Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2010, 16:26   #1

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
Bracing Wind Generator / Solar Panel Pole

some kind family/friends built me a mount for my wind generator and solar panel out of a 9' long 3" aluminum tubing mounted on welded to a .5" thick plate which is mounted to the deck/toe rail and backed underneath (yes I know just how lucky I am!) but I need to properly brace it....my initial though was rigging like with a mast but that would need 4 sides.....now my thought is to use basically bimini frame material (7/8" stainless tubing) that would be attached using a similar type of system as my bimini is attached to the deck.....would that be strong enough??? any other suggestions out there?

the last picture is the type of attachment for bracing I would put on both the pole and the deck

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6583.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	15470

Name:	IMG_6586.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	15471

Name:	IMG_6587.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	15472

brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 16:33   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
cool friends

First of all, I'd like to borrow your friends some weekend soon.

Second, yes. That's precisely the type of bracing that many people use to stabilize their generators. When using the bimini-style parts, it's important to through-bolt the connectors rather than just use set screws. (Actually, this is only important if you're planning to go to sea.)

A concern about the design, as I see it, is that the solar panel will often be shaded by the generator mount. Is there some element in your design to minimize this? Even the slightest shadow, such as one from a brace, will significantly reduce the panel's output.
Old 19-04-2010, 16:42   #3

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
yea -- I just asked for a mount for my wind generator and they got all excited and made the rack for the solar panel too......I didn't get any design input unfortunately but hey -- it's free

yea I'll back the strut mounts with aluminum (I have some spare sheets I use for backing material
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 21:14   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
When you get to Mexico, cut off the wind generator mast at the level of the solar panel.
You'll get more electricity.
Don't ask me how I know. lol !!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, mounting, support, wind generator