behind the furniture (all those cabinets) and in places you will likely never see with your own eyes. Those places can "KILL" a big steel boat that may appear sound on the outside but is full of dangerous corrosion in impossible to reach places. This is not a joke or hyperbole.

And, if the very small amount of rust you see today on the exterior of that boat bothers you, you will likely NOT like the boat after a season of cruising at sea.

And, maintaining a "rust free" exterior on a boat that size can require almost daily maintenance. Luckily you have a large family so you can give them the duty of painting and chipping and scrapping and priming and painting and so on.

In short, you and your family would probably more enjoy a lower maintenance fiberglass hull boat (a more typical boat), that would not require rust prevention and rust repairs. You can find large fiberglass (FRP) boats in large sizes too, and some are similar in design or type as that one.

I hope these comments help you.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here are some previous discussions about "Steel Boats Rust" in CF that should provide you with many comments written by steel boat owners who have discussed the strengths and weaknesses, rust risks, treatments, etc. Search of CF archives February 2018:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ust&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you.

I have looked at all of the photos I could find online of that boat. Including the ones you posted up above. I happen to like Pilothouse motosailors as a type of boat, and I have always admired steel boats, and studied their issues because I thought of buying one for myself some day. I also heed the advice of steel boat owners, though their opinions can be mixed. But I have not owned one, so you may take my comments below with a splash of saltwater.

I ask "What Rust?"

In other words, what you see on the outside of that boat (as shown in the photos) is minimal for a large STEEL boat of that age. In fact, it is "de minimus" or negligible compared to most steel boats.

The rust or corrosion you need to worry about is what is NOT visible on the exterior, because it is hidden inside the hull.

The truism is that "Steel Boats Rust (rot) from the inside out." The point is that the rust that is truly detrimental (and worrisome) is what is inside the hull behind the furniture (all those cabinets) and in places you will likely never see with your own eyes. Those places can "KILL" a big steel boat that may appear sound on the outside but is full of dangerous corrosion in impossible to reach places. This is not a joke or hyperbole.

And, if the very small amount of rust you see today on the exterior of that boat bothers you, you will likely NOT like the boat after a season of cruising at sea.

And, maintaining a "rust free" exterior on a boat that size can require almost daily maintenance. Luckily you have a large family so you can give them the duty of painting and chipping and scrapping and priming and painting and so on.

In short, you and your family would probably more enjoy a lower maintenance fiberglass hull boat (a more typical boat), that would not require rust prevention and rust repairs. You can find large fiberglass (FRP) boats in large sizes too, and some are similar in design or type as that one.

Thank you!
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:52   #5

Boat: 53' Cutter

More information is needed. If it was built of Cor-ten steel, then the boat will easily last for 100 years with very little maintenance. If it was built of cold-rolled steel (most common) and was properly sandblasted and coated, with normal maintenance it will last 100 years. If it is anything else, walk away.

However, the "rust" shown in the photos is nothing to worry about. It just needs a little maintenance. If you do not feel you are capable of doing such maintenance yourself, then move on and do not look an any other steel boats, as they require regular maintenance and paint touch-ups. If you are not the handy type, stick with fiberglass.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:35   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
...If it was built of Cor-ten steel, then the boat will easily last for 100 years with very little maintenance...
Simply not true. I have worked on Corten steel boats which required massive panel replacement within a few decades of being built.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:54   #7

Boat: Boatless

You got a big family?

This boat is PERFECT!!!

Being an ex coastie (USCG) I spent by formative years with a needle gun in one hand and a brush in the other. You have a built in deck gang! Keep em busy! Maintaing steel not hard but does require diligence. A little bit at regular intervals and you’ll be fine.

You asked about cost.

If maintaining to “yacht standards” could get expensive. If you can live with imperfection then not bad at all, just the cost of basic materials. If going world cruising I’d opt for the 10’ rule.

Worse case when you complete your circumnavigation and put her up for sale have the exterior painted to “Yacht Finish” then, 20-30k and off you go.

Enjoy!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:07   #8

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I have 42’ Ted Brewer Kingsland 1985. NoW in Ft Pierce for 10 year hull sand blast repaint, which by the way I do myself. A well built steel boat doesn’t rust from the inside like wood rots. You see rust on the outside that’s why you deal with it up front. If you don’t yes it will take out a section of deckplate.
There’s always a spot to grind and prime. Glad to chat off line. Russ <svascension@yahoo.com>

You can’t beat steel for safety sits IN the water and your not on a rocking horse. There are downsides to be sure but rust is the only real day to day headache.

Steel doesn’t blister, break, or get rot in the fiberglass core ( balsa or whatever). No wood on my boat at all top sides! No reinforcing back plates for deck hardware, just unabated strength.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:15   #9

Boat: Scout 30

A survey by a really qualified surveyor is crucial. If it passes I say go for it! If you ever run into a submerged container you'll be glad you did.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:18   #10

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Has you visited her? Did you carried out a survey? If no, nobody can answer your questions. Maybe she is worth 200.000 maybe 50.000
Old 07-02-2018, 09:31   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!

I ask "What Rust?"

Ditto on this.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:14   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Always interested in steel boats since that is my life. Obviously good extensive survey required by master who knows steel boats. From what I can see in photos rust is least of your worries. If my budget was 200K I would look for something at 100K. There will always be unexpected expenses that will be far more than you imagine. Check every system completely including oil analysis. Extensive sea trial as well. Charter for several days if possible. Make sure all bilges are well coated.
Seems a bit pricey.
Good luck
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41   #13

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Simply not true. I have worked on Corten steel boats which required massive panel replacement within a few decades of being built.
Then the "little maintenance" required must not have been preformed.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56   #14

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
You got a big family?

This boat is PERFECT!!!

Being an ex coastie (USCG) I spent by formative years with a needle gun in one hand and a brush in the other.
Needle gun and a brush! Boy did you bring back some memories with that statement. Damn those things were loud!!!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:07   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Needle gun and a brush! Boy did you bring back some memories with that statement. Damn those things were loud!!!
Easier than a chipping hammer I think.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, family, steel