Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 12:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 38
Making AT5 Satellite Charts for Navico Chartplotters

I've been making AT5 charts to display satellite images on my Simrad EVO3 chartplotters for about a year now. I've tried lots of different methods and have finally arrived at one that is fairly easy, and gets consistent results.

I started making instruction files for myself so I wouldn't have to figure things out again for each chart-making session. Those have turned into PDFs and videos that I've shared on our website here:

Tutorials: at5 Satellite Chart Creation for Navico Chartplotters (Simrad, Lowrance, B&G)

The instructions detail making charts with various image sources such as those found using SAS Planet, Google Earth, Google Earth History, MapQuest, and others.

In addition to SAS Planet, I've been using a couple of inexpensive programs to download the images: Google Earth Image Downloader and Universal Maps Downloader. To do some of the data conversion, I use mapc2mapc. And of course, to make the AT5s, I use Insight Map Creator.

Having satellite images on my chartplotter has been amazing. We've been cruising New Caledonia and Fiji with them and wow, it makes life easy. (Yea, yea, I know, don't rely on satellite images to show everything... some bommies might be obscured. We use all the info we have available, including the real-life app - eyes!)

I hope you find this info helpful and useful.
richwest3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, charts, navico, satellite