Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 14:53   #1

hunter skycatcher

Hi There

I have just bought skycatcher, as a fixer upper, she,s a hunter 48 from the 80,s

She sailed around a bit and won some stuff back in the day, lately been laid up in Devon.I,m wondering wether to use as is or find a way to shorten the keel and rig and use like that, I,ll only be pottering around europe and med until I learn her, and I haven't sailed for years, any advise on keel shortening ,lengthening welcome, e.g. whats the weight to height ratio and if I shorten it can I just increase the weight, oh yeah ,she,s got water ballast too, keep that or not?

I,m not planning to race her and I,m not precious about her, I love her pedigree, you can feel it on her, just like to enjoy her company for a bit. I would like to get most places I want to.

thanks
skywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 15:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: hunter skycatcher

Welcome Aboard CF!

New boat? Post some photos!

How to post a photo or multiple photos on CF threads:

I encourage everyone to post photos in CF because everyone enjoys seeing photos of boats and photos of gear helps to clarify communications about problems and helps others help one another with answers that fit questions. When you post a comment, you can use the "Post Reply / Advanced / Manage Attachments" function to add up to 12 photos to your post. It first allows 6 photos, but if you upload six first, you can then add another 6 for a total of 12, if you want.

You can find a very easy to follow video instruction about how to post photos on CF by going to the FAQ here or look on YouTube for a very clear video that shows how to do it. It is easy, but not intuitive. The video is a big help. Here is a link to the video.
https://youtu.be/NW5n8vZM34c

Watch and it is very easy to do. You can also post other types of content (videos, etc.) and photo files of many kinds.

Speedy Tip 1:
I usually post a jpg photo file that is about 1200x800 pixels, because that is what I consider a nice large size for web viewing. Most files can be downsized to about 100kb - 400kb or some larger. If my original photo file is high resolution (like a photo I take with my iPad), I prefer to first use some software (an app) to downsize the image file so that it is smaller and faster to upload. Since I use my iPad for most of my web surfing and CF surfing too, I use a free app called "Image Size" (by www.vsmedia.de) which is very easy, fast, and has multiple options. It does have some ads in the free version, but $1.99 removes the ads. I have no connection to that app other than being a happy user. It works for me and is intuitive and flexible.

Speedy Tip 2:
If you think you might refer to that photo in the future (e.g. Photos of your own boat or boat projects or gear), you could also upload it to your CF Profile and start a photo album there to contain your boat photos.

Old 27-02-2017, 12:30   #3

Re: hunter skycatcher

Hi,

I'm very familiar with Sky Catcher. I came very close to buying here last year. I'd be happy to discuss the boat with you by e-mail if you like. As well as the plans I had in mind to convert her to a performance cruiser.

Cheers,
Nick
nixyot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter