Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 14:26   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Boat storage in Brazil (south of Jacare), Uruguay, North Argentina

Hello Atlantic South America sailors!

We are soon departing Cape Verde for Jacare, Brazil and slowly sailing South from there. Where is the best, cheapest place to store a boat while flying abroad. A boatyard would be nice if it allowed a DIY bottom job and living aboard. We need to store the boat for 1-3 months. Any information would be nice.

Thanks

Brian
www.sailingdawntreader.com
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:26   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Boat storage in Brazil (south of Jacare), Uruguay, North Argentina

If interested in leaving the boat in the water I would consider a mooring buoy from the Argentine guy at the posh place in the bay of Angra (south of Rio)
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:27   #3

Out of the water for longer time I would consider Piriapolis in Uruguay.
Old 18-01-2017, 15:50   #4

In Angra I was referring to Hector at Marina Porto Frade
Old 19-01-2017, 08:15   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Jeanneau Sun Fizz, a 41 ft sloop and a Dufour CT12000, a 45 ft ketch motorsailor

I just sold my beach house in Uruguay. I agree with the suggestion already made: Piriapolis is a nice and safe small town half way between Montevideo and Punta del Este. The Club Nautico downtown Montevideo had a travel lift but cannot handle larger boat because a the shallow depth in the entrance to the marina. What is the draft of your boat? Have a good crossing. Captain Denis
Captain Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:21   #6

Boat: F&C 44, 44ft

I do not know where Jacare is , but in that crossing I left my boat unnatended at Recife, ( there is a Yacht Club welcoming trasient sailors), next stop Salvador at Municipal Marina, then Angra Dos Reis at port Bracuhi. right now you have to check that leaving your boat at Brasil and flying abroad the Marina should authorised by Customs to bond your boat, and not all of them are.
I agree with svlamorocha about Piriapolis for drystorage or Puerto de Colonia ( Colonia del Sacramento) for leaving at a mooring buoy very cheap and safe.
Argentina have a lot of options at Buenos Aires starting at Buenos Aires downtown ( Puerto madero, Yacht Club argentino), expensiove or San isidro and San Fernando area, little cheaper but still expensive
Best prices will be obtained at La Plata Port o Mar del Plata, 25 and 250 Nm from Buenos Aires
victorraies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:23   #7

Just be aware that Argentine customs formalities can be quite restrictive
Old 19-01-2017, 09:27   #8

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Dawntreader, you might want to look into renting a mooring in Saco da Ribeira, Ubatuba. It's a hurrican hole and a mooring per month is very, very cheap. You can get a guy to take care of the boat for less than 100USD a month (although there is no problem there with theft). PM me if you want more information. My boat is moored there and I'd be happy to help out.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:07   #9

Boat: Beneteau 41.1

If you want to leave the boat in the water I would recommend Piriapolis in Uruguay. They have very good prices if you stay for more than 60 days, and the best travel-lift in the eastern South American coast. Depending of the time of the year, you may be allowed to stay on board while your boat is on land.Here you can find almost everything about the ports in Uruguay: Puertos Deportivos - MTOP
Be aware that foreign boats that arrive (sailing) in Uruguayan waters have unlimited stay in our country, and the bureaucratic procedures are much easier here than in our neighbor countries (Brazil and Argentina).
JorgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:57   #10

Thanks for the great info everyone! We draw 1.5 meters and Jacare is near Cabedelo North of Recife.

I have heard that in Piriapolis we would not be allowed to stay on the boat which would make dry docking there a budget challenge, any info on about this being true?

I will look closer at Marina costs in Brazil and if they are authorized by customs to store boats.

Our Ideal scenario would be a cheap secure boat yard that allows us to do our own work while living aboard and is reasonably close to an international airport. But I heard that beaching a boat at near high tide can be done in Brazil, so perhaps hauling out should be avoided all together.

Thanks again for the great info, we are in Brava, CV and getting very excited about sailing South!

Brian
Old 19-01-2017, 14:46   #11

It will be easier to help you of you clarify whether in-the-water options (more specifically a mooring buoy) will work for you
Old 19-01-2017, 14:48   #12

Most Brazilian boats stay in the water the whole year. It would be crazy to do the same in Uruguay. Weather is different
Old 19-01-2017, 14:49   #13

In Brazil you will not find a listing of "approved marinas" for bonded storage. Either the Port Captain trusts your caretaker not to charter the boat, or he doesn't.
Old 19-01-2017, 14:59   #14

Thanks svlamorocha, A mooring would be fine so long as I thought the boat secure.
Old 19-01-2017, 15:02   #15

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

I had my catamaran for three months in the Ilha Grand Bay at Marina Farol de Paraty in the water. That is south of Rio de Janeiro.
It is easy to travel to the International airport in Rio as several busses depart from Paraty (spoken Paratschee) every day.

That was so far ok and not to expensive. If you like to lay up your boat a shore where is a yacht club near Angra dos reis with a travel lift.

Where are more possibilities down the coast of Brazil you will find out then sailing where. I had no previous booking but for June to August (winter) space was available even for a catamaran.

We have even been invited to the Yacht Club of Rio de Janeiro but only as a member introduced us to the club. The club is a little xenophobe (with every respect) but that is to understand as they had bad experiences with foreign cruisers in the past.

Good luck
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Argentina, Brazil, storage