Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 20:02   #1

Opinions on BRIG or Gala dinghy

Anyone have experience with the BRIG brand or the Gala/Grand brand for dingies?
Looking at a 330 cm RIB. Both brands look good and the price is right but I don’t know about the build quality except what the salesman is telling me
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'
Re: Opinions on BRIG or Gala dinghy

GALA/GRAND = flavor of the month Chinese imports. No.

///

BRIG = Ukrainian origin. OK tube quality if glued CSM/CR. I was not impressed with their overall fiberglass quality a few years ago. Lots of spider cracks once it was a few years old. Cheap gelcoat is less flexible, so it tends to crack a lot.
Old 08-10-2018, 19:13   #3

It’s my understanding that both brands are made in Ukraine.
Old 08-10-2018, 21:30   #4

Call Peter at the Annapolis MD Brig boats location. Peter is extremely knowledgable and forthright concerning the boats he sells. He is the kind of guy who gives great service after the sale, and is easy to reach. I have only ridden in a few of the Brig models, none of the other brand. My take is the Brig boats are at least of consistent quality and the factory is always, seemingly, upgrading their products. My money would be well spent purchasing a boat from Peter, since I know I could expect excellent customer service after the sale. I have told 3 people to buy a Brig from Peter in years past, and those 3 still have me out on their boats and buy my lunch, so I would have heard if something was up.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Call Peter at the Annapolis MD Brig boats location. Peter is extremely knowledgable and forthright concerning the boats he sells. He is the kind of guy who gives great service after the sale, and is easy to reach. I have only ridden in a few of the Brig models, none of the other brand. My take is the Brig boats are at least of consistent quality and the factory is always, seemingly, upgrading their products. My money would be well spent purchasing a boat from Peter, since I know I could expect excellent customer service after the sale. I have told 3 people to buy a Brig from Peter in years past, and those 3 still have me out on their boats and buy my lunch, so I would have heard if something was up.

Thanks Clamdigger. Good info.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55   #6

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

We have a 330 Brig that came with our boat. It is over 6 years old and seems to be holding together well. It's been in the Bahamas for several winters during that time. We do have chaps on it. The previous owner had a 30 hp motor installed which is overkill but it sure does go fast!

I assume the model you are looking at has the console/steering wheel. My only complaint is that there is a obvious trade off in floor space for provisioning, etc. But it sure is comfortable and easy to steer!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:04   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I have a Brig, a Hypolon one. They make both PVC and Hypolon so make sure you're comparing apples to apples when checking prices. The main complaint is that it is a wet dink compared to the other dinks I've owned. (Achilles, Calypso(Apex), AB and Highfield) Also the transom is hollow below the first eight inches. I found this out when drilling holes to mount lifting rings. Had to insert aluminum spacers. Other than that it's been a good dink. A bit heavy and tubes are a bit smaller than other comparable dink. Features are less than other dinks but they may have improved in recent years.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
It’s my understanding that both brands are made in Ukraine.
I partially take back what I said. Looking at GRAND/GALA's hull designs, it looks to me like they buy their small boats from China, and they design/manufacture their bigger ones in Ukraine. I may be wrong.

Zodiac does something similar these days. About 30% of their box boats are made in France, and the cheaper ones are made in China. All the larger boats and AVON branded vessels are made in South Carolina or Tunisia. Avon Seasport Deluxes are actually made in Summerville, South Carolina.

I guess it all really depends what you're looking at. I just wish some manufacturers were more forthright about their factory locations.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:32   #9

Thanks for all of the responses. The Gala I’m looking at has an aluminum bottom and the Brig has fiberglass. Both have hyaphalon tubes. Both have a console and similar setups. Both have 25 hp motors ( Gala is Suzuki and Brig is Honda). Brig is about $2500 US cheaper most likely because it is fiberglass. I didn’t really want to discuss the merits of aluminum versus fiberglass that’s why I did not post specifics originally. I’m not familiar with either one of these manufacturers and that is why I posted about build quality.
Old 31-03-2019, 02:19   #10

Hi, the gala a360d aluminiums hin number indicates that its built in Ukraine . Starts with UA-KLBxxxxx
Kenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:42   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kenman.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 04:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
Anyone have experience with the BRIG brand or the Gala/Grand brand for dingies?
Looking at a 330 cm RIB. Both brands look good and the price is right but I don’t know about the build quality except what the salesman is telling me
A bit late now, but BRIG are spot on. Had a look at their facilities in Devon too, and they have a very good stand at Southampton Boat Show every year!
Christian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 23:14   #13

Hello , i am between brig eagle 340H and Gala vikin 330H. Which one did you bought ? Do you have any advice for me.
jackjone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy