Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 06:16   #1

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Lifting dinghy outboard

I've seen a lot of dinghy outboard lifting harness, and they are mostly very complicated and difficult to attach and setup, and they don't give me a lot of comfort that they won't slide off and drop the outboard. My wife, Jo-Anne, made me one and it was very well made, but I never thought it was safe, outboards don't offer any real points of attachment.
[IMG]10294155_LRG West Marine[/IMG]

It was always a mystery to me why manufacturers did not include some form of external attachment to make lifting engines easy, so I thought I would try my own.

We have a Yamaha 8 that is pretty heavy and requires some form of lifting harness to be easy to manage. I found these very neat strap brackets in the workshop left over from a solar pool heating project. By drilling out to 5/16 and finding some suitable fasteners, I had a lifting point on each side. Two short lengths of strap and a stainless ring later, we had a lifting harness that cannot be removed, has no adjustment, and is very strong. The engine lifted straight off the stand with our workshop winch, and stayed vertical. I haven't tried it on the boat yet but I don't expect it to work any differently.
I invite any comments, criticisms, or suggestions to improve it, I have two more outboards to do.
20190420_083736
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 07:46   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Lifting dinghy outboard

I like it. Very simple and secure, easy to remove the cowl without disrupting the harness.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 12:04   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Lifting dinghy outboard

Looks like a brilliant simple solution. My little 3.5 Tohatsu has just curved surfaces on its underside that allow the usual harnesses to slip off if not further secured with extra straps or ropes. (I think this is a common problem for small outboards.)Your idea seems to solve that very effectively. I’ll have to take a look at mine to see if there is room to drill and through bolt to attach strap brackets. Neat idea. Thanks for sharing.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 08:55   #4

Boat: Mason 44
Re: Lifting dinghy outboard

masonc: This is a great idea . Thanks

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, lift, outboard