Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 03:08   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Cleaning Gray Water Tank

This is the most disgusting job on board, and all the more disgusting, because I believe it is totally unnecessary.

Whale make a gray water pump which works without a tank, so I think maybe next winter I will rip out the tank and install that. No tank -- no problem.

Meanwhile -- isn't there some kind of chemical which can dissolve or at least break up the horrible carp which builds up in there? The worst of it seems to be soap. Or at least knock the odor down so that the cleaning job itself isn't so hideous?

Anybody have any tips?

I thought about installing one of those RV holding tank rinser nozzles, but I kind of doubt that this will deal with the hard soap buildup.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:50   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Cleaning Gray Water Tank

Gray water tank may smell disgusting, but the black water tank is truly more disgusting due to the vile contents. Neither is much fun to maintain. Have you tried Vick’s VapoRub on your top lip?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, water