Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2019, 07:59   #1

Clearing into Bahamas, Dinghy question...

I just bought a new dinghy for an upcoming trip in my Dad’s boat, from Florida to Bahamas. Dad’s boat is in his name and I was planning on registering the dinghy in my name.

If the dinghy has different Florida registration number, will Bahamian customs make us pay a separate entry/cruising fee for that vessel?

I just bought the dinghy yesterday, this is the first trip we’ve taken with a dinghy. Just need advice on the best way to go about all this.

Thanks in advance!
Fairytale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 08:03   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Clearing into Bahamas, Dinghy question...

I've not heard of the bahamas asking questions about a dinghy. You should be fine.

The last time we were there was 2009, so things may have changed. But I doubt it.

Have a nice trip.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 08:53   #3

Bahama Customs will ask the make and engine info on the dink. They will write it all on your cruising permit but they have never asked for dinghy registration.

No worries.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 16:49   #4

Boat: Bristol 29.9

When we checked in three months ago, the subject of our dinghy never came up. The only questions had to do with the mothership.
Old 28-04-2019, 18:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post
Bahama Customs will ask the make and engine info on the dink. They will write it all on your cruising permit but they have never asked for dinghy registration.

No worries.

What we saw too, also wanted to know if we bikes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:22   #6

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

From my little experience, one time crossing, we arrived at Bimini Sands Ressort Marina (100$/week ha ha). The Marina gave us the customs papers to fill, then called a taxi to the airport (on the same island). The custom lady was very easy, asked 1-2 questions... we paid the cruising permit... and GO ! ... no we stayed 3 days to go to Alice Town.

Our dinghy was on a French registered cat with absolutely no reg itself.
Old 29-04-2019, 10:58   #7

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Just need to list outboards on custom form. My dinghy is in a different name than the boat is (Corp vs personal) and no issue.

I'm assuming when you say dinghy it is under 13 or 14' and not a large "tender" with a couple of 200 hp engines.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 16:40   #8

Boat: Morgan 34

I cleared in at West End mid January on my 34' sloop and I don't recall them mentioning my dinghy or outboard at all, although there's quite a bit I don't recall these days. I was boarded by the RBDF (much like our coast guard) near Nassau in mid March for a routine inspection and they paid no attention to dink or outboard. They were courteous and professional by the way. You could tape a temporary banner over your reg numbers that said TT/[name of mothership] and I doubt that anyone would question it.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 17:00   #9

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
From my little experience, one time crossing, we arrived at Bimini Sands Ressort Marina (100$/week ha ha). The Marina gave us the customs papers to fill, then called a taxi to the airport (on the same island). The custom lady was very easy, asked 1-2 questions... we paid the cruising permit... and GO ! ... no we stayed 3 days to go to Alice Town.

Our dinghy was on a French registered cat with absolutely no reg itself.
Interesting! We got the same outstanding rate in Feb 2019. Great infinity pool. We cleared in N Bimini. Never again! Will always go to S Bimini where the currents are kinder.

As others have said, they ask for dets on engine / dinghy but not for registration. Good thing; our dink doesn't have a registration. "Patches" came with the boat, which was foreign flagged.

A bazillion dollar (OK, exaggeration) boat was clearing in at the same time. He got many more questions. He also had an attitude and started off with wrong paperwork / documents. Have your ducks in a row, $$ handy, be respectful and polite. They want to make sure you aren't smuggling in two dinghies and two outboards with intent to sell one pair, otherwise, they are cool with family-owned this and that.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 17:04   #10

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

They always ask about my dingy and motor. They usually ask that and if we have any bikes and the model of our GPS. It seems they just want a record in case one of them get stolen. When they ask for the type of GPS, give them your plotter info. Make sure you have no more than three weapons or they will keep any over 3 and make you come back for them.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, dinghy