Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 18:15   #1

Seeking advice. Buying first sailboat

Hello together,

I'm new to this forum but I used it a lot the last two months for research so I will just start with an introduction. My name is Manuel, 26 yo and I left my home in Germany a year ago for travelling. During the last year I crewed on different sailboats over the atlantic to Panama and from colombia to Panama. All that brought me to my current situation. I'm on the US West coast and spend my last two months in the SF bay to look for the right boat to buy to sail the South pacific next season. Sadly the right boat didnt show up but I must say my budget is rather low. $8k I plan to spend for a boat. Possible, but hard to find. Additional Problem: my visa runs out on the 15th of Nov.

I'm sadly down to 3 possible boats by now and barely two weeks so I'm asking here if somebody has an advice for me. Looking for a boat in the US is rather easy with new boats popping up on craigslist every day but I havn't got lucky. Most of the boats so far were sitting for long time and the owners didn't have much information on it. I can't really estimate how easy it is to look for boats down in Mexico. Craigslist doesn't work. Anyone expierence on that?

My options right now:

An albin vega 27 here in San Diego for $7-8k .Outboard, big sail inventory (8). Good rigging. And crossed the atlantic 3 times long time ago. Big plus here I would be still in the US with access to cheap used parts. The 5'10 headroom is sadly a pain for a 6'3 guy.

A rawson 30 in la paz for $11.5k. Over my budget but fully equipped for passages. Windvane included. Already in Mexico though. Listed with a broker. Is there often room for negotiations on these deals to bring it down a
lot?

An islander 29 (Wayfarer 29) for $3-3.5k down in La paz. This boat has been actively sailed through the summer including the way down to Mexico. Outboard and very basic. Dirt cheap which leaves room for work to be done. With one set of sails and not much infos on sails and rigging from the owner it is a big questionmark, though.

The reason im asking for advice is mainly because I cant estimate the trouble that can lay ahead of me whichever boat I chose if I dont buy in the US. Considering the fact that two of them are in Mexico I'm worried about the access to parts. A windvane, epirp, bow roller (which is missing on the islander) and all the things I don't think of yet and will only find out after I bought one.

I'm happy about any comment!
ManuA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 20:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Seeking advice. Buying first sailboat

Howdy Manuel! Welcome Aboard CF!

What follow is written in a friendly tone of voice and my sole intent is to help you.
Remember that because I must be brief due to lack of time.

Go to http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...147098-17.html

Look at post #247. I just posted that a couple of days ago. It may still be available for sale.
It is a larger boat, but fits your budget (with $4k left for refit). It is a nice looking boat from what I see in the photos. The boat is on the NORTHEAST (Long Island area as I recall, but check that.). The key point is the owner is facing a TIME problem like you are and wants to sell before he leaves the country.

It would mean starting your journey on the USA East Coast, but that is not bad, as there are lots of places you could go.

Given YOUR size, I would look for a boat this size. Then find someone to join you on your voyage. It will be easier if you have a boat that size, rather than a small old one.
But, as most will tell you, a larger boat can also bring some higher costs too. Compromises.

Good luck on your future!

Another source for low cost "for sale by owner" (FSBO) boats is a site called "Sailboatlistings.com".

But, usually the lowest priced (and perhaps worst condition) boats are on Craig's Lists.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 20:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CORRECTION: the Morgan 35 I linked above is in NEW JERSEY, (I think) not on Long Island as I thought. You will need to check the location to be sure, sometimes boats are listed in Craigs Lists but located in another city or state.

Something a tall sailor should know about the Morgan 35 (1970)

"The 6'3" main cabin height leads you to the forward cabin & V-berth where there is 6'2" headroom just prior to jumping into the large V-berth."

Here is a listing for same model but asking price is $10K

https://www.popyachts.com/cruising-b...virginia-95413
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:50   #4

Thanks for the input. Looks like a solid boat. I'm sadly out of time in the US. My visa runs out in two weeks and if I think of the puddle jump New jersey is quite far away, too. I guess I'm bound to the Pacific coast.
ManuA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 22:26   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

ManuA,

If possible, get a visa extension. Find out if you could get a new one from Mexico.

There are buses from Mexico to Tijuana, and one can walk across the border and take the train into SD for shopping, if you have the visa. Otherwise, go to Mexico and find the best boat you can, and bargain tough but fair. Knew some folks with a Rawson 30 yrs. ago. Getting a boat that already has a working windvane would be good.

Your budget is small for what you want to do, but from the US, you can buy previously owned sails, and of course, the smaller the boat you get, the less rigging, hardware, and sails cost.

Good luck with your project.

Ann
Old 03-11-2016, 23:49   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd heed what Ann T. Cate already said. Especially as there are a lot of US boats in Ensenada, which is just over an hour south of the border. So, very close to San Diego. Plus, of course, lots of boats futher south, with a fair bit of maritime infrastructure to support them. Including Downwind Marine in San Diego often coordinating the transport of gear to boats heading south, or already far down the coast in Mexico. In addition to their helping to outfit boats, & selling lots of gear in their store.

Check out Latitude 38 for lots of info on this kind of thing, & especially their info on the Baha, Ha ha. A rally for cruisers, which should have just officially left from San Diego. And Latitude 38's 1st Timer's Guide to Mexico which has lots of good info on W. Coast (US, & Mexico) sailing, prep, gear... It's free to download, as is the magazine --> www.Latitude38.com

Since you're doing this on the cheap, keep the boat & her systems simple. A good; rig, sails, rudder, self-steering, ground tackle, dink, & engine (for the mother ship, row the dink). From there, get the basics of old school nav gear, plus a few GPS's. And after that, everything is a luxury, literally. With much of the modern "conveniences" actually owning people, instead of the other way around. In addition to their having a rather high cost, especially when you add in maintaining them.
No, I'm not fully a Ludite, just a realist. One who's owned a sextant for 25yrs+

Look at how little in terms of conveniences round the world racers carry. Or backpackers etc. It boils down to priorities. And advertising messes with everyone's heads.

Edit: Cal 29's are good boats. My Dad had one for a good decade, & with a few changes I'd have taken her offshore. Several have traveled quite extensively. Even RTW, if memory serves.
You can commonly find them in decent shape, with a truckload of gear & sails, for an asking price of $4k. And there are some other thoughts & tips on candidate boats (& other things) in this post. Sift/filter through it as you see fit. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2206710

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I advise Mexico too. The cost of living is much less there so you will save money for the boat. There are a lot of boat options too. Yes you can make an offer that is lower than asking price. Parts are not cheap in Mexico, but you can go back to the US for parts. Just plan carefully so that you don't waste time or money. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Manuel.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:57   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

I can attest to the discomfort of spending an extended period on a boat with lower headroom than one's height, but then again I'm in my 50's, not my 20's. While it would be nice to have that headroom, I think in your situation you'd be prudent to put that requirement at the back of the bus for the time being. There are far more important considerations given what you want to do with the vessel.

Matt Rutherford circled the Americas on a donated Albin Vega 27 and for that simple fact I'd give it a close look.

I'd be leary of a 1971 centerboard boat for $4,500. Just hauling, inspecting, and fixing anything you find with the board could cost you around the same as the boat itself.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37   #10

there are a couple of chris craft Comanche's for sail in the bay area that will fit your budget. rugged well built but probably have some maintenance issues try latitude 38 or sailboatlistings.com
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:34   #11

Boat: Seaward 25

I suspect that you are already out of time for a US boat. Even if you purchase the boat today, for cash, trying to get it ready for a long passage down the coast in two weeks is rather optimistic at best.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:44   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you post the information on the boats you're looking at, then we can offer up comments, critiques, & suggestions on each of them. Also, if you pick an area where you'd prefer to buy the boat, then a lot of members here will assist you in finding suitable candidate boats.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before. Doh! But it's an easy way for you to recieve some good advice on boats that you're considering.

Also, the comment about your being out of time to buy a boat in the US could certainly be true. And it's something which ran through my mind as well, earlier. With the exception being if you found a boat in San Diego, which is possible, & then sail her down to Ensenada. Or buy something elsewhere in the US, & do a similar, simple, border crossing.

San Diego/SoCal is a great place to shop for boats. And generally, boats there are fairly lightly used. So if you give us the green light, it'll be easy to float suggestions by you. Thoughts?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 13:59   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I think you are under funded. What happens when your visa expires?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 14:31   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You are in luck. Here is a great boat, well within your price range:

Passage making sailboat for sale | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji

I am not the owner, but I also posted it in the classifieds section of CF, if you want more info. Its a steel hulled mason 33, fully equipped, for $9500 cdn, which is about $7000 US...asking price...motivated seller. For real, this is a great boat that will take you across oceans.

Best of luck, and please let us know how it all turns out for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	134926   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	134927  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	134928   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	134929  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:36   #15

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuA View Post
A rawson 30 in la paz for $11.5k. Over my budget but fully equipped for passages. Windvane included. Already in Mexico though. Listed with a broker. Is there often room for negotiations on these deals to bring it down a lot?
Every sale is different as sellers have different motivations. I once bought a fixer upper house that was listed for $120,000. I offered $70,000 and never budged, a week later my offer was accepted.

If you like the Rawson offer $7,000 and stick with it, keep $1,000 for your pocket, you will use it on the boat anyway.

They may take your offer and as well all know "If you don't ask, the answer is always NO!"

Tags
buying, sail, sailboat