Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 14:30   #1

Kayak vs. Dinghy

Looking for some way to get to shore from my Ericson 32 while out on the Puget Sound this summer. I Borrowed a 10' Dinghy last year a couple times, and found it annoying that it either had to be towed or carried on the bow. I was considering investing in a 2 person sit on top kayak as that may be able to be stored on the side of the boat, not interfering with jib lines, and still providing access to the bow.

Has anyone used a sit on top kayak for this purpose? What are things I may not be considering? I usually only sail with 2-4 people aboard, so it would require a few trips to get everyone to and from.
amontyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 14:49   #2

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Kayak vs. Dinghy

Sit on top kayaks are wet. You are always sitting in water. Fine for going to the beach, but not to go ashore for dinner etc. And a kayak is nowhere near as stable as an inflatable dinghy.
Old 07-06-2018, 15:01   #3

Boat: Pearson 10M

Getting out of and into a Kayak from a boat is not at all easy. I have very good balance and it is challenging. I do often use a yak for a quick trip out to the mooring, but I know I will get wet one day.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 15:06   #4

Boat: Leopard 39

It really depends on how wet you want to get between your vessel and shore. If you're planning on wearing anything more than a bathing suit and tee shirt, a dinghy's the way to go.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 15:06   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I'm a huge kayak advocate, but mostly for singlehanders. I'm not sure that would work for you. Rent one and see how you like it.

The Walker Bay Aris Sport is a high pressure inflatable I'm quite fond of. 15 pounds and paddles well.

Old 07-06-2018, 15:09   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

I think it depends on your cruising style. We've got an inflatable coupled with two inflatable sups. The sups are great fair wx dinghies but I wouldn't also be without the workhorse. The sups or kayak would he Amin to a bike while the dinghy is like a car. It's all a bit of a pita on a small boat, but we just tow the dinghy when not offshore and it's not that bad. Ymmv
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 15:49   #7

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I haven't inflated my dinghy since I got my sit on top kayak over a year ago. As others have said they are wet. I'm in Mexico so water temp isn't a factor. I live in board shorts.

No problems getting in from the boat or from the water, it's the smallest one I could find that offered stand up stability.

If I can find a two person inflatable kayak (in case of guests on board) I'll probably be getting rid of my dinghy, outboard and gasoline jerry can.

I only draw 4 feet and have just a couple feet of freeboard so I'm usually in close to shore when anchored and will sometimes just swim to shore. If you go this route, get one with hatches that you can carry stuff in. I've got a spare paddle and can carry a weeks supply of food and beer inside the yak with lots of room left over on the back deck. Perfect for fishing out of as well.

Many scars in the hull from oysters and barnacles that would have destroyed an inflatable.

Not for everybody but works for me.

This is the one I've got. I opted for the fish and dive package.

https://malibukayaks.com/kayaks/mini-x/
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 16:03   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Your dinghy is your pickup truck. In it, you try to transport items you want to have dry when you get to your boat, and that's sort of everything. In places where travelling yachties are disliked, others may "wake" you. Best to have a "raincoat" for your laundry, and other dry goods..

If you only go marina to marina, and all transport is done by land before disembarking, then there's nothing wrong with giving a kayak a try, if it is warm enough usually where you are, for you to swim. A kayak can be a lovely item to explore from, but it really depends on what your cruising grounds are like.

Ann
Old 07-06-2018, 16:12   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Your dinghy is your pickup truck. In it, you try to transport items you want to have dry when you get to your boat, and that's sort of everything. In places where travelling yachties are disliked, others may "wake" you. Best to have a "raincoat" for your laundry, and other dry goods..

If you only go marina to marina, and all transport is done by land before disembarking, then there's nothing wrong with giving a kayak a try, if it is warm enough usually where you are, for you to swim. A kayak can be a lovely item to explore from, but it really depends on what your cruising grounds are like.

Ann

Ironically, kayaks come from Greenland, for use in the ocean.I think it may be more accurate to say "it depends on the paddler."
Old 07-06-2018, 16:47   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Ironically, kayaks come from Greenland, for use in the ocean.I think it may be more accurate to say "it depends on the paddler."
...and the yak...big diff in a sit on top or inflatable and a proper sea kayak.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 22:51   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Having been there, done that, I definitely do not recommend a sit-on-top kayak for what you are describing. They are a lot of weight and hassle for not much boat. And strapping one on, presumably out of the way? On a 50 or 60' boat maybe. And then the banging against the hull, don't get me started. The only advantage a plastic kayak has over a good inflatable is that kids can drag them over barnacle encrusted rocks multiple times with impunity. My large inflatable kayak can hold the whole family, has an inflatable but pretty rigid floor so it goes pretty fast, will hold a lot of stuff (850lbs worth) without losing it, you can stand up in it (VERY handy for when you are getting back on board,) is a lot drier than the sitontop, rolls up into a very manageable lump, can bang against the boat without penalty, and makes a great all around platform to lounge around on, or sleep on, or fish from...
... ok I guess I have made my point...
If you want a dinghy with an out board, then get one with a transom, definitely, but if you plan on rowing only, try (paddling) one of these first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4830.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	171267  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:41   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ramform Hyperion

I personally like my sit on top kayak (tarpon 120). I have never had a canoe though to know the differences. My kayak is easy to transport and paddle............ and very comfortable and stable. I have paddled as far as about 7 miles in one outing with no problems. But I guess it's all personal choice. I think you probably need to just try some out.
Loraif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:56   #13

Boat: Trintella 1 & 28ft

What brand and type is that? Is it a hard inflatable?

I'm looking for something for my 28ft boat I can store folded and can carry 3 persons without an engine.

And I assume a kajak/kano is a lot easier to peddle to a proper speed then a regular dingy.
ccgarnaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:18   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Kayaks were invented by Eskimos. But didn’t you hear about the Eskimo who got so cold while paddling he decided to light a fire for warmth. Of course the kayak burned and sank, thus proving ...you can’t have your kayak and heat it too.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 18:51   #15

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Personally I do not like inflatables because they're so easy to damage so easy to steal and very expensive but if you're willing to deal with that this may fit the bill for you. rigid inflatable canoe comes with a 12v pump inflates in seconds. I was just reading the comments and I guess they go for $ 2,500, ouch Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180706-214814.png
Views:	435
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	173181
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, Kayak