Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 23:14   #1

Frustrated contacting brokers on boats for sale in the Med

First time poster here, I have been lurking here for over a year absorbing all sorts of knowledge from this wonderful site. We are from Australia and are now ready to take the plunge and fulfill our dream of buying a 40ish ft Cat in the Med and spending 4-5 years cruising back to Oz. Have decided on a number of models that suit our need and have found a few that we are are interested in on the usual websites .. yachtworld, yachthub, cruisers forum sale site here etc. Here's the rub..

Our house is currently for sale but we have funds available to buy and move on the right boat now. We have made enqiries on a number of boats in the med we are really interested in buying , subject to due diligence, survey (which I would fly over to for the right boat) etc primarily thru yachtworld. We have usually had prompt response from first enquiry when asking if this boat is still for sale but whenever we ask for more information or heaven forbid a full inventory ( most provided in the ad online are basic and incomplete not even providing engine hours ) all correspondence seems to dry up... nothing back even after follow up emails ..WTF!!!??

We have spoken to multihull solutions and dream yacht charters reps on the phone here in Aus saying we are commited buyers ready to go with a not inconsiderable budget (up to $370 k aud). All positive whilst on the phone but just no response or followup!!??

Can anyone help with any contacts in the med who are commited and might help a ready to go, prospective purchaser!!.

I just can't believe the lack of response from the brokers I have approached when we are truly interested in a boat advertised, what would the owner think of their sellers attitude and lack of interest in following up on a committed potential buyer?

Anyway, that's my rant for today... I am frustrated and would really appreciate any of your help or stories of similar problems and how you got around them.

Greg
Artzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 00:50   #2
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Frustrated contacting brokers on boats for sale in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzoo View Post
First time poster here, I have been lurking here for over a year absorbing all sorts of knowledge from this wonderful site. We are from Australia and are now ready to take the plunge and fulfill our dream of buying a 40ish ft Cat in the Med and spending 4-5 years cruising back to Oz. Have decided on a number of models that suit our need and have found a few that we are are interested in on the usual websites .. yachtworld, yachthub, cruisers forum sale site here etc. Here's the rub..

Our house is currently for sale but we have funds available to buy and move on the right boat now. We have made enqiries on a number of boats in the med we are really interested in buying , subject to due diligence, survey (which I would fly over to for the right boat) etc primarily thru yachtworld. We have usually had prompt response from first enquiry when asking if this boat is still for sale but whenever we ask for more information or heaven forbid a full inventory ( most provided in the ad online are basic and incomplete not even providing engine hours ) all correspondence seems to dry up... nothing back even after follow up emails ..WTF!!!??

We have spoken to multihull solutions and dream yacht charters reps on the phone here in Aus saying we are commited buyers ready to go with a not inconsiderable budget (up to $370 k aud). All positive whilst on the phone but just no response or followup!!??

Can anyone help with any contacts in the med who are commited and might help a ready to go, prospective purchaser!!.

I just can't believe the lack of response from the brokers I have approached when we are truly interested in a boat advertised, what would the owner think of their sellers attitude and lack of interest in following up on a committed potential buyer?

Anyway, that's my rant for today... I am frustrated and would really appreciate any of your help or stories of similar problems and how you got around them.

Greg
Makes you wonder how they manage to charge what they do. Always worth trying to track down the owner via the boats name if available?

Where about in Oz are you? I'm on the same path, early next year - I'll be looking in the Med/Caribbean - Currently in Perth.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 04:23   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42

call them and make sure they understand you are serious ?
they probably get 100's of emails from all over the world with only 1-3% of those serious inquiries , if you call them and make them understand they you are serious they might get the message ?

I feel that sometimes email is not the correct tool to convey serious intent
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 17:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Makes you wonder how they manage to charge what they do. Always worth trying to track down the owner via the boats name if available?

Where about in Oz are you? I'm on the same path, early next year - I'll be looking in the Med/Caribbean - Currently in Perth.
Hey there UFO, we are from the east coast of Oz, Port Macquarie NSW.. a beautiful spot.
Old 28-10-2017, 17:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
call them and make sure they understand you are serious ?
they probably get 100's of emails from all over the world with only 1-3% of those serious inquiries , if you call them and make them understand they you are serious they might get the message ?

I feel that sometimes email is not the correct tool to convey serious intent
Good point and I agree with you Rene... the phone calls I have made so far haven't ellicited any further response from brokers than " I'll get back to you."
Old 29-10-2017, 08:30   #6

Boat: O'Day 40

Friends of mine went through the same thing last year. They were looking for a big cat and had settled on Privilege. The solution they found was getting a broker close to home who was experienced in buying in the Med.
It was still a little arduous but it worked when nothing else did. They're happy as clams now, cruising the Med.
Based on their experience I'd look for a broker in Oz who has the knowledge.
Old 29-10-2017, 09:08   #7

Boat: Malo 39

Hi Greg, good luck with your quest. I got fantastic service from Feride Demir at Typhoon Yachting in Marmaris (info@typhoonyachting.com), I bought my current yacht from her. She is a small broker so can be more attentive. She is not the most knowledge and being a small outfit does not have so many yachts. However her responsiveness and support is first class.
If you are clear what you are looking for, she does have many contacts and there are plenty of yachts for sale in Turkey. Do say I recommended her to you if you follow this path.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 09:18   #8

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

And I thought this was just limited to Florida brokers!

jewt
S/V Bifrost
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:28   #9

We are in the process of listing our cat with a broker in the Med. We are from NZ and wanted someone we could rely on while back home. We also did some "on the ground research" and think that central Greece is a popular place to sell yachts. There are a number of large yards / marinas around Preveza, Lefkas and Corfu...with a lot of boats for sale! We ended up picking David Rogerson from Network Yacht Brokers Lefkas and he has been excellent...early days through. His details are:
Office: GR + 30 26828 88015
Mobile: +30 6945 347870
Email: info@nyblefkas.com

Good luck.
Family of five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 12:57   #10

Boat: Lagoon 440

Art zoo, PM me, I will pass you off to our broker here in Turkey. We are a Canadian / US couple refitting our boat in Marmaris. Purchased here.
Deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 13:25   #11

Boat: TBC

Hi, I was looking for a boat in Greece a couple of years ago and got in touch with this company.

http://www.ydyachts.com

I think it's pretty much a one man operation but Yannis was very helpful and informative.
I'd have no problem in recommending him.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 14:40   #12

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

It's easy to bash all brokers because this happens so often. Rather than doing their homework, many listing agents (brokers) are just too busy to know about the boats they list.
The only solution is to find a broker who will work to find the answers you need. Keep in mind that specifics, like engine hours, might be better for a survey. But if a broker says the boat is fit and the engine sounds good, that might be enough to have a look.
If a broker says all the right things and you find the boat questionable, drop that broker and find an honest broker.
Your situation is extreme. You are on the other side of the world trying to find a reputable broker in a foreign country. Just keep doing what you're doing. Use the tools you have, which are great compared to 20 years ago. What you need is out there.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 14:46   #13

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Turkey is a great place to look for a cruising boat. Boat designs that have not been approved under the EU's Boating Directive can't be imported (permanently) into the EU so a lot of such boats end up for sale in Turkey. And many buyers are reluctant to go to Turkey, which is silly but true. Friends of mine just sold their boat in Marmaris at a ridiculously low price - the alternative being to bring it back to the States, which they were not prepared to do.

I wish I could recommend a broker but I have been gone too long. I can make a recommendation to avoid Ginos though. Good Luck.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 23:37   #14

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzoo View Post

Greg
Your could try Mathew Farugia of Mediterranean Yacht Sales in Malta. We found him to be pretty good, and serious. If he is unable to help you, I am sure he can refer you to someone who can. I won't give his mobile number out here, but you can find their office number on the web. Also, Malta is a great place to start your adventure - we love the place. Royal Malta Yacht Club is also a great place with great people, and the membership fee makes the Australian fees look like a total rip off.
Happy to keep in touch via PM or FB - we have been over there for six seasons so far, and are nowhere near done with the Med.
Good luck with the boat shopping Greg.
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 04:31   #15

Hi UFO,
I noticed you are from Perth WA and planning on taking the jump into sailing.
Iam from Perth and starting the hunt for the appropriate cat to purchase in the med for our next adventure.
We might cross paths sometime in the future.
Good luck with your boat hunting.

Cheers
Brad
brad03159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, for sale, sale