Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 04:15   #1

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
LOFRAN Tigre anchor winch issue

Hi

I have a LOFRANS TIGRE 12v 1500W anchor winch. The winch is one season old and has had little use. Recently, when paying out, the winch "stalls" (for want of a better description) and a clicking noise can be heard. Switching to "retrieve" and then going back to "pay out" can fix the problem but it can occur a few seconds later.

Any thoughts anyone?

Kind regards,

Bob
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:00   #2

Re: LOFRAN Tigre anchor winch issue

The clicking occurs when the windlass can't raise the chain out of the locker (it doesn't pull nearly as hard in that direction). Probably the chain is stuck somehow. You need to look in the locker and see what the chain is doing to determine what the problem is.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:26   #3

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I think I just learnt something thank you JayH . Is that a feature on all windlases
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
The clicking occurs when the windlass can't raise the chain out of the locker (it doesn't pull nearly as hard in that direction). Probably the chain is stuck somehow. You need to look in the locker and see what the chain is doing to determine what the problem is.
That was my first thought but even with the chain off the capstan this is occuring. The chain locker has more than the 1ft / 300mm clear height required and i can lift the chain with a couple of fingers
Old 09-09-2018, 09:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
That was my first thought but even with the chain off the capstan this is occuring. The chain locker has more than the 1ft / 300mm clear height required and i can lift the chain with a couple of fingers
There is a stripper that sits on the deck under the capstan/gypsy and separates the chain when you are retrieving the anchor. Maybe it has moved and is jamming the gypsy.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

I might think that it is the soleniod (relay) chattering. Check for all the high and low amp connections. Might be a corroded connection.

this chattering and clicking is a common thing when voltage is low, either from a low battery or bad connection.

Rich
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:20   #7

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II 12m bermudia rig pilothouse

Hi mine does the same when paying out chain as my chain has to run about 6 feet through a hawser from the chain locker to the windlass, however it is not really an issue as the weight of the anchor ensures their is enough pull on the chain to so it does not occur until the anchor hits the bottom, and then in shallow water I have to wait until the boat moves and the anchor drags before I can pay out more chain. So it sort of ensures I dont create a pile of chain on the seabed.
I did email Lofran about it but received no reply. If you look at the assembly drawing for the windlass you wil see there is a spring loaded cog where the teeth engage at 90 degs in one direction but 45 deg in the opposite, this allows the cog to ride up the shaft against the spring if to much torque is applied in the direction of the 45 deg angle on the teeth. I originally hoped their was an option of a stronger spring.
Hope this helps.

Dave
davefrediam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:31   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The chain can get kinked while paying out and jam on the underside of the opening. It is a good way to break something. Your windlass has a clutch feature. Find the handle that came with it and use it to loosen the star shaped clutch tensioner so that the anchor can free fall. (requires going to the bow). This exercise will also allow you to see if it is jamming because of a kink or if it is something else. You will also learn how to deploy your anchor without power to the windlass or in the case of a malfunction.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:55   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Sounds like a loose or bad connection to your activating solenoid. That clicking is the solenoid engaging and releasing.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 16:04   #10

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Sometimes the chain twists a bit when retrieving when you let out over 50 metres and it won't feed back easily when deploying again. Just shake the chain every 2 metres or so in the locker as it feeds out to stop the gypsy jamming with a coiled up chain?

Stop the windlass when you do this and have a swivel on the chain to hull attachment.
Old 10-09-2018, 16:09   #11

Sounds like the solenoid to me.
Now the question is: is it corroded or dirty contacts in the switch or in the solenoid?
What type of switching mechanism? Is the mechanism ( hand held or foot switch etc) exposed to dampness? like it sits in a wet locker or etc?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 07:40   #12

Thanks for all the replies and info. With further examination I noticed that the chain was not jamming in the hawse hole and stalling the winch but every now and again the winch was trying to lift a "lump" of chain and that appeared to be causing the problem (to stop the chain piling up under the hawse hole we rake it forward by hand every now and again and this creates the "lumps"). I tried flaking the chain as it came in and, happily, that seems to have removed 99% of the problem. It seems my experience was not too different to that had by others.
Old 15-09-2018, 09:41   #13

Boat: Dean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
Hi

I have a LOFRANS TIGRE 12v 1500W anchor winch. The winch is one season old and has had little use. Recently, when paying out, the winch "stalls" (for want of a better description) and a clicking noise can be heard. Switching to "retrieve" and then going back to "pay out" can fix the problem but it can occur a few seconds later.

Any thoughts anyone?

Kind regards,

Bob
Be sure you have the right size chain. A chain may look right but links not long enough or undersize will jump.
CaroleAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, winch