Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 05:56   #1

Pearson 35 Centerboard

I have a 1976 Pearson 35 Sloop. I have owned this boat for two years and have had an ongoing problem with the centerboard getting stuck in the up position. There are two other P-35's in my area and the owners say they do not have this problem. I had a young mad crewing for me during a race and I think he pulled the board up too hard and I have not been able to get it down since. This has been an ongoing problem. Have any other owners had this happen?
eander1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 06:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Pearson 35 Centerboard

I see this is your first post. Welcome Aboard CF!

I just sent you a Private Message with some tips, but here is a quick search of the CF Archives on the topic of "Pearson Centerboard."

If you look through these previous discussions, you will likely find the answers you seek or additional information or CF members with your boat model.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ard&gsc.page=1

If you do solve your problem with the stuck board, I hope you will report back on the solution too, as it may help others in the future.

I hope this helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 06:38   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ask the member here named "Roverhi."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Only two possibilites, no, make that three. 1. There is significant growth on the board and/or in the trunk that's causing the board to hang up. 2. Don't know if it's possible with the fiberglass board but the board could be bent from a grounding. 3. The pendant is hanging up in the tube or friction in the winch.

Had my board hangup after more than a year of disuse because of marine growth. Sailed the boat with a some slack in the pennant and it eventually broke free. Cycling the board up and down several times after it came loose cleaned the critters that it's worked fine ever since. Never ever let the board pennant run free when lowering the board. The board will hyper extend crashing into the front of the well denting the board and possible fatal damage to the pin.

Switched from a wire pennant to a Dyneema one. The length of the splice fattened up the line so it jams in the turning block in the bilge and leaves an inch or so of the board's tip hanging below the keel. Before I realized this was happening, yanked pretty hard on the pennant line in the cockpit and the splice section stuck a bit in the turning block. Did this when I was hauled so just jiggled the board a bit and it came free. Now just pull up the board till I get resistance and stop. If you have a wire pennant and it's getting worn or broken strands, it could also be hanging up in the tubing run from the winch to the keel. Occasionally have a little hesitation in the board initially starting down that's been going for the 10 years I've owned the boat. Think that may be some initial friction in the winch but it happens very infrequently and has never hung up. If you want to change the pennant, use the old one as a messenger to pull the new one through. Piece of cake to do and could even be done in the water. If I ever had to replace the Dyneema line might just run the line through the hole in the board, knot and stitch it to get away from the fat line caused by the splice.

Don't know if it's possible to bend the board from grounding, I haven't been able to do it. that could cause the board to hang up. Got the board hung up in my old Morgan C/B boat sailing in the Chesapeake after a grounding. Turned out to be small pebbles stuck between the board and trunk. A little work with a screw driver knocked them out and board worked fine after.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard, pearson