Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 17:03   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Do you have a 360 white light on your dinghy?

https://youtu.be/HwvefNQfqas
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 17:10   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Do you have a 360 white light on your dinghy?

We have a tricolor light that we use for it at night, but no white light. At anchor, tied up to the mother boat, the reflective tape on the o/b cover makes it easy to see if someone is using a torch (flashlight).

Ann
Old 11-04-2019, 17:16   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post

https://youtu.be/HwvefNQfqas
Yes I do
Old 11-04-2019, 17:20   #4

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We have a tricolor light that we use for it at night, but no white light. At anchor, tied up to the mother boat, the reflective tape on the o/b cover makes it easy to see if someone is using a torch (flashlight).

Ann
The sailor in the video was run down from behind by a power boat, after dark.

I think the concern is more running lights than anchor lights.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 17:43   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Yes,stainless T fitting on transom accepts 3 ft stainless tube with light at top, Velcro patch on bow takes red/green at night.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 17:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, I do.
I used to have a tricolor “puck” Navisafe on the outboard, it got old and didn’t meet the rules, So I bought this kit that meets the regs.
https://store.marinebeam.com/led-nav...it-for-dinghy/
I don’t install the lights unless we are going to be out after dark.

A lot of people seem to mount a Solar charged deck light on the outboard, and maybe will wear a headlight, neither marks them as a boat, nor meets the regs or allows someone else to determine their direction of travel.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 17:59   #7

Say it’s not so! Using a tricolor on a dinghy? I hope it’s a sailing dinghy!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 18:00   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

A boat as small as most dinghys require a 360 degree stern light as well as a red and green bow light. A guy I know was ticketed in Florida because his stern light on his dinghy was not high enough and was blocked forward by his passengers. In the summer of 2017 I finally found a set of dinghy lights that met all the legal requirements including a stern light tall enough to be over peoples heads. They are not cheap but are the only ones I have found that meet the requirements. The good news is that they are well sealed and are LED and battery powered. I'm still on the first set of batteries. They come with very convenient mounts that allow you to remove them when not in use. The company is called Navsafe and I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 18:19   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I just got a tall piece of pvc, mounted it vertically to the transom using unbolts so it could be removed and put a navisafe puck on top.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 18:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
A boat as small as most dinghys require a 360 degree stern light as well as a red and green bow light.
Wrong on several counts.

A 360 degree sternlight is an oxymoron.

It's either a sternlight or an "all-round light". They are very different.

“Sternlight” means a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 135 degrees and so fixed as to show the light 67.5 degrees from right aft on each side of the vessel.

“All-round light” means a light showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 360 degrees.

A "red and green bowlight" is never required. It is an optional way of showing sidelights. Combined lights are an option on smaller vessels. There is no requirement for them to be at the bow.

"“Sidelights” means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from the right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less
than 20 metres in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel. "

A boat as small as most dinghys [sic] would be less than 7 metres and so requires lights according to its maximum* speed.

A power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may in lieu of the lights prescribedin paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights;

a power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights;

So a normal sized dinghy with a small outboard only requires an all round white light.

*N.B. What is maximum speed?
If you keep the speed of your planing inflatable which is capable of 20 knots below 7 knots when motoring, is your "maximum speed" 7 or 20?

Cockcroft says:
"It does not apply to a vessel capable of more than 7 knots
which is proceeding at reduced speed"

How did you get your "Captain" qualification/title?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 18:35   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I spent six months in Fort Loderdale after buying Thumbs Up and got a ticket both times that I tried to use my dinghy, the second time for improper lights. I had looked it up and the 360 degree white light that I mounted to my motor should have been fine but they said I was on "inland waters" so the rules were different. They have so many different types of water cops there that i couldn't keep track of them all. Things were much better when we got somewhere with no rules. I usually hold a flashlight high and spin it in a slow arc every several seconds and look for "flashes" from other boats. The first time I got ticketed for being "on plane" In my old grey Avon with a 8 horse (which is another story). A light on a pole makes sense. They said I need red and green too. Moral of the story: stay out of S Florida. A friend of ours lost his life not that long ago in Belize, got hit by a big water taxi at night. A lot of big lanchas have very poor forward visibility and the drivers get distracted by their cell phones a lot. It is very important to keep a 360 degree lookout day and night from your dinghy. You need a bright light.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 18:50   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Yes, our dinghy is registered so we have red, green and all round white.
Also lifejackets, vsheet, flares, auto bilgepump, fire extinguisher, water, plotter, sounder.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 18:54   #13

Boat: Formosa 41

StuM and Thumbs Up,

The US Inland Rules leave out all the stuff about less than 7 meters and under seven knots just need and all-round white light, so dinghies inside the Colregs line in inland waters in the US need red and green side lights and an all-round white light one meter above the sidelights, no matter the length and speed of the dinghy.

Florida cops are sticklers and give out tickets.

Again, it bears repeating the the lower keys are under International rules.

I have an all-round white light 39” above the tubes of my dinghy. In addition, under inland rules we hand carry red/green portable sidelights. (A single red green combination.)

We spoke once with a Florida cop at a dinghy dock and were ruled good-to-go with no ticket.

Edit to add: In the event that I didn’t have the red/ green and all-round white light my plan was to take the motor off the dinghy and row back with just my phone as a flashlight. Sneaky.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 19:02   #14

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Incidentally in Canada, an all-round light alone is not compliant.
Quote:
(d)
(ii) A power-driven vessel of less than seven metres in length
whose maximum speed does not exceed seven knots may in lieu
of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an
all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights.

Power-driven Vessels Underway — Canadian Modifications

(e) Rule 23(d)(ii) does not apply to a Canadian power-driven vessel
in any waters or to a non-Canadian power-driven vessel in the
Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland
waterway.
I expect that this rule was added in Canada for compatibility with US inland rules.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 19:21   #15

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yes, our dinghy is registered so we have red, green and all round white.
Also lifejackets, vsheet, flares, auto bilgepump, fire extinguisher, water, plotter, sounder.
The statutory requirement to carry a V sheet (a piece of orange canvas with a black V) seems really just a weirdo thing local to your current jurisdiction, Simi 60.

COLREGS does recognise:

Quote:
3. Attention is drawn to the relevant sections of the International Code of Signals, the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual, Volume III and the following signals:

(a) a piece of orange coloured canvas with either a black square and circle or other appropriate symbol (for identification from the air);
The black square and circle are often on the reverse side of the V sheet.

Tags
dinghy