Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 18:51   #1

Boat: Hunter, 33.5
bottom paint selection for the tropics

I am currently in Florida & plan to cruise Florida & the tropics...and for me & many other boaters the season is now approaching to where boaters everywhere are going to haul out & paint their boat bottom...and here in lies the dilemma "what is the best paint to use to paint the boat bottom"?

There's certainly a lot of paint to choose from A to Z...!

I personally am thinking seriously about using Copper Coat for at least 2 reasons:
1-will better keep my bottom clean...
2-lasts 10 years or more, which means no costly haul out fees every 2-3 years...

But what is the consensus from those in this Cruiser's Forum, in particular, any comments on using copper coat?

Thank you for your assistance..., Rob
bluetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 20:58   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: bottom paint selection for the tropics

I have read multiple reviews of Copper Coat and the official blurb. The does not seem to be a consensus, some folks really like it and others say it does not live up to the ads.

My guess is it probably works well if the instructions on applying it are followed. The theory is that copper particles are suspended in epoxy (a special water soluble epoxy) and as the copper oxidizes it acts to deter marine growth. To make sure the copper is properly suspended it is important to completely mix the copper particles using an electric drill and then quickly apply the paint, often described as a two man job with one person mixing with the drill as a second person painting. If the mixing is not done correctly all the particles will sink to the bottom of the paint reducing the effectiveness of the paint. After the paint has dried the top layer of the epoxy has to be sanded off to expose the copper so it will oxidize. Too little sanding and the copper can not oxidize so there is no anti fouling. Too much sanding and much of the copper is sanded away.

Copper Coat also claims that the anti fouling is more effective as time goes by as more of the copper is exposed from natural abrasion and increased oxidization of the copper.

When the Copper Coat is first applied it has a pinkish copper color, but as oxidization occurs it turns more of a dark green color exposed copper gets. One tip is to keep your boat on the hard a while after it is applied and sanded and if the color does not start getting green you may need to sand a little more.

While this all sounds good in theory the bottom line for me is in practice it could be a little tricky to correctly mix, apply, and sand Copper Coat.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint