Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 20:05   #1

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Altex roll & tip paint

Hi ,
Im at the point where I will soon have to paint my hull above & below the water. The build up of anti foul is getting a bit thick & rough. I might as well do the topsides at the same time to get a nice clean edge at the waterline. Has anyone used Altex paints from NZ they have a very good instruction video on a H28 on Utube. Im heading towards roll & tip rather than spray so i can DIY with less equipment & mess . No overspray , wrapping etc required. I see that Altex have distributers here in Australia but would love to hear from someone who has used there special two pac for R& T apparently it has a flow component that fills out the brush tip marks as it cures.
MikeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1473044691.048707.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	130646

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 21:59   #2

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: Altex roll & tip paint

Yep,I have used Altex paint. Not sure if it was special R+T tho. Seems to do the job nicely.Sticks well to bare epoxy without an undercoat.Prep is everything tho. I rolled and tipped my boat.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 22:16   #3

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46

Thanks Salticrack hmmmmm havent we all been there
Did you do yours in a shed or out side. Looking at having to drop my masts to put in a shed . Might be easier to build a plastic tent.
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 00:20   #4

I think it's a special thinners for brushing, rather than a special paint. Altex is very good stuff.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I rolled Interlux Perfection (2 part polyurethane) on a skiff I built.

Using Russell Brown's technique, no tipping required, and it looks like it was sprayed. Of course, this was done indoors.

Instruction on rolling paint without tipping for spray like results...
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 14:16   #6

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
Thanks Salticrack hmmmmm havent we all been there
Did you do yours in a shed or out side. Looking at having to drop my masts to put in a shed . Might be easier to build a plastic tent.
Mike
Mike, I painted mine outside. I waited for the morning dew to burn off and went for it. The finish looks sprayed imho.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 14:20   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35

Hi Mike,
I just finished paimting the decks and cabin top using Carboline Isotar single pot enamel.it is an Altex line,often used commerciallly. Superior flow when rolling.I finish with "floating" the roller (no downward force applied) over the freshly painted section. Result is an exceptional smooth surface, no streaks,no bubbles.
The roller I used was a dense foam 5' inch one.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum[/QUOTE]
latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 14:27   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I think it's a special thinners for brushing, rather than a special paint. Altex is very good stuff.

I always use Bunning all purpose thinners (on special for $18 4 ltrs) and it works perfectly with any paint brands I have used over the years.
Lift your eyebrows if you want!
latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 00:30   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I used Altex Elite two pot lpu on our decks and cabin, rolled and tipped. I found it difficult to use as an amateur. In particular, i found that the thinners flashed off from the paint in the roller tray, especially if it was warm and a bit breezy, and then the flow characteristics changed rapidly. The result was excellent in some places, ok in others, and kinda agricultural in a few. This was done afloat, but in a protected marina. I was not terribly happy with the outcome.

Jim
Old 06-09-2016, 01:32   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One other painting options is to use Imron. The automotive cousin of LP. It's slightly less durable, but a bit cheaper as of last check, & it has lots of other good qualities. A key one being that there are lots of guys around who spray cars, & who are quite good. To include knowing "the spell(s)" for getting a great finish, even under variable climactic conditions.
Though the flipside is that most boats are a good deal bigger than cars, which can complicate things. But it's an option worth looking into.
I had it done this way, ages ago, using Imron up in the PNW. For a lot less than LP would have run. And had nary a complaint.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:29   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Moody Mike,

This is just a comment, not trying to get you to change your plan at all. What Jim wrote about his experience is pretty much as I understand it, but with the addition that while he was doing it, it was extremely difficult to control the consistency of the paint, therefore quite frustrating.

He did the job after we had had the hull topsides professionally sprayed--with automotive LPU. It has held its gloss much better than marine LPU.

Ann
Old 06-09-2016, 14:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by latka View Post
I always use Bunning all purpose thinners (on special for $18 4 ltrs) and it works perfectly with any paint brands I have used over the years.
Lift your eyebrows if you want!
I'll have to try it on a sample of 2 pack polyurethane. If it works, it's a lot cheaper than the "proper" thinners.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:40   #13

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Altex roll & tip paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I rolled Interlux Perfection (2 part polyurethane) on a skiff I built.

Using Russell Brown's technique, no tipping required, and it looks like it was sprayed. Of course, this was done indoors.

Instruction on rolling paint without tipping for spray like results...

Thank you for that link. Before I go and spend what is, I concede, a reasonably trivial amount of money can you tell me if Russell's technique can be used outdoors? Putting our boat in a shed to paint it is not really an option.

Old 06-09-2016, 17:36   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GILow,

As long as there are products like PolyGlow and TSRW, which do a great, if temporary, job of gelcoat renewal, imho, going down the fragile paint road sets you up for a new paint job every 10 yrs. or so, unless you have accidental encounters with hard objects, in which case, it will be a shorter period of time. It will make you more fearful of such encounters, as well. It will cost on the order of 15k aud, for one paint job, unless self done. Way, way cheaper and easier to renew the gelcoat with the Poly Glow, and one just does it at haulout time while paint is drying, it is not arduous work. If you harbor desires to go offshore to exotic locations, paint the boat when you get back, only, and then, only if you've decided it's absolutely necessary. Painting it will force any future owner to continue that regime. It may not improve the boat's appearance for long, at all.

All our previous boats were gelcoat, and we used the Poly Glow with satisfactory [to us] results.

Ann
Old 06-09-2016, 19:05   #15

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thank you for that link. Before I go and spend what is, I concede, a reasonably trivial amount of money can you tell me if Russell's technique can be used outdoors? Putting our boat in a shed to paint it is not really an option.

I don't know what to expect there, with wind and the possibility of dust, bugs, etc. But I don't see where it would be different than any other outdoor application.

Might help if you hung tarps or sheet plastic around and a couple of feet away from the boat.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint