Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2019, 12:42   #1

how to inflate AB dinghy

I just received my first inflatable it's a 8' AB ribbed. it has damage to the front air camber the port & star tubes are holding air fine.

currently vessel is completed deflated to fit inside my SUV Saab97x

my plan is to patch the 1/2" hole in front camber then attempt to re inflate. then use as a dinghy.

?1.cruised by the local tire store and got a small patch it's 1 1/2" in diameter will this be enough of a patch?

?2. if tire store patch won't work can I smear west sys.s G2 over the edge of patch and expect it to hold air?

?3.is there a special type adaptor I can connect to my car tire inflator to re inflate the tubes?

any tips on restoring the vessel is appreciated.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:51   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: how to inflate AB dinghy

I use BIG patches and two component glues for any inflatable repairs that I want to last years rather than hours.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 13:11   #3

are you saying my patch is to small?

I'm wanting the dinghy as a life raft so I expect a permanent repair.

thanks for advice
Old 17-09-2019, 13:21   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
how to inflate AB dinghy

Your patch is too small and the wrong material, and the wrong glue.
Assuming it’s a Hypalon boat. Defender and other places will have complete patch kits, color matched patches usually come with a new dinghy but aren’t hard to find.

There are adapters, but a pump is better, 3 PSI is max inflation and apparently you want to run one pumped up high, under inflated apparently causes damage.
They really aren’t a good life raft, but if your boat is sinking I guess anything that floats is better than nothing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 13:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your patch is too small and the wrong material, and the wrong glue.
Assuming it’s a Hypalon boat. Defender and other places will have complete patch kits, color matched patches usually come with a new dinghy but aren’t hard to find.

There are adapters, but a pump is better, 3 PSI is max inflation and apparently you want to run one pumped up high, under inflated apparently causes damage.
They really aren’t a good life raft, but if your boat is sinking I guess anything that floats is better than nothing.
please recommend pump and adaptor for the AB I don't mind pumping manually but would prefer to use my car tire compressor that plugs into the 12V DC socket of the car.
Old 17-09-2019, 13:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe you should look on Defender or other places that sell marine goods that you currently deal with.
I believe a good foot pump like one that is used to inflate camping air mattress to be a good cost effective solution.
I don’t like electrics myself as salt water and electric motors and pumps don’t mix well, and they are usually high pressure, low volume pumps, and a dinghy is a huge volume, but 3 PSI max.

People have used every conceivable glue there is fixing dinghy leaks, many are successful, many seem to be but fail later. I’d recommend determining if you have a hypalon boat or PVC, then making sure you get the right kind of glue and patch, may as well get a pump at the same place.
Most manual pumps are pure plastic with no steel and don’t rust. Electric pumps not so much.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 16:18   #7

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
please recommend pump and adaptor for the AB I don't mind pumping manually but would prefer to use my car tire compressor that plugs into the 12V DC socket of the car.
If the 12vdc pump is actually designed for tires, it will be high pressure, low volume and most likely will stop pumping long before your rib starts to take any shape. Most are thin cast aluminum piston without rings or lubrication(aside from initial drop of grease during assembly). The piston is usually driven by a plastic gear and high rev dc motor, none of the parts are designed to withstand the heat of more than 5-10 minutes of use at a time.
A very few are designed with overheat protection and will just shut of (usually when combined with jump starter, etc $$$) but most will just self destruct.

If you really want the 12vdc, find a high volume low pressure pump.

A quick internet search revealed that Coleman makes a 12vdc pump that should suffice. For twice the money they have a 12vdc/240vac rechargeable. Don't know how well either will hold up, but I'm sure once you start looking you will find many options.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 16:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

AB dinghies are made of Hypalon. The repair kits are readily available.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 17:16   #9

Boat: Hylas 54

A pump like this work very well.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 18:34   #10

It is possible to heat weld it too, if the material is PCV.

I have seen a service man sliding a thick alloy foil into a ripped tube then using something that looked like a soldering iron.

A heat welded patch holds forever. But you can only get it done at places that do heat welding pcv jobs. Google if there is any in your area and ask then if they can fix it. Just tell them in advance it is a closed tube.

When I glue patches I make them big. Easily 2 inches overlap each way from the edge of the rip. (Unless something limits my fancy)

b.
Old 18-09-2019, 05:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is possible to heat weld it too, if the material is PCV.

I have seen a service man sliding a thick alloy foil into a ripped tube then using something that looked like a soldering iron.

A heat welded patch holds forever. But you can only get it done at places that do heat welding pcv jobs. Google if there is any in your area and ask then if they can fix it. Just tell them in advance it is a closed tube.

When I glue patches I make them big. Easily 2 inches overlap each way from the edge of the rip. (Unless something limits my fancy)

b.

But, AB dinghies are not PVC, they are Hypalon!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 07:53   #12

No welding then!

I did not know all are CSM but looked up their website and indeed it is so!

Good stuff.

b.
Old 18-09-2019, 08:18   #13

is this a decent pump? and can I connect to my air valve
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...5875&id=771656

here a image of the hole right at my middle finger. this dinghy is fadded from direct sun the grey finsh is dustie if I apply a bit of force the outerrubberiy finish separates into a bunch of small bugues
I will still attempt a patch.
how about this https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gea...dCatid=3054794
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	200080  
Attached Images

Old 18-09-2019, 08:41   #14
Marine Service Provider

I use a yard blower to inflate inflatables. It doesn't need a tight fit, in fact that's better because it will prevent over-inflation which can happen with a direct connection to a compressor designed for tires. The volume of from a blower at relative low pressure will fill a 10 footer in seconds.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 09:13   #15

OK thanks I check into blowers

I'm confused on how the pumps hose attaches to the air valve I'm thinking it is similar to the valve lid how it is pressed in then twisted to stay in place.

I tried to tape a garden hose to the valve no luck on inflating by blowing into hose.

curious w/ a basic foot pump how long doe's it take to inflate all 3 chambers?

Tags
dinghy