Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 17:36   #1

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
PVC Glue for inflatable dinghy....

Aloha,

I've been trying to find a cheaper source for the PVC Glue to repair my dinghy when it needs it.

My most recent purchase was a $80 quart of Zodiac 7096 that needs an activator/hardner.

I'm most certain that this product can be found cheaper for applications other than boats.

Anyone have any sources or where to get the glue at some place other than a boat store?

This is what I just ran out of:
https://www.solutiononemaritime.com/...0ml-z7096.html

Thanks!
Matt
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 17:57   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: PVC Glue for inflatable dinghy....

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...inghy+adhesive
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 22:02   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

I just picked up West System G/flex 655 thickened epoxy adhesive (about $17) for my PVC dinghy. It's a simple 2 part hardner/resin (125 ml each tube). Instructions also said to "flame treat" the plastic first. I'd not seen that in the how-to's before. It says the flame oxidizes the surface and creates a better bond. Time will tell how well it works. I spent the last waning hour of the day gluing and clamping a patch on a really awkward spot. Now I wait 24 hours for the moment of truth.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 03:21   #4

Boat: Viking 30

I used pvc reticulation glue at about $4 125ml plus the recommended pvc cleaning agent.

It worked

I patched a small hole in one tube at a point usually below the water, while still inflated on deck on route.

Held the 15mm diameter patch with my thumb for maybe 10 minutes. That was a year ago. Still good.
Also re-fixed around the transom joint. It too has held.

It was an old inflatable by the time I did this so nothing to lose if it didn’t work but it did, fwiw
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 05:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I just picked up West System G/flex 655 thickened epoxy adhesive (about $17) for my PVC dinghy. It's a simple 2 part hardner/resin (125 ml each tube). Instructions also said to "flame treat" the plastic first. I'd not seen that in the how-to's before. It says the flame oxidizes the surface and creates a better bond. Time will tell how well it works. I spent the last waning hour of the day gluing and clamping a patch on a really awkward spot. Now I wait 24 hours for the moment of truth.
If your expecting that epoxy to work on an inflatable pvc dinghy you’ll be very disappointed. It is useful for bonding hard pvc, like pvc pipe, not pvc fabric.

Having tried a lot of inflatable repair glues, my recommendation is to go with the two part glue, absolutely. Lots of suppliers cheaper than zodiac. But it is never cheap. We got our supply at a Worst Marine 2 for 1 sale.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 08:30   #6

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If your expecting that epoxy to work on an inflatable pvc dinghy you’ll be very disappointed. It is useful for bonding hard pvc, like pvc pipe, not pvc fabric.
Tell that to my old PVC Zodiac. I glued a patch and new oarlocks on 3 years ago with G/flex. No leakage at all, holds air for a full year.

I suspect that you have never looked at G/flex. As its name implies, it is designed to allow some flexing.
Old 15-05-2019, 08:47   #7

Boat: Hylas 46

HH-66:
https://www.sailrite.com/HH-66-Vinyl-Cement-16oz

I went through a bunch of glues on our PVC Zodiac with just so-so results until I found this stuff. There used to be a great video on Youtube showing the process where the guy re-glued the entire Zodiac floor back in and then afterwards jumps up and down in his dinghy while floating in a pool to show its strength. I couldn't find the video.

We glued our floor back in with this 4.5 years ago and still holding great. Very good stuff.
stgermain45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 10:13   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I am in the middle of repairs of my PVC Zodiac. I used HH-62 last year, that part held fine. I had another issue, and used the Zodiac 2 part adhesive on the seams, and used G Flex to re-attach the transom. I called West Systems, and they said the G Flex should work to attach the rubber transom mount to the PVC tubes. So far so good, but have not put it in the water and used it yet. It is holding air, and the transom seems secure.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 10:20   #9

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I have a old Capri, Hypalon Material dingy. Its sits in the salt water in Florida year around. I have tried many of the glues, took time to bring in house because of lower humidity. Still have the old glues but will not use them again.

Someone mentioned west 5 minute epoxy, I have keep the boat afloat for two years with this epoxy. IMHO,,,, sand the material, mix in little cabasol, put light fiberglass cloth on leak and soak the material and cloth well. deflate the dinghy a little, 15-20 minutes later re inflate.

I repaired the seat with this method, year later its still good. I have had great luck with the in tube sealers as well for smaller holes, bit pricey but it works.

The liquid rubber from west works very well for the bottom, PIA prep and wait full 7 days to fully cure, but it works if patient.

Just my two cents, many would have tossed this hard bottom dinghy, I simple do not want to buy new until I depart for long trip. I use the dinghy every few days to get to boat on mooring, i blast out and back loaded with water, fuel, in large wind chop. it stays together just fine.
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:23   #10

I had good results with 5200
lazydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:44   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I have used the 1 part inflatable boat glues with good results. I bought 4, 30gram tubes of sea dog water sports inflatable boat pvc glue for $17 on amazon. I have used it on a high pressure air floor that gets stepped on regularly as well as the tubes. Some patches are a few years old and still holding. Every patch I've made has held. Do not use PVC pool repair glue. Tried that and failed.

https://www.amazon.com/SEA-DOG-WATER-SPORTS/b/ref=bl_dp_s_mw_17891057011?ie=UTF8&node=1789105701 1&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=SEA+DOG+WATER+SPORTS
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:46   #12

I've been using Home Depot PVC cement for shower pan liner. The shower pan liner, which they also sell, is excellent patch material. A few of my patches have been on for years, solidly. The newer ones haven't moved either, or leaked.
Old 15-05-2019, 16:53   #13

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Defender Marine
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 02:25   #14

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I think that stuff using the cyanoacrylate activator is for Hypalon boats.

What you need is a different glue--and the one I use is BOSTIK 1669 Adhesive which I buy in 250 mls cans.

I buy small lots because it tends to thicken up quickly once opened--and one has to add more MEK and Acetone to it if that happens.

Mind you--one can get quite a bit of stuff glued with the contents of one can. I think it works out around twenty bucks a can give or take a few.

Follow carefully the directions, and when you are ready to stick it together, make sure it is correctly aligned--because once the two treated surfaces make contact, it really sticks.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 07:01   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Has anyone here ever made from-scratch inflatable gear using this or similar technology?

Links to design / howto / materials sources?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable