Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 00:28   #1

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner
Snubber rigging with bob stay

I am trying to come up with the best solution to solve an issue with my anchor snubber putting sideways pressure on the bobstay as the boat yaws around at anchor. The snubber is currently rigged through the roller at the stem opposite the chain roller meeting the chain in the water ahead of the bobstay.

I have read up a number of articles and is seems there are 2 solutions to this problem.

The first solution is to attach the snubber directly to a hole in the bobstay chainplate at the waterline.

Pros:
Lowers the pull angle substantially improving my scope ratio.
My (substantially built and back plated) chainplate already has a hole below the bobstay attachment point.
Cons:
I will have a permanent rope hanging along the stem.
Brion Toss recommends solution 2.

The second is to run the snubber through a block on at the end of the bowsprit.

Pros:
Brion Toss recommends this solution.
Improved leverage angle will reduce yawing and pitching.
Cons:
I do not currently have a suitable attachment point to add a block at the of the bowsprit.
No gain in pull angle.
Increased lateral load on the whisker stays and more, concerningly to me, the bobstay and forestay as the boat pitches.

Any recommendations?
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 00:34   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Snubber rigging with bob stay

A version of #1
Add a short dyneema line to the base of Bob stay and up to the deck with spliced loop ends and soft shackles for connecting. Then connect the snubber line to the dyneema when you want to use it with the soft shackle.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Snubber rigging with bob stay

When cruising coastal and anchoring nightly, I use option 1, rigging my snubber though a ring at the bobstay fitting. When the anchor comes up, I have the unsightly spectacle of the two legs of the snubber stowed tight against the hull at the bow (they're pulled tight and belayed on deck). Worth it though, since the boat rides super-nice that way.
When going overnight, I unreeve the snubber to prevent the drag from it sitting there against the hull. It's pretty quick to set it up again from the dinghy.
I've never tried option 2, because I hate to load the bowsprit that way, especially if it gets nasty out.
Another option is to reeve your snubber from a place a little aft of the very bow, say a hawsehole three or four feet back. This will make the snubber contact the bobstay closer to the chainplate, reducing leverage on it. My bobstay has a piece of PVC tube on it that spins freely to prevent chafe between it and snubber.

Tags
rigging