Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 11:00   #1

Boat: 53' Cutter
Shipping boat parts into Canada - Fees, Customs, etc.

My US registered boat is in Canada, and I need to ship in some parts from the US. I have not been able to find any data on Canadian Customs and/or fees associated with doing such a thing. I know in other countries this was usually bypassed with correct labeling on the package.

Some parts I need are trivial items like a block, some are larger like a new storm sail, while one part is an entire replacement engine?

How does this work in Canada and what fees can I expect?
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:47   #2

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Shipping boat parts into Canada - Fees, Customs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
My US registered boat is in Canada, and I need to ship in some parts from the US. I have not been able to find any data on Canadian Customs and/or fees associated with doing such a thing. I know in other countries this was usually bypassed with correct labeling on the package.

Some parts I need are trivial items like a block, some are larger like a new storm sail, while one part is an entire replacement engine?

How does this work in Canada and what fees can I expect?
As a Canadian citizen,I order boat & other stuff from US & have it shipped to Canada often. All I have to pay is 15% sales tax (HST.) & zero duty.

If you are a US citizen,I doubt if you will even have to pay HST or any sales tax

There is zero duty on "boat parts" because of NAFTA.
Technically,there should be a few % duty on items mfgrd outside of NAFTA (Mex.,USA & Can. ) but I've never been charged any.

BUT!! The cost of shipping by courier & possibly other freight,whether air/truck,etc-is outrageous.
$50 for brokerage,$50 for "handling", $5-$10) to ship from any US state to the Cdn border & $30-$60 for shipping 1 mile or more across Cdn soil.

I use US Postal,if the shipper will send it that way. < $10.
If US sender will only use UPS/FedEx,DHL-and most do because it is picked up right at their door @ no cost & they don't have to run to the P.O.,then I have it shipped to a mail handler at the US border.
Then I drive over & pick it up & pay the sales tax HST @ the Cdn border.
Of course,I live close to Calais,Me. border.

Perhaps another Cdn. can tell you their method for beating the border freight scammers in the area you wish to have it sent to.

Sorry about the rant
Len
Old 27-11-2017, 12:17   #3

Boat: S2 9.1

I live right on the border with Michigan so do the same as Len.

Generally you are just charged HST which varies by Province, it is 13% in Ontario.
If you have expensive items like a motor it would be worthwhile to contact a Border Broker, they should be able to show that you are a US Citizen and will be taking the boat back to the US at some point and you would not have to pay.
If you are keeping it here you will have to pay.

Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 12:32   #4

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I suggest you go straight to the horses mouth and call CBSA.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 12:49   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

If you are a visitor to Canada I believe you can apply to have the GST reimbursed, perhaps the PST as well.

Import duties on most items are non-existent, unless the USA cancels NAFTA . But as others have said, courier brokerage fees can be a killer sometimes. Delivery to an address just across the border, and then bringing the items over yourself, is definitely the cheapest solution. Otherwise USPS/Canada Post is usually pretty inexpensive, but might be slower.
Old 27-11-2017, 12:56   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/imp-mar-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/help-aide/az-eng.html
Old 27-11-2017, 12:59   #7

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Have you tried sourcing the parts you need here in Canada?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 13:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

I am not importing a boat, I am importing parts (that I cannot find in Canada) to fix a boat.
Old 27-11-2017, 13:15   #9

Quote:
I am not importing a boat, I am importing parts (that I cannot find in Canada) to fix a boat.
You mention trivial items like blocks — you can easily source all that kind of stuff in Canada. All the major sail lofts have shops in Canada, so unless the the storm sail is from a custom shop, it is certainly possible to get it done here. The whole engine might be harder to source, although it is certainly possible.

If you want, we Canadians could help provide sources….
Old 27-11-2017, 13:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You mention trivial items like blocks — you can easily source all that kind of stuff in Canada. All the major sail lofts have shops in Canada, so unless the the storm sail is from a custom shop, it is certainly possible to get it done here. The whole engine might be harder to source, although it is certainly possible.

If you want, we Canadians could help provide sources….
I am all for Canadian sources, but the blocks are custom made and not available anywhere I have found. The replacement top to the Barient 88 winch drum had to be custom fabricated since no NOS or used parts could be found. The sails come from my own loft, and the engine is a problem I detailed in another post. I just used these examples as they were relevant. I have sourced other items in Canada when I can find them.

Regardless, the CBSA website does not specifically deal with parts for a foreign boat in transit (at least, not that I have found yet), so I asked the forum.
Old 27-11-2017, 13:39   #11

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Regardless, the CBSA website does not specifically deal with parts for a foreign boat in transit (at least, not that I have found yet), so I asked the forum.
This is probably the web-page you need: but you probably have better things to do with your time than read all that ...
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...8-1-1-eng.html

just call Customs and ask ... if you can't find it on their website ... they should be able to find it for you ... we pay our taxes to pay their wages so that they can tell us what taxes to pay.

Edit: Just to add that importing something big like an engine will probably require a visit to the customs office anyway, so you might as well call to confirm the procedure.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 13:39   #12

Quote:
I am all for Canadian sources, but the blocks are custom made and not available anywhere I have found. The replacement top to the Barient 88 winch drum had to be custom fabricated since no NOS or used parts could be found. The sails come from my own loft, and the engine is a problem I detailed in another post. I just used these examples as they were relevant. I have sourced other items in Canada when I can find them.

OK, so they’re not trivial items. I guess you’ve got your answer. Very likely the only “fees” will be normal taxes. And it is likely possible to apply for a sale tax reimbursement if the boat owner is a tourist/visitor. Shipping via courier typically involves the use of custom brokers, which are charged at a fee which is often hard to control or even understand at a times. Postal services seem to be the cheapest, but might not be appropriate for large items like engines. Otherwise, the cheapest import option is to do it yourself.

Good luck.
Old 27-11-2017, 14:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
This is probably the web-page you need: but you probably have better things to do with your time than read all that ...
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...8-1-1-eng.html

just call Customs and ask ... if you can't find it on their website ... they should be able to find it for you ... we pay our taxes to pay their wages so that they can tell us what taxes to pay.

Edit: Just to add that importing something big like an engine will probably require a visit to the customs office anyway, so you might as well call to confirm the procedure.

Though I generally prefer not to read legal documents, I seem to do it regularly. That link is exactly what I needed. Though it could be more clear, it was understandable and answered my questions.

Thanks
Old 28-11-2017, 09:08   #14

hello - new to the forum here - been lurking for a few years ...

In regards to importing into Canada its pretty simple once you figure it out. You just need to pay the duties and taxes. Typically if the products are made in the US they are duty free as per nafta and the taxes vary by province.

Depending on where you are you can cut costs quite a bit. For example, I live in Victoria, BC .... many US suppliers will have good shipping rates within the US but not coming into Canada. You can use their freight network to get the goods just south of the border and then use a bonded carrier to get the goods to where ever you are. Also you can go down and get the goods yourself.

As far as clearing customs, you can do yourself and the customs guys will help you, or you can use a customs broker - they will charge about $150 plus whatever duties and taxes are owed. To do yourself, you need a customs office close by.

I believe that you can reclaim some taxes upon exiting Canada but I have never done so.

Hope this helps,

dG
pass_the_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:40   #15

Boat: Niagara 31

Where in Canada are you located?
Restlessone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Canada, customs, fees, parts, shipping