Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 19:02   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Craribe dinghy water leak

I have a dinghy leak that I need assistance trouble shooting. The dinghy is a model L10 purchased in December 2018.

This model Caribe does not have the more traditional double bottom. The leak showed up when I pulled it out of the water using it's bow fitting. When it was in a vertical position water ran out of the top the transom for more than 5 minutes where there is joint. The water was clear and appeared to be freshwater (there was no odor).

There is no fitting to drain water from between the fiberglass layers like there would be in a double hull model.

I am fairly sure the transom has a wood core. I doubt the joint is the source of all this water though it most have contributed to it.

Has anyone else had this type of leak? If so what was it's source?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy leak.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	199515  
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 09:22   #2

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: Craribe dinghy water leak

Based on my personal experience with the Double hull C12 that comes with with a drain plug on the transom, I can see that there is no core inside the transom and between the two hulls. In my case, the water between hulls seems to enter from inside the dingy somewhere in the joint cockpit between the inflatable tubes and the Grp hull.
You can maybe installed a drain plug in the lower part of the transom to drain the water from time to time. I will also suggest to open the de laminated joint with a Dremel tool , and filling the gap with thickened epoxy after you let it air dried
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 09:58   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Craribe dinghy water leak

Thanks. I’ve been thinking about a drain hole. The space between hulls has got to be very small which won’t leave much room for error.

We are in the process of winterizing our boat now. Leaving water between hulls is something I want to do.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, rib, water