Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 10:30   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Antenna for Iridium Go

I'm in the process of ordering an Iridium Go for my Arctic trip, and I'm a little bewildered with the antennae.

Single channel Iridium? Dual channel? They guy I'm dealing with at Blue Sky Networks is quite clueless. Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

I don't need the marine kit because I have a sat phone installed already with all the cabling. I don't need the expensive antenna adapter, because I can make that in 5 minutes myself. I just need the antenna, which baffles the sales people

BSN are the cheapest supplier of a new Go! at $695, and they also handle the plans. But I'm not married to them if anyone knows a better deal.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 10:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Antenna for Iridium Go

For example, there is this:

M1600HCT-SMA MAXTENA, Antenna, Helical, Iridium / GPS, Passive | Farnell UK

For 56 quid.

"The M1600HCT-SMA is a 1575MHz/1616 to 1626MHz high-performance GPS/Iridium Passive Antenna with SMA connector. It is designed for the Iridium band, built on Maxtena proprietary HeliCore© technology. This technology provides exceptional pattern control, polarization purity and high efficiency in a very compact form factor. It is ideal for applications requiring operation on the Iridium network and GPS reception and it has -3dBic antenna element gain.
  • 2.8dBic (Iridium), -3 dBic (GPS) Peak gain
  • Very low axial ratio
  • Ground plane independent
  • Screw-on design

Applications

RF Communications, Automotive, Consumer Electronics, Industrial, Aerospace, Defence, Military"

No idea if this is suitable or not. The proprietary Iridium ones cost hundreds, which is hard to credit.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 23-04-2018, 11:19   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We have the cheap hexagonal magnetic antenna for our GO. So far, it has worked well in the Caribbean as an external antenna on an aluminum hull, but not sure how it will perform in North Lats with lower angle to sats. We needed an external antenna to boost reception with our old Inmarsat, but with the strong Irdium signal and being able to place the unit outside, I'm not 100% sure how needed an extra antenna is. Good luck with the search for info.

Matt
Old 23-04-2018, 23:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We have the cheap hexagonal magnetic antenna for our GO. So far, it has worked well in the Caribbean as an external antenna on an aluminum hull, but not sure how it will perform in North Lats with lower angle to sats. We needed an external antenna to boost reception with our old Inmarsat, but with the strong Irdium signal and being able to place the unit outside, I'm not 100% sure how needed an extra antenna is. Good luck with the search for info.

Matt
Thanks; that's helpful.

AFAIK, the angle to the satellites is the same everywhere, for the Iridium system. They are in polar orbits, I think. So if it worked for you, it ought to work for me, bearing in mind, however, that we are mostly interested in data, not voice, which I think is more demanding.
Walt Whitman
Old 24-04-2018, 14:03   #5

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Dockhead,

We just got a used 9555 and plan to use it for voice, text, and data. We have not tried data yet - but we have used the small, portable, antennae that plugs in to try voice and text. It worked very well here.

This is the small one that came in the kit and plugs into the back of the phone. It is meant to be used on the roof of an auto - with the car providing the ground plane - but seemed to work fine on the boat just plugged in.

I have a friend up here (CF member wrwakefield) that has a 9575 and has written about his choices and installation pretty extensively in his blog, which may give you more info. The link is below:

Denali Rose: Satellite Communications [Updated Apr-2018]
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 04:12   #6

Boat: CS36T

I used an Iridium GO! on my fibreglass boat for 3 months in the Caribbean this year. It worked fine with no external antenna - just the bare transceiver with built-in antenna.
fguptill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 01:00   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Can't help you with what's around in the UK but for interests sake, here is some Aussie antennas that work well GPS, Satellite & Iridium Antennas | Rojone Pty Ltd – Australia

I've use a few of these and they perform very well but probably overkill for your use (and expensive) https://www.aircraftspruce.eu/avioni...ci-490-1-.html

I note you referenced an antenna from Farnell / element 14, the products they stock are usually pretty good, IME.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 04:35   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

Buy the Iridium Go antenna. My signal went from 3 bars dropping out to a solid 5 bars 95% of the time. It works.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31   #9

I'm looking at purchasing a 50ft Sunreef and would like to know which Iridium system should I look at?

I was looking at the GO.

I plan to sail her from Poland to South Africa.

Any advice?
spiritofplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:07   #10

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I used Go! For the first time NZ to Fiji last year, just the built-in flip-up antenna. Never had one occasion in 5 months that I couldn’t get what I needed. I’ve never considered an external antenna.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:04   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We've now stored away the external iridium antenna and use the units exclusively too. There has never been a time that we have lost signal with the internal units antenna. This is in the Caribbean, across the Atlantic and up to the Arctic Circle in Norway.... It's worked everywhere without a hiccup.

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I used Go! For the first time NZ to Fiji last year, just the built-in flip-up antenna. Never had one occasion in 5 months that I couldn’t get what I needed. I’ve never considered an external antenna.

Tags
antenna, iridium