Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 23:58   #1

Pearson 22 good first sailboat?

I have been considering a 22 catalina for a lake nearby. I recently came across a 1968 Pearson 22 (not an ensign) for $750 on the lake. I found it the night it was posted and am first on the list to look at it (planning on looking at it today).

Do any of yall know anything about pearson 22s? The boat comes with 2 main sails, a jib in good condition, along with a working outboard. The boat is currently on the water and ready to sail and the pictures show a clean looking boat. It seems like a good deal but just wanting to make sure its not too good to be true.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
baylorbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 19:19   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Pearson 22 good first sailboat?

Good deal for what kind of money? It's 48 years old so have a knowledgeable friend take a look at her if you don't trust yourself to spot obvious problems. If it doesn't need any immediate repairs you have a good boat to learn the ropes on. Pun intended. The price is the important factor in making the decision.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 22:10   #3

Cool. Thanks Jim.

Old 05-08-2016, 23:35   #4

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

My first sailboat was an '75 or '76 O'Day 21 that I picked up for $1200 on the Chesapeake Bay back in my navy days. Much like your Pearson 22 it had decent sails and a running outboard. Was a great little boat to learn the ropes on and when it came time to part with her, sold her for what I paid for her 2 years previously. For $750, if the boat is even in half-way decent shape I don't think you can go wrong as a first boat and learning experience.
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:56   #5

Boat: lancer 36

hard to go wrong for 750 bucks. if you like the boat when you see it grab it. luck to you.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had an old Pearson 30 for 5 years. SOLID boat. Pearson built them well. A quick google to see the 22, and it looks great.

Like all older boat though, have a good look, and have a knowledgeable friend look too, to be sure its safe.

Other than that, I think its a great deal and you are going to have fun, excitement, and adventure. Enjoy the ride!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:17   #7

My first boat was a Pearson Electra which was 22' . Sailed really well. Felt like a bogger boat. Had full keel. Sorry I sold it.
woodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:13   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorbear View Post
I have been considering a 22 catalina for a lake nearby. I recently came across a 1968 Pearson 22 (not an ensign) for $750 on the lake. I found it the night it was posted and am first on the list to look at it (planning on looking at it today).

Do any of yall know anything about pearson 22s? The boat comes with 2 main sails, a jib in good condition, along with a working outboard. The boat is currently on the water and ready to sail and the pictures show a clean looking boat. It seems like a good deal but just wanting to make sure its not too good to be true.

JMHO, Pearson made a stouter boat that Catalina but Catalina would probably serve you well. Look at the condition at boats. In the price range I would give a lot of attention to the sails.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:33   #9

I ended up not getting it unfortunately. Definitley was a good deal tho.

Ive been curious how much adding systems such as electrical and plumbing adds to the maintenance cost of a boat. I see quite a few pearson 26s and catalina 27s that look nice. The extra size would be cool but with those systems it seems like there is more that could go wrong.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:43   #10

I bought my first sailboat, a Pearson 22 for $2,700, in 1969 and sailed her up and down the California coast and far offshore after friends taught me how to sail. Sold her for $2200 five years later. Upgraded the 6hp outboard to 10hp and put a VHF radio aboard. Never had any problems. Great first boat to learn to sail.
Tempting Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:45   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Ive been curious how much adding systems such as electrical and plumbing adds to the maintenance cost of a boat. I see quite a few pearson 26s and catalina 27s that look nice. The extra size would be cool but with those systems it seems like there is more that could go wrong.

I suggest you hang around the docks. You have gone from apples to oranges with 22 to 27'. Trailer sailor to a slip.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52   #12

Grew up knowing Ev Pearson and Dick Fisher when they both worked on bringing the Pearson and Boston Whaler lines of boat to market. Pearsons were very well made, overbuilt in many regards and are good sailing boats. Some of the earlier ones had quirks like oak rudders that would expand and contract depending on moisture content, but solid nevertheless.

Easy boats to work on. Solid glass, Go for it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55   #13

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Super size for first boat
Mine was a Kelt 21 back in 1985
AfteriI sailed many boats up to 55 feetiI returned to a 26 footer and started enjoying sailing again
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 16:45   #14

Boat: Bristol 38.8

No brainer! My wife and I started with an Oday 22,
Great starter boat, had a couple of issues- wasn't too pretty, but we learned how to sail cheap- 2 years later lived up to a 30' and spent some $ to make it ours.
Go for it- that's little money to learn and figure if it's what you want to do.
Enjoy!
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 16:57   #15

Quote:

Can you elaborate which factors prevailed in your decision not to get this particular boat?

IMO as a first boat for lake sailing/trailering 22' is the right size. Large enough for occasional (or frequent) overnights yet small enough to take her to different sailing areas and easy on the pocketbook as far as dockage and storage fees go. And sure beats not having any boat.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, sail, sailboat