Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 21:20   #1

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Paint Question

I am refitting a 24' trailer sailor. Boat was solid white with off white nonskid. This is my first sailboat, so my first refit. I have repainted the deck white and have done the cockpit nonskid in battleship gray. Transom has been painted navy blue.

My question is how much difference in temperature does paint color make? I know white reflects and black absorbs. However, to the touch, there seems to be a considerable difference in temperature between white and gray and blue and white on the boat. Living in AZ, heat is an issue. Will the blue and gray turn the cabin into an oven more so than a lighter color? In regard to the deck, will the gray be a frying pan compared to an off white? Any help would be great.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 21:32   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Paint Question

Definitely, the darker the color, the more frying-pan effect and the oven- like interior. In the interior, insulation will tend to help, but why fight the laws of physics? Use light paint color, good sunglasses and skin protection, maybe sunshade over the cockpit.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 21:44   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Even light grey is hot. As in too hot to walk on in barefeet with the sun overhead. Best colours that aren't white are beige/cream and maybe a light blue as well.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:59   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35

The non-skid on our Wildcat is light grey. Currently in Florida and we can't walk on the deck barefoot after 10am.
It also raises the interior temperature.
We are repainting all the non-skid in white this month.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:43   #5

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

It is just amazing how a light gray can be hotter than a white or light cream. A wavelength expert could probably explain it, I guess.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:37   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Even light grey is hot. As in too hot to walk on in barefeet with the sun overhead. Best colours that aren't white are beige/cream and maybe a light blue as well.
I had some left over paint, light grey, and decided to put another coat on my cockpit sole over the winter.

Now, it's too hot at times and you have to put on flip flops or something. I may have to repaint white soon.......
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:41   #7

Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses. You have confirm my fears. I was hoping that the color would not make that big of difference. I guess its back to the paint store (online of course in AZ) and sanding. White and off-white it is.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:15   #8

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

You wimps just need to toughen up those feet! (Just kidding!). My father knew a guy who burned his feet on hot pavement in southern California, got gangrene and lost both feet.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 15:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
You wimps just need to toughen up those feet! (Just kidding!). My father knew a guy who burned his feet on hot pavement in southern California, got gangrene and lost both feet.

White it is.
Old 06-07-2016, 15:42   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Not too bright a white. It'll be cool to walk on but will blind you in bright sunshine.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint