Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 10:23   #1

Boat: 1975 Isander 28
re-install spade rudder in the water

I need to re-install a new rudder for my 1975 Islander 28, in the water. New rudder arrives soon, any advice on how to re-install? I have a diver friend ready to go.

There is a grease nipple 1/2 way down the glassed rudder shaft hole, any advise on type and amount of grease?
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 14:40   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: re-install spade rudder in the water

As a general rule if there isn't a grease fitting you don't need to grease it but since you have a zero I would just use a goodly few pumps of a marine grease. For some reason something with an ngli rating of 2 or 3 comes to mind, but I'm not sure why ( the bigger the number the thicker the grease is if I remember correctly 2 is something similar to a peanut butter and 3 is closer to a lard in consistency, if it were me I would go with a ngli3)
But it has been a long time since I was well versed in grease and the use there of... I'm sure someone here will be far more knowledgeable than myself in the matter, so here's to hoping they chime in for you.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 15:32   #3

Boat: no boat any more

removed & installed a few spaderudders on Feeling 446 in the 90ies: rudders with aluminium shafts had to be pushed out with force & surfaced violently. reinstalling we weighed them down with an anchor fixed with belts & then pulled the shaft up with a line (they had a thread cut into their top end to fix the emergency tiller that we used to fix the line). then the yard changed to rudders with stainless shafts
& they were not buoyant any more which made the whole operation much easier.was no big thing for us as far as I cab remember. you'd want a quiet moment in the marina though & a few rudders got nicks in them when they surfaced violently under the jetty after being pushed out
Old 08-11-2018, 19:52   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Some rudders are buoyant, some are not. It would be a really good idea for you to find out which yours is before attempting the installation. A "float test" in shallow water would be a good thing to do!

If it is a sinker, then feeding a line down through the bearings and attaching it to the post would simplify the diver's job: he guides it into alignment, you pull it up. If it is a floater, then the task of getting it aligned with the bearings is more difficult, but once aligned, it will be easy to get it all the way up.

Good luck!

Jim

Tags
rudder, water