Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 06:04   #1

Boat: Liberty 28
Caribbean to Alaska - Anyone done this? Comments, Suggestions....

Been sailing PR, SVI, USVI, BVI, Leewards and Windwards "intermittently" since 2005. Looking at my "bucket-list", want to do Alaska, west US coast, South America and PR to Grenada. Then why not do it on one trip, no matter how long it might take? Going on 60 in next couple of years so I guess I need to "move". Planning this might as well be as much fun as the trip itself. I will be purchasing and outfitting a 38' - 45' for this so its going to be a "clean canvas" to work on for this one last big "painting". If anyone has done something like this, your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers to all!
commander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:04   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Caribbean to Alaska - Anyone done this? Comments, Suggestions....

Buy a boat in the PNW - Puget Sound. Take a season in that area. Fix/upgrade the boat over the winter. Head up the Inside Passage to SE Alaska in May. Get back end of Aug. Fix the boat. Head south end of Aug, early Sept to San Francisco. Fix the boat. Slow sail to southern Cal. Leave San Diego for Mexico in Nov. Enjoy Pacific Mexico. Then El Salavdor, Costa Rica and Panama. Fix the boat. Head to Ecuador or if you are adventurous head out to Easter Is or Gambier and then back into Chile.

The basic point is it is much easier to head down the west coast than up it of NA.
Old 17-11-2016, 11:52   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

That's my plan.

I know going north along the west coast of North America is slog, but it is what it is.

Richard on Dauntless in Morocco
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:51   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
That's my plan.

I know going north along the west coast of North America is slog, but it is what it is.

Richard on Dauntless in Morocco
If you're heading north from Panama, Mexico, California or even Oregon, rather than bashing your way up a very unfriendly coast against wind and current, head west into the Pacific first, then head north to Hawaii, then the great circle route west and north of the North Pacific High and aim for whichever part of the Pacific North West you want, or better yet, keep heading north and go direct to western Alaska. Open ocean passages, but some pleasant island groups to break things up and then you can run down the west coast as the winds and current encourage you to.

As for the suggestion of buying a boat in the PNW, the selection is smaller and more expensive. If you can afford the time and don't mind the ocean passages, buy your boat where there are lots.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 06:56   #5

Boat: Liberty 28

Appreciate responses from Dauntless and fxykty. Planning this will sure be enjoyable regardless of how it ends. I will keep posting as I go and hopefully get more insight from knowledgeable sources like you seem to be.
commander500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, Caribbean, men, rib